PDA

View Full Version : Polishing silver trouble...

somk
04-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Hi all.. I have a stupid problem here. I do polish a lot of silver pieces every day... but I don't know what happened today, I have "clouds" on my surfaces !
I mean, I use a medium grit, then a soft grit then end with "rouge" and it usually works perfectly ... but not today. On the shiny surface, I have greyish clouds.. Argh ! I think I saw articles related to that problem.. what is it ? too much humidity ? A problem with the "rouge" compound ?
On a happier note, polishing/buffing brass and gold works fine today :p
But if someone had an idea about what's happening, I'd be more than happy ! :)

Barrie
04-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Is it possible that you might have a contaminated buffing wheel? That would explain the less than perfect polish. Or by 'greyish cloud' do you mean like a dark grey shadow? If so then that would be firescale - you'd have to go back to your medium grit and start over until you've eliminated the layer of firescale. Good luck!

somk
04-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Barrie > Many thanks for your answer !! I decided to change the buffing wheel just in case and it went back to normal :) I came back from the workshop to read your message LOL thanks ! :clap:
It was a first time for me, the effect of a contaminated buffing wheel is indeed hideous !

flynfire
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Somk, that has happened to me. No fun. Now I am almost obsessive about keeping my rouge and rouge wheels separated from everything else in the shop. I keep my rouge in a plastic bag in its own little drawer with the wheels. I wash my hands before putting on the rouge wheel. It's almost sick. Well, I don't wear latex gloves or a mask yet...