PDA

View Full Version : My new website, what do you think?

Kerensamere
04-23-2004, 08:53 PM
My best friend designed my website for me. We're still working some of the bugs out (like putting it up on the web under my actual domain name :rolleyes: ) but it's up none the less.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. Some other people have checked it out and asked about a price list. Any thoughts on posting prices, I'm hesitant because each piece is different. Feed back is welcome and appreciated.

I'm not ready to make it a "commerce" site yet so no shopping cart, that's in the works for a little farther in the future.

Anyway, let me know!

-Jen

http://caver.spymac.net/

TheBlueBetween
04-23-2004, 09:04 PM
oh it looks beautiful!!! About the artist page doesn't come up from the home page... that's the only thing bad I can say about it!

Go with what you think about prices for now... and keep an open mind about adding them if it works out that not listing them isn't working for you. You never know till you try.

Shirley C.
04-23-2004, 09:18 PM
it looks lovely! i love the colors on the site, and the navigation is straightforward. and i love your work as well.

personally, i'd like to see prices, but that's just me.

regarding the 'About the Artist' link at the top, the reason the page doesn't come up is because it links to Biography.htm - it should link to biography.htm (those pesky upper/lower case issues...)

i have a suggestion about your 'About the Artist' page. you might think about introducing yourself, i.e., tell us your name. nowhere on that page do you state your name, and that's always the first thing i want to know about a person when i "meet" them.

also, what does the name of your business mean, or where does it come from - why kerensamere?

you don't have a link for your show schedule in the top navigation bar, and i'm wondering if it will get "lost", since it's only at the bottom in small print.

ok, i'll put my "red pen" away now - LOL! i used to test new software as part of my job when i worked as a business analyst, and my mind still works that way i guess.

i think your site looks great! :clap:

!Karen
04-23-2004, 09:25 PM
The site is great and your work is exceptional!! Being a long-time wind chime maker, I love your mobiles!!

I would vote for posted prices, as I will not email to ask how much. I want to know before I waste your time and mine. Plus I've had some annoying experiences with web sites that have wonderful items, but take weeks to answer their email. If I don't hear from you in a very reasonable amount of time, I'm off to the next seller.

I'm slightly better about emailing if I see something I just can't live without, but know I can afford the price, so I'll send an inquiry if I want it.

I am a serious impulse buyer, so I have to put a plug in for a shopping cart, that is a plus for any web site I visit. I'm glad to hear you're looking at that possiblity a bit down the road.

Your page is great, and lots of precise pictures to pull us in :D

Good luck,
:)Karen

Kerensamere
04-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the feed back thus far. My background is in marketing but it's hard to be non-biased when it's your own stuff.

I'll get the bug in the bio link taken care of. Didn't even realize my name wasn't on the site! :rolleyes:

Keep giving me your thoughts! Thanks!

-Jen

Beads-Me!
04-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Beautiful Jen. I'm no tech wiz - so I'm not much help there. But the colors and layout are very classy - nice job!

mistymade
04-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi Jen,
I really like your new website, I like the layout and the color sheme. Your work is absolutly beautiful!!!

I would also like to see a price list. I am more likely to e-mail for info if I have an idea of the cost. Since each piece is a little different, maybe you could just put a ball park price range, "pricing for similar pieces starts at $", "pricing will vary due to uniqueness"

Barrie
04-24-2004, 12:57 AM
I would like to see BIG pictures! LOL! Like the koi pond mobile! And how much is that little beautie! :) Yes, I think prices are good - even if you do 'ballpark figures' giving the customer an idea of whether or not to email you. There's a big difference between the $50 ballpark and the $200 ballpark. :)
As I started to say before I was side tracked, it would be nice to be able to click on the thumbnails and see close ups of pieces.

I do love your big stained glass piece on the home page - gorgeous!!

