PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Book Reviews?

terriv
04-24-2004, 11:06 PM
I have looked at a million and one acrylic painting books at the online book stores.

I am predominantly interested in:
color (Particulary mixing, also color schemes.)
acrylic techniques (Particularly for portraits. I'm an oil person trying to overcome the blending problems with acrylics and also trying to learn about glazing, etc.)

I don't want, "This is how to paint a seascape exactly like mine!"

I don't care for abstracts or wild "modern art" much so examples should be realism, or at a miminum impressionism.

I can't spend a fortune so an entire library of books is out (as much as I would love to).

Please tell me what books you have and what you love or hate about them.
Thank you in advance!

Oh, and also, if you have books that you have finished reading and would like to pass on, please let us know what you have and the specifics.

coherent
04-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Actually, I had the same question recently and did quite a bit of research regarding other folks opinions here and other forums.. after all was said and done I ordered three and am extremely pleased. They are all great references. If I was only getting one or two, my preference would be in the order listed, but all have valuable information and are worth having. One thing that may help, is that after seaching for the lowest price, I found overstock.com to be the lowest of all (including amazon, yahoo, etc) and shipping cost was very very low, and delivery time reasonable.

~The Acrylics Book, Barclay Sheaks
~The Encylopedia of Acrylic techniques, by Hazel Harrison
~The North Light Book of Acrylic Painting techniques, Earl Greenville Killeen

Good luck!
-Marc

Eugene Veszely
04-25-2004, 12:28 PM
"Painters Guide to Color" by Stephen Quiller is a great book. :)

terriv
04-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. Neither of you really said why you liked the books. I will check them out from what I can find on line. Hazle Harrison seems to have a MULTITUDE of acrylic books out there and they all look good. So far I ordered her "Art School How to Paint and Draw" mainly BECAUSE WAS ACTUALLY ABLE TO WIN AN AUCTION (It ended at 5 am!).

I found this on color that looked rather interesting:
http://www.in2art.com/product/484

Eugene Veszely
04-26-2004, 11:01 AM
I mentioned it because ...

1.I like stephen Quillers work

2.The book is all about color mixing/combinations and color harmony in ones painting.

3. He paints in acrylic.

4.I though it was just what you were looking for :)

luci
04-28-2004, 06:27 PM
For color, I like "Exploring Color" by Nita Leland. Many of the examples are presented in watercolor, but you can use other media. It has sections on the science and history of color theory, understanding characteristics of pigments, mixing with a basic palette, using contracts of hue, value, and intensity, and developing color schemes.

Another useful book is Liquitex's "How to mix and use color". It has a color chart for Liquitex paints and a value scale as well as mixing advice.

For acrylic techniques, I would suggest "The Acrylic Painter's Book of Styles & Techniques" by Rachel Wolf. It has examples of traditional techniques, glazing, watercolor effects, and impasto. But it is mostly landscapes, so I don't know how much it would help you with portraits.

Have you checked your local public library for books? I often check out half a dozen and skim through them before deciding what to order for my reference library. Also check the internet for used book sources.