PDA

View Full Version : newbie with a tumbler

tamjai
04-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Help! i have a new tumbler and just this batch of silver findings are dark and need polishing - even the shot looks dull and there is a buildup on the inside lid. I am using a burnishing compound instead of soap. Once I did use it for making some beach glass with am abrasive but was well cleaned and it has performed well since - this is the first time i've had this happen - what did I do?? :(

lisilk
04-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Tamjai,

Can't answer your question but thought I'd send you a big Welcome to Wetcanvas ! Looking forward to getting to know you and your work.

I'm sure the jewelers will be tumbling in here shortly to help you out.

Cheers,

Li

tamjai
04-23-2004, 08:23 PM
thanks for the welcome Li - i've just gone back thru some older threads - i'm hoping that the 'clean the shot with baking soda' method works - my fingers are crossed!

dockhl
04-23-2004, 08:53 PM
You might also let a can of coke go flat and tumble it....almost always works !

Kathy

!Karen
04-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi Tamjai, and welcome!

Can't help with your question as I'm tumblerless - wanting one very badly though!

You'll have an answer here in a flash, the people here are the best!!

Hope to see some of your work,

:)Karen

Barrie
04-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Here's a link to my tumble polishing tutorial - http://www.itsmystore.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=21&domain=11&webdir=windermere - the only couple of things I can think of that would cause 'darkening' of the shot itself are if you had pickle residue on anything you tumbled (reacts poorly with the rubber of the barrel), or the burnishing compound is reacting with the barrel. I would suggest putting the shot in with good old fashioned ivory bar soap (about a tablespoon) with water, and run it overnight. That would clean up the shot if that's the problem.

Good luck! (And welcome toWC!!!)

tamjai
04-25-2004, 01:23 PM
thanks everyone - i tried cleaning the shot with baking soda - shined it right up! - my next batch I used the ivory bar (grated as in Barrie's instructions) and everything was bright and shiny again- Karen - if you do treat yourself to a tumbler (and you should 'cause they're awesome) don't get suckered into spending the $ on burnishing compound - I'm right back on the soap!
Tamara

Barrie
04-26-2004, 02:16 AM
Glad I could help!! Can't beat old fashioned soap!! :) Have fun!!

Wire Mania
04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
I use Dawn - Works great just a couple of squirts..

Charlee
04-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Tamjai,

I'm tumbler-less (but not for long, she said hopefully), but wanted to say Howdy and welcome to WC! Glad you got it all shined up and back to working order. :D

Charlee