PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with texture...

GoldCoin
04-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Done in both Painter and Photoshop. All digital painting.

Photo source was from a great collection by "Photography on the Run." :)

Elvira
04-24-2004, 04:32 PM
I love this image it is very painterly, your use of broad strokes is well executed. And you didn't overwhelem the subject with texture as so often seems to happen when painting digitally.:clap:
Edie

Chiers
04-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Nice job. And yes, very painterly. One thing I noticed is the black tie on the hat seems to appear more as a hole in the canvas. Using a dark shade of another color would solve that.

Jet
04-24-2004, 10:17 PM
GoldCoin, very nicely done.

Textures have been my passion but had to leave them alone for a while because i depended too much on them, today i'm engaging into using them again very sparcel, i'm glad i saw your rendition.

As you must know there are several ways to use textures in PS alone, and now in Painter takes it further with more added ways of dealing with them.

The black hole, easily fixed by selective masking, and applied some dark gray texture or applying paper texture in Painter.

One thing that bothers me, in the proportional sense, is the size of the texture grain.
We're looking at a reduced version of a presumed art piece when printed.
Ok, now , try to imagine how would this piece look after enlarged to 8x10, or 11x14 ?
can you visualize the size of the grain enlarged to the same proportions-
That's what bothers my judgement.
all other details look great with many personal choices on hues and contrast.

Keep thm coming

Regards

flowerfancy58
04-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Very very nice Gold Coin!!

gloria:)

JCoop
04-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Really love the background and the hat! I appreciate the way you resisted adding too much detail in the facial features... but, I think the nose would benefit from a small amount of shading.
Great job!

kbilltv
04-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Looks French.

digistyle
04-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Very impresionistic. I echo the comment about the black. "Mix" your own black instead of using it "straight from the tube". Maybe mixing a bit of green from the background to some black?

digistyle