PDA

View Full Version : Purple Sea

Gillette
04-23-2004, 03:31 AM
With thanks to Redwood for the reference photo, I really enjoyed painting this one. Acrylic on stretched canvas size 24x20 inches. Jane .
PS what a lovely forum this is, especially to those who are enamoured with the ocean.
I am working on some coral fish at present, as I have done quite a bit of coral reef snorkelling, but it's a new try for me. I'll show later if it works out.

Marty C
04-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi Jane,
Love your colours in this one. The sea is particulary well done in this, lots of movement and very convincing. Some of the clouds don't seem right(only some, others look very good), I think it is the hard edges and lack of shadows on the underside. Overall though, very impressive.

ripvanblair
04-25-2004, 05:28 AM
This is a belter I like the colours what a glorious scene------well done-------Alan

Gillette
04-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks Marty and Alan
Yes I feel I'm getting a little more adventurous with my colours now.I overlook the Wilson inlet ,due East, and have some fantasic skies, which I frequently photograph, but have not painted yet, maybe I'll get into more skies now.
Marty, re the clouds, do you mean the lower pale yellow ones?, I can see some hard edges now you mention it.Are those the ones to need more shadow too? It's so good to have someone a make constructive criticism.
Many thanks.
Jane.

laudesan
04-26-2004, 03:00 AM
Oh YES!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely gorgeous..

That sky is magnificent!!!!!!!!

PETERH
04-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Nice colours Jane!

But I agree with Marty's comments on the clouds. Maybe you need to loosen up a bit. I find clouds most difficult to paint, but the best results come "accidentally"! :)

Great forum!

Marty C
04-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks Marty and Alan
Yes I feel I'm getting a little more adventurous with my colours now.I overlook the Wilson inlet ,due East, and have some fantasic skies, which I frequently photograph, but have not painted yet, maybe I'll get into more skies now.
Marty, re the clouds, do you mean the lower pale yellow ones?, I can see some hard edges now you mention it.Are those the ones to need more shadow too? It's so good to have someone a make constructive criticism.
Many thanks.
Jane.
Hi Jane,
Yes the lower pale yellow ones, particularly the ones on the left which also appear inverted - the tops are flat, the bases convoluted, the opposite of how clouds normally behave. Also, clouds are wind driven and usually are uniform in direction. If you are showing the clouds as being blown toward you then they should all go to the same vanishing point to maintain the correct perspective. The suggested wind direction of the clouds on the right seem to be countermanded by the clouds on the left, while the distant horizon clouds seem to suggest something else again. A fascinating subject, clouds, vital in landscape and seascape and often difficult to get right - I know I certainly struggle with them.