PDA

View Full Version : Second Project Exchange Idea

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Hi hi all!

Before you groan and throw popcorn at me for suggesting yet ANOTHER project, let me first say that this is a SMALL one and is a bit of mixed media, and instead of only getting one thing, you get TWO! See, isn't this sounding good already?!?! ;)

Ok, read on.

Sooooo....most of you know I've been making this "art purse" which is a combo of many medias, some including rubber stamping, collage work, digital images, painting, etc.

Something else that is big in this realm of art is something known as ATC's...otherwise known as Artist Trading Cards. People take poor, unsuspecting trading cards (i.e. baseball cards) and turn them into mini works of art and trade them among other artists. They do swaps. Here's a link to what these look like: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/atcnov03.html

They look complicated, but honestly, they're not that hard at all. It's just a mini canvas. Here's another with a Seaside theme ( my favorite!) :
http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/atcsea.html

They also do "Tag Art" which is really what I'm interested in doing here in this particular exchange. This is taking basic paper, luggage style tags and revamping them to suit your own whimsy. They can easily be bought at most craft stores or rubber stamp/scrapbooking stores, or even online. Or, if you're really adventurous, you can find an old leather luggage tag off a suitcase and rework that. Anyway, the basis for this exchange is to do TWO tags of similar or different themes. There will be a limited sign up to make sure that everyone gets two tags in return for their two they swap out. What you get back is a little inspiration from your fellow artists here in Wearable Art. This -does not- have to be wearable, however, I have seen some pieces actually turned into wearable necklaces, etc, so feel free to do this.

Here's a link to some tag art: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/tagart.html

One more: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/tagart2.html

To make this more suited to most of us, I will require some sort of beads be shown on the tags. You can make an entirely beaded piece, or just thread a few, or showcase one bead only. It's up to you. But somewhere, there must be a bead on your tag.

Now, this is just a discussion atm, to see what you all think. So speak up. I'd like to see if there's any interest in this sort of exchange. If anything, the tags make great bookmarks. ;)

~Danielle

artbabe21
04-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Danielle....while I think this is a fabulous idea, it seems it would be more suited to the mixed media forum since it's really not wearable art? :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Nay Miss Cathleen! I have seen these turned into wearable pieces!!

Take a gander! http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/boutique.html

/grin

Besides, if you clip it on to a bag or a purse, doesn't it then become worn? It's just another adornment of sorts.

:D

~D.

artbabe21
04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Danielle,
This is not personal...I'm merely trying to keep with the terms of this forum.
With a new forum it can be difficult...to me this is clearly mixed media and I am well aware of the glass necklaces that CAN be made with these, which wasn't mentioned in your description.

I think it's terrific that you are organizing projects & keeping this forum growing...:)

But as you are proposing this project it doesn't fit in wearable art IMO. It can then be up to the person who approves this project to decide if it belongs in this forum. :)

beclectic
04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Well wherever you put it let me know because I was already thinking of something to do with a ton of clip-art I just remembered I had. This is perfect and if you do a recurring Tag Art exchange say 4 times a year, with a different theme for each exchange or something, I might eventually collect all the ones I receive into a collection of jewelry or an altered book. If you post it in wearable art then maybe it could be a combo project. First an exchange then make something wearable with what you receive and exchange one back to your original partner. Then you have a set, one you made and one your friend made.

OK, my brain is slowing down to normal and I have a very long stream of conciousness sentence above. :music: :::whistleing off into the distance:::

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Cathleen~

No worries, I don't think it's personal at all. That's why I put this up as a discussion. While typing the proposal, I got a bit sidetracked with all the info I was providing, but I'd like to see what ideas other ppl have for making this a wearable piece. It doesn't have to remain as it is, it's just a springboard topic to see where it can go.

If no one has ideas for wearable pieces, then I'll certainly approach Mixed Media about it.

Sorry for not clarifying better, it's a bit harried around here this morning between the munchkin, the phone, clients, etc. :rolleyes:

~D. :D

DonnaBee
04-22-2004, 11:16 AM
I consider a tag to be wearable art.

(perhaps make one requirement be that the tag be made with it's attachment in place... cord, whatever goes with the design.)

I hope Danielle, if there seems to be interest in participating in this project in this Wearables forum, that you will write the project and that it will be approved.

I would be first to sign up!

I feel that Tag Art that is being created with "wearable" in mind, as it would be in Danielle's project, might possibly, in some cases, take on different aspects than one that is created as a Mixed Media entry.

Cyndi L
04-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Although I love ATCs, I don't consider them to be properly in the "wearables" forum either. HOWEVER, what about pins? You could do a pin swap with either a tag or an ATC as the body...? Maybe?

