PDA

View Full Version : I finished something! My first pastel...

lismith
09-07-2001, 03:03 PM
My first pastel.. and I finished it! It's a miracle! :clap:

I picked up a set of 12 pastels and some drawing paper the other day, and here's my first attempt... I haven't posted here in over a year... mainly because I haven't done any kind of art in over a year, lol.

This is from a photo of my son learning to carve wood as it was done in the 1600s. The photo was taken at Sainte-Marie Among the Hurons in Ontario, a recreation of a Jesuit mission from the 17th century.

lismith
09-07-2001, 03:05 PM
And here is the photo I used... yeah I know the pastel is out of proportion, but I'm just happy I finished it :D

LDianeJohnson
09-07-2001, 06:41 PM
lismith,

Very ambitious subject for your first pastel! Bravo. Start your next one as soon as possible so you can transfer what you've learned into a new painting. It was good that you posted the photo with the painting.

Thanks for posting this for all to see!

Diane

lismith
09-08-2001, 10:05 AM
Thanks Diane! I think I like this medium :)

I'm going to get a larger set of pastels... with only 12 colors I had to do a LOT of mixing. Maybe that's why the scan didn't turn out so good? It's really only blues and browns - no greens in it at all.

My goal was to do something quick and finish it no matter what it looked like, lol. I did this in about 2 hours. I have several unfinished oil paintings that I worked on for weeks before losing interest. :rolleyes:

dupliKate
09-08-2001, 11:14 AM
Holy Cow...this is really impressive for a first one with a box of 12!

You chose a very complicated subject and did a great job!!! I can hardly wait to see more!

I have been buying pastels for a while...love to look at all the colours....really gutless when it comes to using them!! LOL

You have made me want to try too...thanks.

K
:D

LDianeJohnson
09-08-2001, 05:15 PM
You did a great job using only 12 pastels. It is good that you did not have a full set to do this piece. Having only 12 for your first several pieces forces you to find ways to combine into new colors. There is a limit to what can be done, but this exercise will definately help you develop your skills when that beautiful full set comes along!

Diane

wendee
09-08-2001, 06:46 PM
this is really great.....for a first its wonderful...12 pastels..GOSH..

more please...:D :D :D

lismith
09-09-2001, 03:12 AM
kate...diane...wendee... thanks for the nice comments :)

DH bought me a set of 30 Rembrandts today... I'll see what I can do with them! :p

Roni Anderson
09-17-2001, 12:53 PM
liz - what a great pix! You have inspired me too!

I am ashamed to say how many partisal pictures I have sitting here, just waiting to be finished..

:crying:

Bobbie
10-02-2001, 12:58 AM
He's wonderful. Keep on painting.

Roni Anderson
10-02-2001, 05:03 AM
Wendee:

How'd you get that cute little artist guy in action on your signature? It's great!