PDA

View Full Version : portrait of my daughter (wip)

ShellyF
04-25-2004, 10:06 PM
This is still not quite finished, although, I,m not really sure where to go with it now (except for finishing the shirt). It's my first acrylic portrait (only my second time using acrylics) , and I have learned many things I think, and I can't wait to get started on another, and hopefully be a bit more successful. I realized that I made the shadows on her left (our right) too dark, and bland, not quite sure how too fix that. Thanks for looking, and of course comments and critiques are quite welcome.

It's 9 x 12 on primed masonite

dspinks
04-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Shelly,

I think this is fabulous! I don't know much about the "logistics" of portrait painting, but one thing I noticed is that the eyes seem just a bit large. That may be just the effect of the extra-dark shadow you mention, which seems to be over-thinning the lower half of her face.

Debra

Marty C
04-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi Shelly,
Wonderful first portrait, really outstanding. The fact that it is only your second acrylic shows you are rapidly mastering the medium.
This has an old master feel to it with lots of darks in borders, background and peripherals, allowing the lights of the focal point to really shine out.
The eyes may be a fraction large but your daughter may be blessed with big beautiful eyes. Better this than the mistake often made in the 1400's to around the 1600's where the artists of the day used adult perspectives on babies and young children, resulting in wizened adult faces on babies - very wierd. Babies and young children have large heads, very big eyes and curved soft noses, all designed to make them adorable and irresistible to adults.
Great work.

ShellyF
04-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks Debra and Marty :) This isn't my first portrait, just the first in acrylics, I may have been a bit confusing the way I stated it.

Yes, you could both be right about the eyes, although she does have the most beautiful big brown eyes (I'm not biased at all am I LOL!!), so maybe I unconsciously made them bigger because it really is the first thing you notice about her. I am attaching the ref photo (should have done that the first time around :o ), so you can spot the differences. I know I got the slant of her lips wrong too, noticed that after the scan, so I will probably go back and work on them.

Thanks so much for taking a look :)

Mumma4x
04-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks Debra and Marty :) This isn't my first portrait, just the first in acrylics, I may have been a bit confusing the way I stated it.

Yes, you could both be right about the eyes, although she does have the most beautiful big brown eyes (I'm not biased at all am I LOL!!), so maybe I unconsciously made them bigger because it really is the first thing you notice about her. I am attaching the ref photo (should have done that the first time around :o ), so you can spot the differences. I know I got the slant of her lips wrong too, noticed that after the scan, so I will probably go back and work on them.

Thanks so much for taking a look :)

Beautiful portrait & little girl you have there. I have to say that your sweet girl looks a lot like I did as a child & also a lot like my younger daughter as well. We have been blessed with big eyes in my family, so I looked at the portrait (before seeing the ref) & didn't think anything of the size of her eyes. You did a wonderful job!

What medium do you normally work with? I've only worked with acrylics a couple of times & I really don't like having to mix the paints to get the color I want, but maybe I'll learn to love it eventually. Keep up the beautiful work!

ShellyF
04-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks Michelle! I have been working on it a bit more, and I don't think the actual iris' are too big, I just had the eyelash line off a bit, plus I think they are a tad too far apart from each other. But other than that I do love her big brown eyes :)!

I have been working in graphite and coloured pencil, but I have to say, I am really enjoying the acrylics. Using c/p gives wonderful results, but it's so time consuming, and I usually start to lose interest halfway through. I've been working on this portrait for only a few days, so I haven't really had the chance to get bored of it. I think having worked with the c/p has taught me to take my time and layer lightly. So many things to learn about the paints though, can't wait to get practicing again. I feel like a kid who just got a new toy LOL!

surreal
04-26-2004, 01:55 AM
I am very much looking forward to seeing this portrait completed!
:clap:

ExpressiveAngie
04-26-2004, 08:04 AM
WOW :eek: !!!
Second acrylic?!!!
You're killing me. :p :D
She's just beautiful - great job!

kdkbrown
04-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Wow! Beautiful! First Acrylic Portrait, you did a fantastic job with this.

Donna

Lady Carol
04-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Wonderful handling of acrylics. The portrait is really nice.

I like the eyes as children tend to have larger eyes than adults do.

ShellyF
04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Thank you so much everyone! I will be putting this one away for a few days, but I did fix the mouth and fiddled with the eyes a bit last night, haven't re-scanned it yet though. Unfortunately family duties call LOL! My kids are in need of clean clothes, and the house needs a good going over. :rolleyes:

Eugene Veszely
04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
You are doing well for a second go.

Should be good after you get back to it. :)

AnitaG
04-26-2004, 02:12 PM
:clap: :clap: I really like your portrait and for your second acrylic it's amazing :clap:

I'm not bothered with the eyes... they looks fone for me.

Anita

katz
04-26-2004, 05:54 PM
This is a wonderful portrait. You did a great job.
She is really a beautiful little girl.
Gay