Gingerbiscuit
04-24-2004, 05:30 AM
Your work is stunning. :clap:

I would like to see prices. I think it would be helpoful. :)

beclectic
04-24-2004, 08:26 AM
I really like the layout and color scheme of your site and your pieces are beautiful. Many of them appealed to me and I wanted at least ball-park prices. If prices aren't at least discussed I usually assume that the pieces are not for sale or that they are so expensive I don't need to ask.

All the links seem to be working but I didn't check the little ones at the bottom of the page. I rarely use that type of link unless I'm really trying to drill down on a site to find something specific.

I found I had a negative reaction to the 'Out of Sorts' title. It makes me think of people that are not very happy and likely to fuss. Additionally, it makes me think of items that are lop-sided and not right (perhaps because of some association with the phrase out-of-kilter). I think most older southerners are going to think of fussiness when they read out-of-sorts. May I suggest 'And now for something completely different', it is a Monty Python quote but it also is more what you meant I think. Dispite my negative reaction I went to your Out of Sorts page and I like the pieces there very much. They are very creative and interesting, just the kind of unusual pieces I am attracted to.

Overall I think you and your web friend have done a fantastic job and once your site comes up in search engines and you get links on related sites you should get traffic that checks out multiple pages.

GardensOnGlass
04-24-2004, 08:52 AM
What a terrific artist, Jen! I loved the site, but I'd have to say Shirley & Barrie covered it for me in their comments, but overall the site is beautiful! I didn't find it overwhelming as I do some sites, there was enough "white space" for my eyes to rest. I really like it, but prices are important for me to see.

flynfire
04-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Jen, I like your site. It loads quickly and the layout is easy to follow. I love your work. Ditto on links to bigger pix and prices on work. Curiosity made me go to the Out of Sorts" page. I liked the title, but when I saw the pieces, I didn't get it.

SuzyQ
04-24-2004, 03:21 PM
It looks great! I love your color scheme. But, I'm an ocean person too :) I fell in love with the creamsicle set.

DonnaBee
04-24-2004, 08:13 PM
It all looks great. I really, really love your jewelry.

McDuck
04-24-2004, 08:33 PM
I really like the colors, yes ont eh about me page, why why why :p I also like prices and usually click past if i have to email about them. You either want to sell items or you dont! but then again thats me. Otherwise very nice job!
-mary

NewCreation
04-25-2004, 07:25 AM
I think it is beautiful, and I love your work. A couple of things I would suggest are to make the photos on the home page clickable links. I always want to click on the links rather than the captions. I'd also like to be able to see bigger photos of your work.

Kerensamere
04-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the feed back, sounds like prices are a must. I see what you mean about giving people ball parks. Clickable pics that lead to bigger pics sounds like another good suggestion too. Definately need to get my name on there too. I'll be working on those changes in the upcoming weeks. Had a show yesterday and am still recovering from it today and have another show next Sat.

Barrie- The Koi Pond is spoken for, my Mom made me promise not to sell it since it was my first big mobile so she's getting it as a wedding gift (if she'd ever set the date!). It would go for about $300 if I were to make another one, which I would be glad to do.

SuzyQ- The creamsicles are a funny story. I kept telling my DH how I thought the glass looked like a creamsicle so he said "then make creamsicles out of it!" So I have pins, pendants and earrings, some with bites taken out some without. Pendants and Pins go for $20 Earrings for $40 for those, they take a little more work than most of my pieces. The rest of my earrings go for $20.

If anyone has any other questions or comments keep them coming. I really appreciate getting constructive feedback.

Thanks for all the help, tips, encouragement and comments!

-Jen

debkauz
04-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Your site and your work are both beautiful! I also vote for a price list of some sort. I won't email to ask. It's just too much trouble. :rolleyes: I know that's just pure laziness as before the internet, you actually had to GO somewhere to see things, but that's the way it is! I do like the site, though, a lot.
Deb

Kerensamere
04-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Incase anyone happens upon this thread that hasn't had a chance to look at my site, it's been moved to a more relevant address:

http://kerensamere.spymac.net

I'm hoping to have it up on www.kerensamere.com SOON.

