PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence of Bancroft

allanom
09-07-2001, 11:50 PM
I was sitting across the kitchen table from my late father when the clouds broke over the mountains to the west and the warm evening light shone through a window and across his face. "Hold it, hold it right there," I said, and ran for my camera. I snapped a couple of quick pix and the light faded as quickly as it came. From the photos I painted the attached portrait.

Several who have visited my web site have commented on the painting, so I post it here for the review of you all.

Oil on wood panel, 22" X 28".

Jan-Michael
09-07-2001, 11:54 PM
what can anyone say... no words... just tears....

allanom
09-07-2001, 11:57 PM
Couldn't figure out how to add the attached to original post:

Lawrence was a light airplane pilot for many years so I worked an aerial view of our rural property into the pattern of his shirt (see detail).

ejfarrae
09-08-2001, 12:12 AM
incredible. truly incredible.

Ceu
09-08-2001, 12:29 AM
another description besides "WOw" here it goes
"In every aspect of matter is evidence of the originality....... of that cosmic intelligenge."
you have certainly captured your father in that light that brings the best in us as artists.
Ceu

wendee
09-08-2001, 01:36 AM
words fail me..now thats a first...:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Impulse
09-08-2001, 03:00 AM
thing is
a photograph couldn't look this real
i don't think

he has bancroft in his face
(and his shirt it seems)

the light and colour...
well they're amazing

beautifully and (i think)
dutifully painted

jerryW
09-08-2001, 06:42 AM
adore
engage
embellish
move on.

very rich. thanx

Luvy
09-08-2001, 10:05 AM
Allanom, I wanted to paint my father's protrait. After seeing this, the skin reminds me so much of my father, I couldn't do him justice if I tried to paint him. This is so, what can you say? Talent is about all that comes to mind. And you surely have it.
I unfortunately, do not have a real good photo of my father to use as a reference for a portrait. But I'm glad I did make my mother and father get a photo made a few years before he died. It's just not a real good one. :crying:

YLCIA
09-08-2001, 11:07 AM
Amazing,very impressive.

Julia

jheinrich
09-08-2001, 11:21 AM
allan-

a level of dedication and sense of delicacy that no doubt have served you well in life.

hope you are making gobs of money, and I look forward to seeing your posts always!

j*
(STMHD)

alva
09-08-2001, 04:43 PM
Yep, this was my favorite from your very cool site! regards, alva

marilyn h
09-08-2001, 06:22 PM
You have captured the soul. THis is his life!

ZOTMA
09-08-2001, 08:27 PM
I think the aerial view on the shirt is brilliant, the topography of his face is similar in feel. A very moving piece.

pampe
09-08-2001, 08:36 PM
You so resemble him, you know....

It is a wonderfully loving painting...and brillantly executed.

wow is not enough

Pam

allanom
09-08-2001, 10:41 PM
Thank-you, all. This painting has become my signature piece, primarily because of the emotional response it seems to elicit from most viewers.

Jan-Michael: Ibid, above. Thanks.

ejfarrae / wendee / YLCIA: Very gratifying to feel that craft + emotion still matters.

Ceu: A very huge compliment...and a wonderful quote. Thanks from my heart.

Impulse: I hear ya', guy. My feelings exactly. The painter embues the image with his / her vision and takes the reference pic somewhere else entirely. (You been to Bancroft? If not, it's a gloriously beautiful bit of god's country.)

jerry: Love your use of "The Quasi-science of Enigmatics". Figured this might be just too stupidly real for you. Thanks for the compassionate response. Om..

luvy: Please paint your father's portrait!! Find the best picture you have; use your favourite medium; open up to all possibilities; let your heart have it's head; and go for it!
You'll make something extraordinary.. I guarantee it!

jheinrich: "dedication" and "delicacy" -- truly lovely descriptions of artistic effort to aspire to.. Thanks so much. (Wish I could say that "gobs of money" were coming my way, however... [sigh]... it really ain't so. I"ve had some banner years and some not so banner years. Right now, my overhead dictates that much of my time is devoted to putting in hours at non-right-livelihood to pay the piper who plays tunes that I didn't write.... Some day though...:O)

alva: Thanks for taking the time to check out my site. Much appreciated!

marilyn h: He was a Pentecostal-ish minister; a life-long wounded child; a bit of a s h i t.. But, damn, he DID have soul!

ZOTMA: I have always talked about this painting as a piece of topography! Never thought of how the aerial view re-inforces that. Thanks for the astute observation.

pampe: I always thought I more resembled my mom.. Guess the proof is in the postings! Thanks so much for your huge compliments.

rsmak
09-09-2001, 12:18 AM
excellent work,nice .

rosanna