PDA

View Full Version : Thursday's Time to Show Us! 4/22/04

Beads-Me!
04-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Okay ~ I haven't posted something new in a little while so I think I should get this one started. I fell in love with the neckaces I found the other day and wanted to give them a try. So here's my first attempt at a ribbon bracelet. I'm really tickled with it - now to refine the ends..... :rolleyes:

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Nancy!

It's beautiful! I love the colors...they accent the lampwork perfectly! It definitely makes me feel summery. Did you braid your ribbons once you strung your beads? That was the hardest part of making my combo media necklace for the Deep Blue Sea project was winding in the threads and beads and wire.

I totally dig it. How does it close? Or is it just a bracelet you push on and off your wrist? Maybe you could leave a loop at one end and knotting a bead at the other, or possibly looping one end again and leaving long ribbon streamers to tie it shut when you wear it and just undo when you take it off?

Whatever way it ends up working, I want one! LOL. So you bettah bring that to the retreat too! ;)

~D.

Barrie
04-22-2004, 11:52 AM
**THUD** That is stunning!! I love it! Perfect for summer!

Wow, guess I better go make something to show - tough act to follow though! :)

Beads-Me!
04-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks you two! Actually Danielle, I used a button and tied a loop in the other end. I'm just not sure how secure the loop will be. Guess I'll wear it today and see what happens! And yes I twisted and braided before finishing it. I've made several necklaces in a similar style and have had good luck so far... Now for a matching necklace! :D

Cyndi L
04-22-2004, 11:57 AM
That is just beautiful! Love the colors :)

McDuck
04-22-2004, 12:58 PM
nancy, that is really bright and suny looking! How does it wear? makes me wanna run to the beach, hey wait there isnt a real beach anywhere near here. oh well...very nice idea! -mary

below is what came out of my kiln alive!
-mary

bbl with more

McDuck
04-22-2004, 01:04 PM
oh can you say thread hog?
it seems the sea urchins in colors are giving me fits! These are more textured than raised dots, but my daughter says she likes them too! -mary

SuzyQ
04-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Wonderful colors Nancy! I love the new textile in jewelry trend. It just makes so much sense to me.

Mary, those bumpy sea urchine like beads are calling my name. Boy do I have ideas for them. I do hope you are going to post pictures of what your collaborators come up with. I'm most curious.

O.K. now for me. I just learned how to make these, they are basically polymer cane sheets wrapped around a snake and connected. I was a bit impatient with the first batch so the seams aren't smoothed out very well. But my daughter doesn't care! She thinks they look great with her ballarina outfit :)

McDuck
04-22-2004, 02:32 PM
SuzyQ those are adorable! I bet your daughter is loving them to death! -Mary

Barrie
04-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Wow!! Mary those are gorgeous!! I love the dark blue octagon, with the hole in the middle!! Beautiful color!!! The morning glory flower is stunning (I want one! I want one!!) and I have to say that the dark purple shiny glas on that center simple bead is FABULOUS!!! I don't think I've ever seen that nice of a purple on ceramic! (of course, I don't get out much, but you know what I mean! LOL!)

Suzy, those are so cool! Are they bracelets? I'll bet she makes a cute ballarina!!

SuzyQ
04-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys! Yes they are bracelets. We made a few for her dolls too.

McDuck
04-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Umm funny Barrie, those two beads you described are yours along with the other two plain beadies. I havent decided who to send the flower to. I made that purple with about 5 coats and two firings! Purple is pesky at times.
-M

Barrie
04-22-2004, 03:08 PM
:music: Send me the flower, send me the flower :music: It's soooooooooooooooo cool!! About 5 years ago, we planted a very vigorous ginger root (found it in the veggie crisper in the fridge, all sprouted and wanting to grow!!). Months later, I had a gorgeous vine, and covered in flowers exactly like this one! They look like morning glories, but are a beautiful shade of blue! Sigh! I wonder why I haven't palnted any more? (hmmm,goes back to that time issue we were discussing I bet!)

So that's my sneak peak at the goodies!? EXCELLENT!!! I'm going to acid etch a special piece of silver for the big blue octagon! Bezel set some kind of fancy stone in the center, hmmmmmmmm, time to put on the thinking cap!! LOL!! I'm off to go check them out again! :music: Send me the flower, send me the flower!! :music:

McDuck
04-22-2004, 03:12 PM
:music: Send me the flower, send me the flower :music: It's soooooooooooooooo cool!! :music: Send me the flower, send me the flower!! :music:

you are a HOOT Barrie! Think i will make you beg a little longer. rofl

-M

beclectic
04-22-2004, 04:02 PM
nancy, that is really bright and suny looking! How does it wear? makes me wanna run to the beach, hey wait there isnt a real beach anywhere near here. oh well...very nice idea! -mary

below is what came out of my kiln alive!
-mary

bbl with more

Oh my gosh, is that a blue morning glory. My house is called Morning Glory House and we plant a fence full of Heavenly Blue Morning Glories every summer. They are exactly that color. My whole kitchen is done on the Heavenly Blue Morning Glory theme. I want a morning glory necklace.

