PDA

View Full Version : Good Sunday Morning Chitty-Chat 4/25/04

McDuck
04-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Good Morning Fellow WC'ers. I hop eyou are having a wonderful Sunday. Yesterday I spent the day outside, made a new flower patch around my mailbox, helped the hired hand remove three thrubs and some rock out of my fron flower bed and today I get to go buy dirt and stuff to fill it then move my flowers into it! i cant wait for it to become perty!! I will do a little in my studio today some glazing and more handformed beadies. And going to watch one more movie. Taking it easy ont eh weekend before I go back into production mode and then off this week to soem local bead shops to sell my beadies :p wish me luck on that one!

Have a great day!
Mary...errrr...McDuck

debkauz
04-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi there,
Sounds like you had a productive day yesterday! I played with a little wire but didn't do much but run around.
We were going to go to the Art Institute to see the Rembrandt but I don't want to go there on a weekend. Much of the work is to be looked at with magnifying glasses and I don't think I could cope with someone who wanted to stand and look at one piece for 10 minutes while others were waiting.

So...we are going to China. Wish it was the country, but it is the exhibit at the Field Museum. It's supposed to be wonderful. The flyer we got looked great, too.

Looks like it will rain again here today, so I will take the brolly. I loose umbrellas like mad. I had 6 in the trunk of my car about a year ato and I have no idea where any of them are now. Don bought me a great one and I won't use it. He's always asking me where it is and I just tell him I left it at home so I wouldn't lose it. He thinks I'm nuts. Oh, well, I may get to use a virgin umbrella today! :o

Have a great day all!!!

Deb

artbabe21
04-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Good Sunday morn to all!
Please be sure & read the new Forum Guidlines that we've come up with & start a thread for a name for your weekly chat thread. It's good to have one name for this that everyone can readily identify with. It's my understanding that the Show & Tell thread will keep that name. Thanks for your understanding...:)

McDuck
04-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Eww Ack, one show and tell and one chat thread per week? That thing is going to grow to gigantic lengths and be a bit unmanegeable for viewers, but its WC's choice. All I can say is eww and ack.
-Mary

Barrie
04-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Without causing great angst and having things thrown at me, are we allowed to ask why? If the majority of the users of this forum want a daily show & tell and a daily chat, would it not be possible to have that? I think the reason the Glass Arts forum has grown to such great proportions is because people are allowed to get to know each other much better through their morning chats and show & tells. As this is such a new forum, I understand that it would be impractical to have the "Lobby", "Showcase", and "Technical" areas. But the biggest draw to any forum, I think, is getting to know other artists, and through that familiarity being encouraged to explore other mediums which would lead us to other areas of WC. Unfortunately for most of us, time is very dear, and having to sift through a very lengthy weekly chat/show & tell just isn't practical. Too bad, this place was shaping up quite nicely!!

Anyway, Good morning all. Sorry for the diatribe, but this is THE 'chat thread' fo the week, so thought I better get my chatting out. I'm dissappointed that we weren't given any input into this, but as Mary put it, it is WC's choice. On a plus note, I guess I'll get more work doen this way!!

Have a great day all, I'll check in later today, but have to go teach a class in town (second day of a two day workshop). Hope you all get lots done, enjoy the weather, and have fun for me!!!

TheBlueBetween
04-25-2004, 12:25 PM
What Barrie said....

Morning everyone. This makes me really sad. I was really enjoying this forum and thought things were going along just fine as is (was). Things don't seem at all unmanageable or excessive, especially coming from glass art. And we all get along so well... Oh well.

Well, I won't hog the weekly thread either... have a good sunday everyone...

beclectic
04-25-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm am not real thrilled with the idea of one chat and one show and tell for the week but I guess we have to play along. Pitty the poor person that only drops in once in a while. :( They will have a lot to catch up on, on those threads. I feel like this kind of organization takes the spontaeity out of everyone and that is what I love so much about this forum, the dynamic free wheeling ideas that just flow. I hope we can keep that atmosphere within the new framework.

I would like to request that the moderators change the title of this thread to contain 4/25 through 4/31 so no gets confused and starts another Chitty-Chat tomorrow. Then we would have people not knowing which thread to post on and maybe not posting at all.

It started out rainy here today but it is nice and sunny now. I plan to work on the garden bracelet and hopefully finish it, then start on the next one. I've already got some more ideas I want to try. I want to finish it before the sun goes down so I can get some good photos of it.

Back to work for me, have a good one.

