PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Canvas Apr.25 - May.2

surreal
04-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi All,
I hope everyone is enjoying a pleasant weekend.
:)
I have made substantial progress on my acrylic painting, I am happy to say.

I hope everyone else is being artistically productive!
:D

idahogirl
04-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Have been working in acrylic this week too...keep switching back and forth between acrylic and oil. Acrylic can be frustrating but I believe it to be the most exciting medium out there...it is so versatile. Am working on a block study from The Impressionist Landscape and trying to get similar glowing results with acrylic as can be achieved in oils....wish me luck!

Dee

surreal
04-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Have been working in acrylic this week too...keep switching back and forth between acrylic and oil. Acrylic can be frustrating but I believe it to be the most exciting medium out there...it is so versatile. Am working on a block study from The Impressionist Landscape and trying to get similar glowing results with acrylic as can be achieved in oils....wish me luck!

Dee

Good luck to you, Dee!
You can do it!
:D

I switch back and forth between gouache, archival pens and acrylic paints.

Enchanted
04-25-2004, 07:51 PM
After brunch with a dear friend, we traveled to the "ghost town" of White Oaks, New Mexico, where the annual artist event took place. The day was as fine as one could ask for, the artists were actually selling things and my friend and I had a good time. What more could one ask for! I was telling her that I know more people out in the more remote regions of our remote county than I do in the more populous town that I live in. Not odd, I suppose, when I stop to think that's where most of the productive artists I know live!

2004 White Oaks Art Tour (http://www.whiteoaksnewmexico.com/)

surreal
04-25-2004, 07:55 PM
After brunch with a dear friend, we traveled to the "ghost town" of White Oaks, New Mexico, where the annual artist event took place. The day was as fine as one could ask for, the artists were actually selling things and my friend and I had a good time. What more could one ask for! I was telling her that I know more people out in the more remote regions of our remote county than I do in the more populous town that I live in. Not odd, I suppose, when I stop to think that's where most of the productive artists I know live!
Hi,
Do you live near Abiquiu or Taos?

Enchanted
04-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi,
Do you live near Abiquiu or Taos?

What does "near" mean to you? In terms of the wide open spaces of the USA west, I suppose one could say that 300 miles is "near." I actually live in the south-central mountains...and as you can see from my location under my alias, the town I live in is Ruidoso. It's yet another tourist resort town that sits at 7,500 ft elevation in the Lincoln National Forest, surrounded by the forest and neighboring the famous Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation.

Here is the reference for the White Oaks tour which I forgot to include in my original post, but I'll go back and edit that too in order to add the following:

surreal
04-25-2004, 08:35 PM
What does "near" mean to you? In terms of the wide open spaces of the USA west, I suppose one could say that 300 miles is "near." I actually live in the south-central mountains...and as you can see from my location under my alias, the town I live in is Ruidoso. It's yet another tourist resort town that sits at 7,500 ft elevation in the Lincoln National Forest, surrounded by the forest and neighboring the famous Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation.

Here is the reference for the White Oaks tour which I forgot to include in my original post, but I'll go back and edit that too in order to add the following:

I am glad that you enjoyed your time spent at White Oaks.

I live in New York City, but visited New Mexico about 10 years ago; it was a very memorable trip for me.

I adored visiting Abiquiu, Taos, Santa Fe and visiting all of the exquisite areas surrounding these places. :D

I remember thinking of Abiquiu, that the mountains there were such fantastic inspiration for Georgia O'Keeffe.

I also remember seeing mountain ranges that were an exquisite orange color!!!

I just wondered if you lived near any of the beautiful areas that I visited.

Granted, there was so much that I did not see, that could be of equal or greater beauty.

ExpressiveAngie
04-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Hello All,
I painted a coupla things this weekend and wouldnt show em to yall for money! Horrible stuff. I will try to rework one of them this week and the other...well can you say *gesso* :p

Enchanted
04-26-2004, 11:09 AM
I just wondered if you lived near any of the beautiful areas that I visited.

The interesting thing about people who live within the state of New Mexico is that those in the northern half rarely think of the southern half of the state as being part of the state! That goes right down to state government oversight. We in the southern half must bite and scratch for every little bit we get for our tax dollars, which usually support northern expenditures. But the second largest city in the state is no longer Santa Fe, it is Las Cruces, which is in turn one of the fastest-growing cities in the USA today.

Southern New Mexico Online Magazine (http://southernnewmexico.com/)

This is a great online magazine with just about everything you would ever want to know about "southern New Mexico." And if you're really interested, New Mexico Magazine - the paper version - is reputed to be the oldest "state" publication of its kind. It's available by subscription at:

Paper Publication for NM (http://www.nmmagazine.com/)

And yes, this magazine does occasionally have articles about the southern half of the state - but most often they cover the northern half.

Here's an interesting statistic, based on the latest national census. The entire state of New Mexico still has less then 2 million population! So come and visit and not feel claustraphobia!

Lady Carol
04-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Morning all!!! Another dreary day in the northeast. Roll on May and warmer weather. I love the flowering trees here. I grew up in Sydney where the trees do not lose their leaves and they do not explode into flower after winter. So imaging the first time I saw the profilic blooms on trees...it just takes the breath away.

I sold 3 paintings over the weekend, so you can imaging that I am thrilled to bits about that. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have also discovered that bigger is better and I have almost finished an 18X24 inch tulip which I am extremely happy with. :D

surreal
04-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Hello All,
I painted a coupla things this weekend and wouldnt show em to yall for money! Horrible stuff. I will try to rework one of them this week and the other...well can you say *gesso* :p

I hate when this same thing happens to me!!!
;)
But one can always paint over acrylic paintings and create new ones!!!
I have done this often.
;)

surreal
04-28-2004, 06:53 PM
I sold 3 paintings over the weekend, so you can imaging that I am thrilled to bits about that. :clap: :clap: :clap:

........................:D

Congrats on your sales!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
04-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Carol, how the heck did I miss your post?!! Congratulations! :clap: