PDA

View Full Version : Supply and Pilot Boats

PETERH
04-25-2004, 11:58 AM
These are a couple of my latest marine paintings.

Critique welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2004/8730-Pilot_Boat_small.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2004/8730-Supply_boat_2_small.JPG

Marty C
04-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi Peter,
You are obviously not afraid to use strong saturated colour in your work and it is highly effective in increasing the drama, emphasising the wildness of sea and sky. It is interesting that although the boats are the focal point your loose brushstrokes and strong colour in surrounding seas and sky make them seem small while promotoing the wildness of the elements. At the same time there is enough detail of the boats themselves to fully appreciate their form and beauty. Very nice work.

PETERH
04-26-2004, 03:07 AM
Thanks Marty!

I believe in letting the observer take part in "finishing" the painting, so it's not necessary to paint every detail. Something has to be left to the imagination.

Sometimes, a painting starts to become "flat", especially if you approach the point of overworking it! Then there's the option of "kill or cure", so I add darker areas to increase tension. I believe the correct expression is to "get the values right", but I'm not a trained artist, so I don't know the technicalities! :)

laudesan
04-26-2004, 03:21 AM
Peter, I love your style, and these paintings are exceptional as usual!!!!!!!!

I love your "whites"..

Fabulous work!!

PETERH
04-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks JJ !

Remember - "Don't paint until you see the whites of their eyes" (Michael Caine paraphrase) :D

brrice
04-26-2004, 04:06 PM
I love the way you use water color so effectivly . You used limited detail to get the drama of the sea. I believe you do well at letting the viewer use their imagination to fill in the detail. You said you are not a trained artist.I am not trained in a school either. But, we learn as we go. I find our fellow artists here at wetcanvas a good resourse to throw an image out there and get their input. Love your loose style. Behind the looseness I can see the skill.

artistodon
04-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Wow such energy and power. I love them. I wish you wouldn't allow your viewers to finish the painting for themselves though, because I think I just saw myself throwing up over the side of the first one. Hope I didn't mess up your painting to bad.
Don :)

PETERH
04-27-2004, 02:43 AM
Thanks Brian!

It's great to get encouragement from this website!

I wonder if abstract painting develops out of the intention to let the observer complete the painting? It might be interesting to try a series of paintings, using the same subject but showing less and less detail. Could be a good idea for a project on this website! :)
The artists could begin by showing their final painting and let members guess what the subject is - then, progressively, the other paintings could be revealed.

Thanks Don!

If these make you seasick - don't look at the "Tanker Series" I posted on this forum! :D

meowmeow
04-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Lots of wonderful movement here! REally nice...nice to look at, but I don't think I would want to be out there on those boats!

Sandy

PETERH
04-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Thanks Sandy!

It's the feeling that I was trying to capture.

Funny how a painting can sometimes show more feeling than a photograph! Of course there are brilliant photographers that can capture a particular mood as well! I suppose it's all down to the "artistic eye".

ripvanblair
04-28-2004, 05:00 AM
These are excellent Peter portrays the power of the waves admirabley------well done--------Alan

PETERH
04-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks Alan!

I hope I at least got the feeling right!

However, the more I look at them, the more I feel that the waves are not very realistic. There are other artists here who can portray waves much better. Even the clouds are weird! I suppose they could be taken for mountains! :D

But doesn't this show that it's really not necessary to portray the world as it "really" is, in order to capture the feeling?

Worth thinking about!

LisaArt
04-28-2004, 07:34 AM
WOW these are also great Peter! Such storng bold colours and movement. I like your waves. And I dont think they look like mountains in back. It appears to me to be a wild storm starting. I would be afraid to be out there!

Quote: But doesn't this show that it's really not necessary to portray the world as it "really" is, in order to capture the feeling? Quote

Yes I agree with that totally! You might as well have a photograph if you want that effect. Great work! I love the unreal!

PETERH
04-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Ah! I see we're on the same "wavelength"! :D