DonnaBee
04-25-2004, 12:31 PM
I would prefer a daily show n tell, and a daily chat.

toozygoot
04-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Even tho' I've been away from WC a couple weeks now, I find that I gravitate to this forum so eagerly to see what everyone is up to and to find out about the people here. I was wondering why we couldn't keep the "daily's". It seems like it would be more manageable than weekly threads.

Mary - love your tiny head! It's so good to see you!

pat

artbabe21
04-25-2004, 01:21 PM
I would like to request that the moderators change the title of this thread to contain 4/25 through 4/31 so no gets confused and starts another Chitty-Chat tomorrow

Is that the name you ALL want for your chat thread? It has changed so much there might be other alternatives? They would begin on Monday so this one will not be going the full week.

The weekly was chosen after checking many other forums & seeing what the
norm was. You make good points about a daily, both for a chat thread and a show & tell. We certainly want you to be happy with these so let me talk to Diane about making this change...:)

We'd like to see the same name though each day if it goes to daily for less confusion...same for show & tell. You need to decide what these names will be.

Barrie
04-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Cathleen! Thank you for listening to us. I'm sure we could agree on a daily thread title for our show & tell threads and our chat threads, if it meant we could keep having them daily. Perhaps we could have a poll for the names? I'm on my way out the door but would love to put one together later today, if no one has taken upon themselves to do so. If we have the poll, let it run for 48 hours or so, then I'm sure we'd know what we all want to call it. Oops, gotta run. Looking forward to seeing what follows!! (And thanks again Cathleen).

mistymade
04-25-2004, 01:45 PM
That is very disappointing!!!
I also prefer to have a daily show & tell and a daily chat and I agree with everything Barrie said.

I like to know more about my fellow artists who share the same passions as myself, and the daily chat helps me to do that. People are more likely to post their work and share if they feel like they know the forum members. We enjoy saying "Good Morning" to everyone" and we enjoy wishing everyone a happy day. It will not be the same to say "have a happy week everyone". A weekly chat thread will grow too huge to read. It will not be as enjoyable. Very disappointing.

I understand that chat and OT items are meant for Cafe Guerbois, and I visit that forum often, but I hardly ever post there. I feel the most comfortable sharing my life, my interest, and my daily pondering with people who share similarities with myself.

Isn't it easier to have one daily chat in our own forum versus each of us going over to Cafe Guerbois and each of us starting our own thread over there? Are we generating too many threads in this forum? What if each of us started our own thread each day showing what we created that day...would that be better? It would create even more threads than one simple daily show & tell. I'm just curious as to the reasoning :confused:

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

EDIT: Oooops, I didn't see Cathleen's update. I'm sure we will all agree on a name, I really hope we get to keep the daily's!:) I'm fixing to walk out the door to go sit in class the rest of the day (sure wish I was sitting in Barrie's class!) I will be sure to vote when the poll is posted.
Thank you Cathleen!

beclectic
04-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Is that the name you ALL want for your chat thread? It has changed so much there might be other alternatives? They would begin on Monday so this one will not be going the full week.

The weekly was chosen after checking many other forums & seeing what the
norm was. You make good points about a daily, both for a chat thread and a show & tell. We certainly want you to be happy with these so let me talk to Diane about making this change...:)

We'd like to see the same name though each day if it goes to daily for less confusion...same for show & tell. You need to decide what these names will be.

OK, I can work in this framwork much better. What does everyone think about a name for the Chat and for the Show and Tell?

Some of my ideas. The name should have the date in it so we can search back if we are looking for something. I like Chitty-Chat but it is kind of girlie, should we go with something more generic? What about something like 'Chatter 4/25', or 'Good Morning Chat 4/25', or 'Daily Chat 4/25'?

I think everyone has been very creative with the Show & Tell but usually it contains the words 'Show' and 'Tell' so maybe we should just keep it simple with 'Show & Tell 4/25' or 'Show Your Stuff 4/25'?

Let's try to get some ideas up here so Barrie or whoever decides to make the poll has some good names to put in the poll. Hoping to get your feedback,

TheBlueBetween
04-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Thank you for hearing us and talking with the other moderators. If you go to Glass Art you will see there are multiple daily chats and show and tells. And that people seem to have fun trying to come up with new creative names for the chats and show and tells. It's part of the fun, and not confusing really. It's fun and creative.

Edited to say, that I would gladly give up the ability to choose our fun and creative thread naming ablilities to have daily threads....

flynfire
04-25-2004, 02:33 PM
We do need moderators and guides and I won't go away mad no matter what the final decision, but here's my 2 cents.