Cyndi L
04-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Oh, duh, by the way...meant to say I will most likely take part in the swap whether it's here or in Mixed Media or wherever, as long as someone lets me know :)

artbabe21
04-22-2004, 11:52 AM
I consider a tag to be wearable art.

Not as it is written up Donna...BUT it can be written up to make it wearable & I hope that happens....because the sky is the limit & these are quite artististic to make & more unusual from most projects. I've seen beautiful charm bracelets & pins using medical slides to encase collages & then solder the sides (as seen on Gillian's site, art-e-zine).

I think Danielle was wise to put it up for discussion. I have so many ATCs from swaps & they just sit & collect dust...it would be so much better to have them wearable & there would be no question as to it's approval...:)

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Editing myself to prevent further misunderstanding of my idea for discussion. /chuckle

Hi hi all!

Before you groan and throw popcorn at me for suggesting yet ANOTHER project, let me first say that this is a SMALL one and is a bit of mixed media, and instead of only getting one thing, you get TWO! See, isn't this sounding good already?!?! ;)

Ok, read on.

Sooooo....most of you know I've been making this "art purse" which is a combo of many medias, some including rubber stamping, collage work, digital images, painting, etc.

<snips irrelevent babble that distracts ppl>

Also big in the realm of this type of artwork is "Tag Art" which is really what I'm interested in doing here in this particular exchange.

This is taking basic paper, luggage style tags and revamping them to suit your own whimsy. They can easily be bought at most craft stores or rubber stamp/scrapbooking stores, or even online. Or, if you're really adventurous, you can find an old leather luggage tag off a suitcase and rework that. Anyway, the basis for this exchange is to do TWO tags of similar or different themes and MAKE THEM WEARABLE, i.e. pins, necklaces, bracelets, hair ornaments, etc.

There will be a limited sign up to make sure that everyone gets two tags in return for their two they swap out. What you get back is a little inspiration from your fellow artists here in Wearable Art.

Here's a link to some tag art: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/tagart.html

One more: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/tagart2.html

To make this more suited to most of us, I will require some sort of beads be shown on the tags. You can make an entirely beaded piece, or just thread a few, or showcase one bead only. It's up to you. But somewhere, there must be a bead on your tag.

Now, this is just a discussion atm, to see what you all think. So speak up. I'd like to see if there's any interest in this sort of exchange. If anything, the tags make great bookmarks. ;)

~Danielle

Barrie
04-22-2004, 12:23 PM
This is so outside of the realms of what I do that I'm sorely tempted to take on the project, just to force me to think outside the box!!! I do prefer the 'wearble' edit, as it would be a shame to see these laying around somewhere gathering dust. Are there any tutorials on how to put these things together, or are we winging it?? Like I said, this woudl be soooo new to me! LOL! I wouldn't even know what glue to use (do you use glue?), or anything like that!

Okay, I've talked myself into it - if you turn it into an official project, I'm signing up!

(I feel a new 'hobby' coming on! Oh noooooooooooo) :evil:

beclectic
04-22-2004, 12:44 PM
I think Danielle was wise to put it up for discussion. I have so many ATCs from swaps & they just sit & collect dust...it would be so much better to have them wearable & there would be no question as to it's approval...:)

Cathleen, don't let your Artist Trading Cards sit and collect dust. Lamanate them and stick them in a hat brim or they seem ideal for scrapbooking. You know you could make playing cards out of them by putting the number and suite unobtrusively on the least decorated side or what about a tarot deck? With the cards at least playing solitaire wouldn't be booring. I just had another idea. Laminate them to a lap desk or put them between 2 pieces of laminate and make 2 sided place mats.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Barrie~

If we do get this put together as a Project Exchange, I'll do a really simple tutorial and link it, so you have the basic idea of what to use, how to make them, etc.

~D.

artbabe21
04-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Cathleen, don't let your Artist Trading Cards sit and collect dust. Lamanate them and stick them in a hat brim or they seem ideal for scrapbooking. You know you could make playing cards out of them by putting the number and suite unobtrusively on the least decorated side or what about a tarot deck? With the cards at least playing solitaire wouldn't be booring. I just had another idea. Laminate them to a lap desk or put them between 2 pieces of laminate and make 2 sided place mats.

Barbara....so many good ideas...I used to be in a regular swap of card decks, then participated in a tarot deck that was a collaboartion of 26 years that was published as a deck. Some of my friends laminated cards & had trouble with that peeling. I have other cards that are a swap that are in a book form...too many cards to count but sometimes on a rainy day I get them out & look at them. PS...I don't play card...LOL

Barrie...so glad you are interested in 'thinking outside the box' it certainly does that! I think we tap into a different creative side than what we're used to in the usual art pursuits with these...:)

Danielle...that was sure an EASY fix on the project!! Good going...:)

lisilk
04-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi Danielle

Just popping my head into the conversation.. There have been a few ATC and Tag swaps already in the Sci-f forum. So far this does sound more like it belongs in mixed media. Write something up and we'll go from there IF there is enough interest. You could also do this informally with whoever else is interested.

