PDA

View Full Version : Wire help needed for lampwork pendants

Vickie Lee
04-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi there..!!
I posted my question in Glass Art and it was suggested I try for some answers at this forum. I am making large lampworked beads (45mm) and I need to find out what sterling silver wire is best to use for the headpins..?
My one reply suggested 22 gauge half hard.....do others use anything different.? Would it be the same for gold filled wire as well..???
Thank you for any help someone can offer me.
Vickie

ringslingin
04-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Most headpins are made of 22 ga wire. The hardness doesn't much matter, as when you heat it to make the headpins, it will get softer anyways. You can use any size wire that you want, although I wouldn't go smaller than 24ga. It really depends on the hole size of your bead. 20, 18, or 16 ga might be better suited for lampwork beads with larger holes.

Good Luck :)

Denise

P.S. Can't remember the name of the thread, but if you look back through the list there is a thread all about making headpins~!

Barrie
04-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Hi Vicki! And welcome to our little section of WC!! For pendants of that size, I would suggest a minimum of 20 gauge, if not 18. A heavy focal like that would wear away a 22 gauge in no time (if you wear it alot! :) ). Somewhere around here is a tutorial on making your own headpins, I'm sure the more infintely organized people will point you in the right direction!

Let us know if we can help in any other way!!

Vickie Lee
04-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Hi Vicki! And welcome to our little section of WC!! For pendants of that size, I would suggest a minimum of 20 gauge, if not 18. A heavy focal like that would wear away a 22 gauge in no time (if you wear it alot! :) ). Somewhere around here is a tutorial on making your own headpins, I'm sure the more infintely organized people will point you in the right direction!

Let us know if we can help in any other way!!
Barrie....
If you use 18-20 gauge sterling wire for large beads, do you get dead soft or half hard with larger wire.??? A friend said that if I use dead soft that I would have to solder and with half hard I wouldn't.
Sometimes it's overwhelming how much I am trying to learn online..but I couldn't have done it without all of the folks here at WetCanvas..!! Thanks to all of you..!!!
Vickie

beclectic
04-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Here is a link to one of the discussions about headpins.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174622&highlight=headpin

If you go to the top of the page and type 'headpin' into the search argument, without the quotes, then choose Forum in the 'in:' drop down box then click the GO button you will get a lot of information about headpins.

Most people that make headpins in large quantities recommend that you tumble them afterwards which will make them much harder so it doesn't matter what hardness you start with. When you heat the wire to make the ball the wire will loose it's temper and become softer anyway.