I like the idea of a daily show n' tell as long as it is in one thread. For example, the Watercolor forum has become ponderous for me to visit due to individual posts/replies on a daily basis. They have a Gallery forum devoted to those individual posts, but if I miss a couple of days, I can spend another day trying to view the work. I have never posted in that forum although that is why I originally joined WetCanvas.

This forum is not as large. As a result of the friendly atmosphere, I see I have accidentally lost my "New Member" status which I proudly held for almost a year and a half.

I also like the daily "hello" thread. I don't care what it's called, as long as it doesn't have the "M" word in the title (Morning :mad: ).

Kit

DonnaBee
04-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Thank you Cathleen so much for listening to us! :clap:

I can't tell you how relieved I am. :)

Thank you, truly.

It doesn't matter to me what the dailies are called.

McDuck
04-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Thank you Cathleen, we appreciate your thoughtfulness towards our feelings and thoughts on this.

As for what to call them? the vote sounds great. Yeah "Show & Tell date" probably workds esiest, and as for the daily chat thread...let's try to figure that one out.

-Mary...errrr...McDuck who has finished planting all her flowers inthe front except one! didnt buy it yet. lol

DonnaBee
04-25-2004, 03:47 PM
I find it helpful when the name of the day of the week is included, such as:

Sunday April 25 '04 - Chat

Show n Tell Sunday, April 25 '04

artbabe21
04-25-2004, 04:15 PM
as for the daily chat thread...let's try to figure that one out.

Well, you may or may not want something creative...here's a few from different forums...:)

Oil rag-oil forum
Daily wash-watercolor forum
Weekly scumble-pastels
Daily-photography

What Donna has suggested is simple & effective but it's up to you all to decide if you want it creative or simple... ;)

Once you get enough suggestions, someone please start a poll...okey doke?

DonnaBee
04-25-2004, 05:05 PM
How about

"What to Wear" or something to that effect!

:D

beclectic
04-25-2004, 05:20 PM
What about borrowing from the Aussie vernacular with just a simple:

G'day All Sun. 4/25

And for the Show & Tell:

Look What I Finished Sun. 4/25

debkauz
04-25-2004, 06:09 PM
I also don't care what it's called, although I would prefer something simple. I just want it to be daily. I don't always get on in the morning, so I don't always post but I like to read it when I do get there. I also never go to Cafe Ger...whatever. I will have to check it out sometime. I, for now at least, want this channel to be the way we want it to be. If we can all agree, I think we can convince people of what we want.

Deb

DonnaBee
04-25-2004, 06:59 PM
I just love this place!

Beads-Me!
04-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Goodness - I'm gone for a day and look at all that's happened. I'm glad that we're going to keep the daily thread and show and tell! What a calm and civil resolution to the problem... I'm so pleased with how we've all dealt with the situation. A round of applause for you all - :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ... I too don't really care what they're called as long as we can continue to have both!

Sorry I didn't have time to check in this morning - my buddy and I stayed up waaaaayyyy too late playing with beads and ribbon last night and then had to get up and get to church this morning. Today was the big church auction to raise funds to take care of our budget deficit. WHat an amazing variety of items there were!

Now I'm off to finalize cabin plans before we head off to Baltimore on Friday. Hope you all had a wonderful day

Shirley C.
04-25-2004, 08:24 PM
...Sorry I didn't have time to check in this morning - my buddy and I stayed up waaaaayyyy too late playing with beads and ribbon last night ...

hey, 'sis', you gonna show us?

diane555
04-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Hello everyone

I've read through all your thoughts regarding the weekly thread and I certainly want everyone to be happy with the forum so here's my thoughts on the topic. How about a daily chat thread (with whatever name ya'll choose) and a weekly show & tell thread. As for posting pics of your works...I hope all of you will post your beautiful pieces in individual threads often...even if they're not finished. We all love to watch a piece develop and those kinds of threads are absolutely what this forum is about! :)

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Di

TheBlueBetween
04-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Thank you again Di and Cathleen, for listening to us :)

I am confused about why it matters that the show and tell be weekly, but it's ok to post individual pieces as often as we wish. What are you trying to accomplish by having the S&T be weekly?

The show and tell was our way of keeping the threads manageable - a trick we must have learned over at the Glass Art forum - rather than have 10-100 people posting new threads for each item every day, we self organized it into a daily show and tell - where we can keep everything for one day together. In glass art -they sometimes have so many pieces and comments that it gets broken into a day and night one as it gets to be too hard to comment on them all. I can see that happening here as our little community grows too.

When a show & tell thread gets too long - it's too hard to give each piece the attention it deserves. On the other hand, if we all post individually, items might get missed as they move to the second page of the forum...

