PDA

View Full Version : Texturing surface

Rabbit Twilight
04-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Could someone tell me what kind of tissue paper and glue is used if you want to texture a canvas or board before painting?
Thanks in advance!

ExpressiveAngie
04-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Reacon you stumped the panel? :p :)

Eugene Veszely
04-24-2004, 08:38 AM
I am stumped because I have never done it :)

salart
04-24-2004, 09:10 AM
I have seen interesting surfaces created with diluted white glue and tissue or rice paper crumpled and squished around on the canvas- then sealed with gesso- or you could also use an acrylic medium...

Enchanted
04-24-2004, 10:57 AM
You may want to explore forums that discuss decoupage and the glues used for that craft. Acrylic medium is used in decoupaging too.

Rabbit Twilight
04-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys!
I've seen acrylics where the surface is prepared with a thin tissue paper that makes all these neat lines. I'm thinking that it would need to be white, because colored ones would bleed.
The reason I was asking is that I don't do many acrylics because I always end up getting frustrated. But, one of the best paintings I've done in the last year was the result of a mistake.
I had glued an inkjet print down to the board and was going to paint around it. Didn't like the results, so pulled what I could of the paper off. Some white paper remained and left these really nice textures that further layers of paint worked really well on.
Guess I'm of to experiment!

Anita Orsini
04-25-2004, 12:10 AM
You can do this with gel or mat medium. About a year ago I did some experimenting with making unusual colored papers for collage. I applied acrylic paints in various ways to tissue paper, letting it bunch up and wrinkle as I did so. On some I dropped acrylic color onto tissue paper wet with gel medium, on others I used a brayer to apply layers of color over gessoed tissue paper. When the papers dried I tore them, applied them to board overlapping, then sanded to reveal different layers. This is probably more info than you really wanted. In any case, had I not sanded this would have had a textured surface like you were looking for.
Anita (who is usually over in colored pencil, or watercolor, but finds this forum interesting also)

artistodon
04-25-2004, 01:09 AM
Heck if I know I'm just following this thread to find out myself. Great question and feed back.
Don :)

Spyderbabe
04-27-2004, 11:06 AM
When I do collage I use "Yes" paste or gel medium. Rice paper, wrapping tissue, handmade papers - even cocktail napkins (sometimes these are two ply - split and just use one of the layers) Try an acrylic glaze or two. Its lots of fun. However all these papers do not necessarily have archival qualities.

ebandit
05-04-2004, 04:28 PM
I do this with Masa (a rice paper that I get from CheapJoe's) and use acrylic gel medium as my glue.
I soak the Masa then squeeze it out (wad it up good to create more texture) then I use the Gel Medium to glue it to my watercolor paper (I use 140 lb for this) here is at example http://www.geneblack.com/pages/masabi.html

Hope that helps - the textrue doesn't show up very well in the picture but trust me IT IS There!