Thanks to all those that have responded I'm planning on making the following changes:
- Put my name on the site ( :rolleyes: Can't believe we overlooked that one!)
- Put prices on the site (I think I'll mark things that are sold, but still list a price for something similar)
- I'm going to look into being able to make the pics bigger
- Add the definition of Kerensamere and how to pronounce it.

For those who are interested it's pronounced Care-In-Sa-Meer, it means "love and peace by the water", it was the name my parents gave the house I grew up in. My Dad always encouraged me to become an entrepeneur (he passed away in '99.) Both my folks encouraged me to follow my heart and be creative. I've always been inspired by water, especially the ocean. So, for all of these reasons it seemed appropriate to name my business Kerensamere.

Thanks again for the comments and advice! :clap: :clap:
You are all a wonderful group of people and an excellent sounding board, I'm so glad my friend and neighbor led me here!

-Jen

springdream
04-28-2004, 11:22 PM
I know I'm a little late. I meant to reply the other day. I think it's beautiful and beautiful work! and I'm veeeerrrry critical of websites, ask anyone :o I can't help it when I surf allllll day.

BTW, Spymac is a cool site. Check out the assignment 3. :D

Kerensamere
04-28-2004, 11:48 PM
I know I'm a little late. I meant to reply the other day. I think it's beautiful and beautiful work! and I'm veeeerrrry critical of websites, ask anyone :o I can't help it when I surf allllll day.

BTW, Spymac is a cool site. Check out the assignment 3. :D

Thanks for the compliments, your site is very pretty too, fits your name nicely.

And yes, I like Spymac too! I teach an Intro to Computing class and one of the homework assignments I give my students is to check out the site and sign up for a free email account and then email me a note from that account about something cool they found on the site. My students are usually new MAC owners so I use it as a way to introduce them to a good MAC resource. My DH uses it to post pics for friends and family. Gotta love that gallery! :D

Charlee
04-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Jen, I think your site is just grand! My critique points have all been covered - want bigger, clickable pictures and prices. The source of your business name is very touching. It must feel good to say that word. :) Your glass work is really nice! Glad to find another LOTR fan too. :D

Charlee

Kerensamere
04-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Charlee- I LOVE your "inspiration" tag line! :D

And yes, my DH and I are both big LOTR fans, as I sit here typing under two shelves, one laden with LOTR figures the other with Star Wars figures. My DH makes costumes for a hobby and he made a Legolas costume for a co-workers son for Halloween last year. Check out this link for pics of the kiddo in costume, you'll find other pics of his costumes if you look for "See all of this member's pictures"

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_photo.php?picid=57322&size=big

sassybird
04-29-2004, 03:51 AM
This is a very clean and professional looking site. No clutter. Straight forward, and nicely designed.

Charlee
04-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Charlee- I LOVE your "inspiration" tag line! :D

That's where I'm at right now with the muse. Can't put diddly squat together, so I'm doing other stuff. I'm not bummed or anything. She'll be back - hopefully, with a vengeance. :evil:

... other pics of his costumes if you look for "See all of this member's pictures"

That's just cute! And the wedding couple...is that y'all? Totally gorgeous! And the clothes are nice, too. ;) He does amazing work. I can sew on a button real well. :D

Charlee

Cyndi L
04-29-2004, 07:39 AM
I'll just add my "me too" that if you want to sell, you must have prices, or at least a price range. People are now pretty well conditioned to assume if there are no prices, that either

1) Don't ask, you can't afford it anyway,

or

2) This site is just a gallery site and I only sell wholesale. If you contact me, I'll just tell you what retail stores to go to.

Please do make it into a fully functional commercial site! Your work is quite lovely and well worth offering to the public! As for prices, hey, websites are works in progress, and it'll probably take awhile to hit the perfect formula. My best advice is never never never to undervalue and underprice your work. You're better off overpricing it!

My best to your success...your work speaks for itself when it comes to beauty and quality.
:)