PDA

View Full Version : Water Lilies

Kitty Wallis
04-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Plein air at Giverny
24"x36"
This one shows a lot of the underpainting. It was done long before it was finished.

Kathryn Day
04-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Beautiful painting! Kitty, have you always painted this large? What do you think the benefits are to painting in a larger scale, besides the wonderful WOW factor! Do you find it easier or harder than working smaller scale? Just curious, if you don't mine answering.

I am enjoying seeing your work.

Kitty Wallis
04-23-2004, 09:53 PM
I love to answer questions, especially good ones.

Scale is a big subject. Pun included. :)

I have found it hard to change scale. It takes a larger view to make a larger piece since I must see it all as I work. I gradually have enlarged my scope, finding that I had a better working relationship with a larger piece. Small pieces seem easier to me because I can see the whole thing in one glance. But larger pieces give me room to move, to make looser, bigger strokes. I can work without niggling the details.

I don't want to deliniate my forms, I want to indicate them with loose yet focused strokes. And I want them to be solid and convincing at the same time. I can put more information in a bigger area.

I use almost the same number of strokes on a smaller piece. and don't have as much fun.

Beautiful painting! Kitty, have you always painted this large? What do you think the benefits are to painting in a larger scale, besides the wonderful WOW factor! Do you find it easier or harder than working smaller scale? Just curious, if you don't mine answering.

I am enjoying seeing your work.

Khadres
04-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Awwwwwwwww (awe, too...:D) I REALLY like this one and I do see the underpainting here and there; very cool, indeed! You do such amazing things with greens and blues and the blossoms are the perfect contrast. Wonderful!

Laura Shelley
04-23-2004, 11:54 PM
It's very interesting to see how you underpaint. I like the contrast between the opaque pastel and the translucent watermedia. I've been following the discussion on underpainting and want to give it a try; so far, I have done that alcohol scrub-in with hard pastels, but not with watercolors or anything like Createx.

However, I don't yet feel the need for underpainting on Wallis paper--I thought I would have to, since I usually don't like a white surface, but it turned out not to be necessary. I'll bite the bullet soon, though!

K Taylor-Green
04-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Every piece you post just leaves me in awe. The scope, the depth, the feel, the intensity of color. Have I left anything out!? Just wonderful. wonderful work! Kate

Dea
04-24-2004, 02:55 AM
This is beautiful, I,ve only seen a couple of your paintings but I think they are all wonderful (I'm jealous).
I've heard a lot about how good your paper is, I would like to try it but I doubt you can get it here, oh well, maybe one day :)

Kitty Wallis
04-24-2004, 03:15 AM
Thank you.
I'll send you a little sample. Send me your address in a PM.

This is beautiful, I,ve only seen a couple of your paintings but I think they are all wonderful (I'm jealous).
I've heard a lot about how good your paper is, I would like to try it but I doubt you can get it here, oh well, maybe one day :)

Dyin
04-24-2004, 12:03 PM
I like being able to see lots of the underpainting...you used the dark (black?) to great effect.

Kitty Wallis
04-24-2004, 01:12 PM
I like being able to see lots of the underpainting...you used the dark (black?) to great effect.

Thanks, it's dark green.

Dyin
04-24-2004, 02:15 PM
sadly those nuances of color get missed on here...this has a lovely sense of different layers of water, just like in RL...some above, some 1/2 under the water. Would love to be able to see it full size.

Kitty Wallis
04-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Yes all the changes between phtography, in this case kodachrome 64 slide, processing, scanning and everybody's differing monitors it's amazing the color of those lines isn't bright red.

I'd love to see it again also. It's long gone.

sadly those nuances of color get missed on here...this has a lovely sense of different layers of water, just like in RL...some above, some 1/2 under the water. Would love to be able to see it full size.

Kathryn Day
04-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks Kitty for your reply to my curiosity. Sounds like a workout working on a large painting, but probably very freeing also. Ok, now another question. How do you frame something so large. Do you mat it, do you use glass or plexi glass, or linen liner? Trying to imagine how heavy it might become, framed.

Kitty Wallis
04-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks Kitty for your reply to my curiosity. Sounds like a workout working on a large painting, but probably very freeing also. Ok, now another question. How do you frame something so large. Do you mat it, do you use glass or plexi glass, or linen liner? Trying to imagine how heavy it might become, framed.

A large piece presents problems in ready materials. 60x40 is the largest ready made size that I know of for art board, matting and backing. so the largest piece with those materials and a 4" mat would be 52"x32", a little narrow in proportion so I would probably opt for 47"x32" since I like fat rectangles and 47" is the width of my rolls. I especially like to do squares, however and do not accept the 32"x32" limit imposed by mat materials. So I soon became creative.

I frame a lot of my pieces now with a narrow wooden liner, no mat and a 1" rabitt in the frame to allow for at least 1/2" space between the work and the glass, accomplished by the wood liner. I use plexi on the largest pieces to reduce the weight. With such a deep spacer I find the plexi stays free of pastel. I like to float the piece with the edges 1/4" from the frame, to allow for movement of the paper in humidity changes

Orchidacea
04-24-2004, 07:26 PM
This is just stunning. I could look and look and look at it!

Pretty soon I'm going to have to get brave and try underpainting. So many challenges, so little time...

CBruce
04-25-2004, 10:41 AM
May I ask where you get your frames and the spacer. I like using that technique but have a hard time finding a 1" rabbit. The last spacer I bought for a 16x20 pastelboard was 19.00 so I've got to find another place to buy these. Thanks for any help you can provide. I do love your Water Lilies and only wish the monitors would let us see more :)

Mikki Petersen
04-25-2004, 04:16 PM
So lovely! I just study and study your water pieces. They are so convincing and yet they feel quite loose and painterly. I've done only one large piece, full sheet of Art Spectrum, for my son who has 12 ft walls. Fortunately, he paid for the framing! I did enjoy the experience of working LARGE and would love to do large pieces but the cost of framing is prohibitive. Also, in my 950 ft cottage, storage is a big problem...maybe when I get my studio built.