Your heart of the garden beads are really nice too, and the hearts would be so usable and fun the less bumpy more textured beads remind me of sea sponges. So you can have urchins and sponges.

SuzyQ great bracelets, those colors are eye popping.

Nancy - your bracelet is just right for summer with the great beads and the varied fiber ribbons and cord.

Barrie
04-22-2004, 04:10 PM
:music: Send me the flower, send me the flower!! :music: I am SO not above bribery!! What'll it be? Beads? Findings? Dichroic cabs? First born child? (nah, you wouldn't want him!! At 20, he eats too much! :evil: ):music: Send me the flower, send me th flower!! :music:

Gingerbiscuit
04-22-2004, 04:23 PM
:music: Send me the flower, send me the flower!! :music: I am SO not above bribery!! What'll it be? Beads? Findings? Dichroic cabs? First born child? (nah, you wouldn't want him!! At 20, he eats too much! :evil: ):music: Send me the flower, send me th flower!! :music:

How about you'll send your son if she doesn't send the flower?? LOL! (only kidding!)

Barrie
04-22-2004, 04:34 PM
How about you'll send your son if she doesn't send the flower?? LOL! (only kidding!)

Brilliant!!!! It's win/win for me! I like those odds! :evil:

lisilk
04-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Nancy- That bangle looks like hard rock candy ! I could just eat it up !!! It's a beauty.

Mary - I love all your pieces. I think my fav is the second ( in the first set )- the green with purple flowers. So pretty !

Suzy- those polymer bracelets look great. I love the patterns. How do you like working with it ? I've done a few tiny sculptures with it but no jewelry yet.

I put all of my recent work in the Deep Blue Sea so I have nothing to show here. :crying:

Cheers,

Li

McDuck
04-22-2004, 05:17 PM
;) Barrie, you ever had singing lessons my dear? :confused:
Go look in the new thread to see what you are getting.
Barbara, I will make you a special one okay? Now you willhave to wait 2 days for you order to ship. ;)
-mary

McDuck
04-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Hello Barbara,
What do you think of these babies??
-M

ps I like the sponge idea too

Beads-Me!
04-22-2004, 05:54 PM
nancy, that is really bright and suny looking! How does it wear?

I've been wearing it all day and it's really comfortable. What I'm wondering is how the ribbon will hold up. Any fiber folk out there with answers? It's not silk - I haven't found any around here yet. But so far... so good! (Plus, I stopped at the store to pick up some more ribbon so I can make a matching necklace, and the woman in line behind me asked me about it!! Fun..)

Beads-Me!
04-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Geesh! I forgot to say - I love the bracelets Suzy! The colors are great! And Mary - no wonder you're tired girlfriend! Look at you pump out them there beads! WTG Duckie...

Barrie
04-22-2004, 05:59 PM
;) Barrie, you ever had singing lessons my dear? :confused:
Go look in the new thread to see what you are getting.
Barbara, I will make you a special one okay? Now you willhave to wait 2 days for you order to ship. ;)
-mary

Singing lesson? Who me?!? :angel: Actually when my kids were little they kept begging me NOT to sing them to sleep! :evil: I get that from my Mom! LOL! I snuck a peak at the new thread! Woohoo!!!!! I'm gonna sing anyway :music: it's mine, it's mine, it's mine!! :music: :clap: :clap: :clap: (thank you, thank you!!)

Li, you should post your scarves here anyway, then I can look at them lots of times! LOL!!! Good luck on your upcoming show!!

Nancy, great idea, matching necklace!! Can't help you with the wearablitiy issue, but I sure can admire! Make sure to show us the 'set'!!!

lisilk
04-22-2004, 06:01 PM
I've been wearing it all day and it's really comfortable. What I'm wondering is how the ribbon will hold up. Any fiber folk out there with answers? It's not silk - I haven't found any around here yet. But so far... so good! (Plus, I stopped at the store to pick up some more ribbon so I can make a matching necklace, and the woman in line behind me asked me about it!! Fun..)

A little " Fray Check" on there probably wouldn't hurt. If I use ribbon, I usually soak it in FC. Just gives it a little extra strength and dries clear and soft. Most craft stores carry it.