I'm not sure what made you feel that the way we have been doing it was wrong?

Again, thanks for listening and making me feel that we will be able to work this out so all are happy.

Pam

beclectic
04-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Hello everyone

I've read through all your thoughts regarding the weekly thread and I certainly want everyone to be happy with the forum so here's my thoughts on the topic. How about a daily chat thread (with whatever name ya'll choose) and a weekly show & tell thread. As for posting pics of your works...I hope all of you will post your beautiful pieces in individual threads often...even if they're not finished. We all love to watch a piece develop and those kinds of threads are absolutely what this forum is about! :)

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Di

Here are my thoughts about show and tell. I like the daily. Personally, unless someone is going to post a lot of details or unless they are starting a thread on a technique or certain style of work I prefer to find what new things everyone is making in one thread where I don't have to search around for each new piece someone has posted. That way once I've commented on the first few pieces I am subscribed to the thread and I get a notification that something new is there. It is all in one place easy to find. Additionally, my production is low so I look forward to getting my few new pieces in the daily show and tell where my piece can be with the other new pieces.

Finally, you don't go to a museum to look at one piece of art, at least usually you don't. Even the grand masters are hung in shows with others of the same period, style or subject. The comparison is part of the appreciation.

These are just my preferences, others may differ.

Emjay
04-25-2004, 10:00 PM
I MUCH prefer daily threads. I don't participate in the chats much, but ALWAYS check the show and tell, and I think if it was a week long, it would get tedious to browse and LONG. I like that I can just click on today's threads and see what's new. Don't care about the name--something simple with the date is fine with me.
Thanks,
Jean

DonnaBee
04-25-2004, 10:05 PM
I much prefer the daily Show n Tell thread.

Beads-Me!
04-25-2004, 11:25 PM
I would prefer a daily show and tell hands down! Weekly would get to large to be manageable.... And I like to see all of them in one spot - that way we don't flood the forum with each individual piece... Seems much easier that way... imho... :D

MadameKali
04-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Okay, well, first off, I'm back :)

Secondly, even though I am new (and maybe that's good to get a fresh perspective), I will put in my two cents.

I think regulating the kinds of posts we are allowed to put up and how often, as regarding show and tell OR chatter, seems a bit pointless. This is supposed to be a community; I chat on several other boards, one of which has many forums that I keep up with daily, and I cross post in many forums, and there are no such regulations there. Everyone seems to be able to keep up with the various topics just fine. I think in here that everyone seems to keep up with the various topics just fine, as well. I've never known a flourishing community that limits its denizens' ability to chat. :confused:

I'm not precisely sure what limiting our "ability" to post chatter or show and tell threads is supposed to accomplish. I have never seen that kind of regulation on another board; most of the limitations I have seen on other boards is along the lines of "don't hog the board and show off your stuff without commenting on others'." Is there reasoning behind this decision? I haven't really noticed that we are horribly off topic here, or that things are very jumbled and crazy; on the contrary, I think we have a nice camaraderie here, one that I'd hate to see interfered with. I can honestly say that if we limited the show and tell posts to once a week, or any sort of post to once a week, I would not come here nearly as often--who wants to wade through 20 pages of show and tell post? Once that thread got past a few pages, I wouldn't want to post my things there, anyway--they'd just get buried. I'll be sad if this happens, I won't have nearly as much fun posting here. :(

Susie

Barrie
04-26-2004, 01:49 AM
Well, been gone all day, and this thread is still hopping! Excellent!! It's wonderful to see us all trying to come up with an equitable solution. It seems to me that it's time for a poll. Actually I think it's time for two polls. That way we can SHOW the moderators or other powers that be what we want. One poll will be for daily/weekly show & tells and chats - the second will be what to call them.

But before I do that (you didn't think you were getting off that easy did you! :evil: ) - my thoughts are the if we have a daily show & tell, and a daily chat, it will serve everyone's purposes (personal opinion - refer to upcoming poll to post your two cents! :) ). I also think we should have separate WIP (work in progress) threads for individuals, should they choose to post a separate thread of their own work. The stipulation for posting your own thread is that it should include photos of the work at the start, during and finished, along with brief (key word here!) descriptions of the process. We should refrain from posting things like "check out this new necklace i made" or "Here's a new purse I came up with" - those are appropriate for the daily show & tell (should we opt for that route). If you wish to psot something like "what kind of clasp should this have?" or "Where do I find fabric like this?", those would go in their own threads. Make sense? This, of course, is my own two cents worth, not by any means the opinion of any one else. So having said all that, I'm off to create my first two polls!! (hope I can figure that out!!).