PDA

View Full Version : a real mini bar

Minibrush
09-08-2001, 11:08 AM
As requested in the Cafe chat last night here is a posting of a project that just received some rehab work for display in a gallery, (along with my miniature paintings) beginning next Friday, the 14th.

This is the Gold Coin Saloon, an 1870's built bar that was in the town where I grew up in the Colorado Rockies. I've depicted it in the 1960's with some local characters: Jack Brown, the unfriendly bartender known for service without a smile; Shorty (seated at the bar), the, well, town drunk; and Max (the guy with the cowboy hat) the local postmaster who loved to tip a few, always after work, (he was my dad).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2001/saloon.jpg

I made everything in the bar roombox. It measures 42" long by 18" by 18". The paintings on the wall were some of my first miniatures, the bottles are made from transluscent polymer clay, and labeled with liquor labels from the liquor store newspaper ads, that I then colored in with pencil. All the woodworking is made from thin veneer woods, including the floor and ceiling. The hanging oil lamps are polymer clay, that I recently electrified, so now all of the lights actually work. The music machines and juke box are veneer wood cabinets, and contain contents that look authentic and are also lighted now. One of the Wurlitzer music machines was a "one man band". It had a carved wood mechanical fellow who hit a drum in time with the music that came from actual violins, a small piano and cymbals. Although my music machines do not function, they are filled with replicas of the instruments and of course, the little wood guy.

Jack, Max and Shorty are sculpted from polymer clay. They were the first "dolls" I've ever sculpted. (and the last, so far).

I probably missed some details, and it's difficult to see everything with the small image, but it's tough to show with file size limitations. Anyone near Colorado can see it at the Evergreen Gallery, in Evergreen, Sept. 14 through mid October.

I hope you enjoy.

Minibrush

paintfool
11-09-2001, 11:54 AM
OH! wow! I don't know how i missed this for this long! That's amazing work!!!!! Your patience is astounding! Good job!!! I would love to see this in person. If this piece is only 18" i height those 'mini' paintings on the wall have got to be what? an inch?? Thanks for showing this :)
Cheryl

Minibrush
11-09-2001, 02:19 PM
Thanks Cheryl. I don't know if it's patience or lunacy. Yes the paintings are about an inch to an inch and a half. I work a bit larger than that normally now. And you're welcome.

Mini

paintfool
11-10-2001, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Minibrush
I don't know if it's patience or lunacy.
LOL! Probably both! But hey, if ya gotta be crazy this is a wonderful way to do it! :D
Cheryl

kimcaplan
12-17-2001, 04:58 AM
Simply fabulous work minibrush.I cannot begin to imagine the hours and hours of work.Way to go !Kim

Minibrush
12-17-2001, 08:12 AM
Thank you Kim. Appreciate the kind words. Yes, you're on the right track, hours and hours. Over 3,000 in fact. But it was a labor of love.

Minibrush.

Leaflin
01-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Hi Minibrush :)
This is wonderful.
My Mom works in miniatures and I have always admired the time and patience that goes into her art.
I am so glad I didn't miss this thread.

Minibrush
01-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Thank you leaflin. Glad you didn't miss it also.

Minibrush

joemajury
01-31-2002, 03:09 PM
This is a fabulous piece.
3000 hours, can you convert that into $.
Must be worth quite a bit in hours alone.
You can tell just by looking at it thats its a labour of love

Joe

Minibrush
01-31-2002, 04:29 PM
Thanks, Joe. It will be getting yet more of my time, it had a little damage from the gallery display. They placed it in a south facing window. A bit too hot!

Gee, I hate to work for anything under $10 an hour, anytime. But at that price, I think you can see that this a piece that will grow old with me.

But it has brought other income to me. The gallery where it was exhibited last fall has decided to continue displaying my paintings, and have been averaging a couple of sales a month. That puts a big smile on the old mug.

Thanks again. I'm always surprised that someone keeps finding this post.

Minibrush