Li

somk
04-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Cool works ! I especially dig the ribbon bracelet (can't wait to see the matching nacklace!) and those beautiul white beads !! (upstair :p /\) I would love to mix them with bronze... *ponders*
Speaking of bronze, here is the Bronze version of Fenrir (swedish 12th century style) and a set of brooches (Isle of Man, 2nd century)

McDuck
04-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Hello SOMK, and welcome! I love your designs! bronze? absolutely beautiful and very nice workmanship. Please post more!
-Mary

beclectic
04-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Hello Barbara,
What do you think of these babies??
-M

ps I like the sponge idea too

I love, love, love them the little rolly polly things. I'm so excited about the flower bead. I can wait but I hope my family doesn't mind if I bounce some.

SOMK - one of my housemates is in the SCA and he was looking over my shoulder when I got to your post. Now he is drooling all over my keyboard and babbling about a dark green woolen cloak. He has serious wants for your cloak pins. I don't blame him both pieces (cloak pins and pin) are ubelievable fantastic. The maille chain connecting the cloak pins is a very nice touch.

lisilk
04-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Li, you should post your scarves here anyway, then I can look at them lots of times! LOL!!! Good luck on your upcoming show!!

Okay Barrie. Here's a few.

SOMK- Your craftsmanship is exquisite !

Li

beclectic
04-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Okay Barrie. Here's a few.
<snip>
Li

Li, the purrrr :cat: fic scarf to go with my dolphin necklace. It is even the right color. It looks like you are really building up stock for your show. :clap: :clap:

lisilk
04-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Li, the purrrr :cat: fic scarf to go with my dolphin necklace. It is even the right color. It looks like you are really building up stock for your show. :clap: :clap:

You are right, They would go together wonderfully. Are you mailing it or UPS ? :evil: :evil: :evil:

beclectic
04-22-2004, 08:29 PM
You are right, They would go together wonderfully. Are you mailing it or UPS ? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Maybe we should work out a custody plan for the 2 kids. You know 1/2 the year with me and 1/2 the year with you. I'll go first, I'll keep the kids for 6 months and then you can have them. ROFL :D

SuzyQ
04-22-2004, 09:10 PM
somk - Beautiful pieces!

lisilk - sumptuos color. That mermaid is wonderful.
Polymer clay is fun to work with. I like creating the canes. They are like a big puzzle. I sketch out what I think would work, try it and slice to see the results. Making beads is quite fun. The colors are glorious and so versitile. Mixing colors is like my cooking. Add a little green... opps too green, add more yellow....
I actually started as a primer to learning lampwork. It was cheaper to start and I didn't feel I needed to take a class. Lampwork is on the horizon.... I just have to convince my husband that having fire around isn't dangerous. He is an ex volunteer firefighter and is nervous about the kids and the equipment. He said next Fall. (I've already booked the class :))

flynfire
04-22-2004, 10:48 PM
What beautiful creations today! Everyone has been busy!
I was digging through boxes and boxes of slabs at the lapaidarist's. Got a nice chunk of Larimar I'm looking forward to showing off in the near future.

Kerensamere
04-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Lisilk, your scarves are just stunning. I love the mermaid! I've been kicking around a design for a BIG stained glass mermaid, mind if I look to your scarf for inspiration?

SOMK, your work never ceases to amaze me, just lovely. My DH designs one of a kind formal renaissance costumes (no, we are not members of the SCA) as a hobby. I'll be sure to show him your work so that he can keep your cloak pins in mind if he gets any orders for cloaks. He's been asked to do entire wedding parties sometimes and your work would be perfect!

So many pretty things to look at, you are all showing lovely work today! Keep it up! :clap:

lisilk
04-23-2004, 02:29 AM
Ah Barbara...but I already have the silk seafoam- green dress to go with them so I should get the kids the first 6 months. :angel:

Thank you Suzy and Keren. Suzy, thanks for answering my questions. I would really like to try doing that one of these days.

Keren- As long as you don't copy my mermaid, just use her as a jumping off point, I'm OK with it. ( And THANK YOU for asking ! ) You should do a search in Fantasy Forum because that's where mermaids live and there have been some spectacular ones there. Also, it would be very cool if you could start a new thread and have your husband show off some of his costumes. They certainly qualify as wearable art and we need more fiber in here ! If you do a stained glass mermaid, please show it in Fantasy.

Li

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Excellent show n tell everyone! I always look, everyday (or the next day!) but I always look. :) Unbelievable work you are doing...

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Hear, hear! What ----^ she said! ;)

~D.