Cheers

Li

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 02:28 PM
GAH....ok, this is NOT an ATC swap. I think we're getting stuck on that idea, that's why I edited it out of the post for discussion. I was just using that as a reference to some of the kewl ideas running rampant around out there. I realize that in my hurry to get the original post up, I didn't explain myself clearly, and now we have ensuing pandemonium. My bad! /smacks self.

I honestly don't see how (if the requirement is to make it a wearable piece) this isn't suited to the WA forum. Beads must be part of the piece, and it has to affix to your person in some manner.

The "idea" of tag art was used to get ppl thinking outside the box, like Barrie mentioned. My necklace for the Deep Blue sea project was a mixed media piece, and many other artists in here are venturing down that road to use alternative medias and incorporating traditional and non traditional jewlery items into finished pieces.

If nothing else, then refer back to my mixed media pins I was throwing into the daily show and tells for a bit. This is just a spin off of that, but I didn't want to restrict ppl to making pins. If you can find a cool way to turn a tag, pieces of a tag, etc, into a bracelet or a necklace, by golly, go for it.

I truly believe that to become a good artist, it's not a bad idea to expand your horizons and work outside the comfort zone once in a while. It will feed so much more insiration into your normal working mediums.

Soooooooooo...with all that in mind, I am hoping ppl will still be interested in making this a wearable piece and doing some creative thinking with the tag art as a basis for ideas.

I don't want to write it up until we have all come to an agreement that it can stay in this forum as a wearable piece, so I'm still leaving it up here for discussion and ideas.

Thanks much!

~D.

DonnaBee
04-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Oh I really like the idea of making the tag a pin! (As one possible way to make them wearable.)

WillowMajestic
04-22-2004, 03:08 PM
I definitely like this idea. I am also with Barrie ... though I dabble in other areas, this is definitely out of my comfort zone and so it intrigues me. I really like seeing all of the people here pushing the envelope in wearable art. Getting away from tradition and being creative is always a great thing! I do hope this stays in wearable art. No promises .. but like Barrie, I am talking myself into it!

Kari

Gingerbiscuit
04-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Oh I really like the idea of making the tag a pin! (As one possible way to make them wearable.)

Me too. I would certainly join in. I really like the idea of a tag swap. I love tag art.

And, just as a suggestion, the tag could be made of stuff other than card. Maybe??

Polymer clay maybe. Just a thought. Or mountboard (mat board) with ultra thick embossing enamel.

Just my twopenneth!

Lynne :)

gypsysoul
04-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Oh I love this idea, Danielle! You could even make a pin/pendant. As for the tags, I've seen them done where the original manilla tag is used to trace the shape onto something more durable than paper (basically whatever else you can think of to use as a base that can be embellished), and then go from there. Or you could laminate your base tag piece and then add on to that, etc.

Oh my, thinking about your fiber necklace, Danielle, how about making a set of small tags (like the round or the mini-luggage type) and using them in a necklace or bracelet? Not necessarily for this project, but what a fun idea!

Paula

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Now you all are thinking!

Paula, I love your tag necklace idea! That's precisely the sort of ideas I want ppl to start coming up with.

See? it can be done!

~D.

GardensOnGlass
04-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Danielle, where do you get your energy, I want to get me some! I think it sounds like a wonderful project & can't wait to see the results!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-22-2004, 08:09 PM
LOL, thanks Lori!

I realized a long time ago that art was my passion. There's nothing else I can do that I can get excited about more than art of just about any type, so I eat, sleep and breathe it every spare minute I get.

It makes me peaceful in a religious sort of way. If I'm creating, designing, dreaming about or making, it doesn't get any better than that.

I just try to spread it wherever I go. ;)

:D ~D.

ringslingin
04-22-2004, 08:18 PM
I think this is a great idea. I've never done this kind of thing before, just looking at your examples has inspired me in all kinds of things today... For example my neighbor is a Marine and is deployed in Iraq at the moment. After I saw this thread I called his wife (we are great friends) and thought this would be an AWESOME way to revamp a small sketch book to send to him in a care package. He's really into dragons, faires, and all things metaphysical. He's also an artist who loves to sketch, paint, you name it.

When my husband was deployed last year he made a killer welcome home banner graffitti style... I'll try to get a picture of it up sometime soon.

So, if anyone would like to help Stephanie and I with this sketch book idea, please let me know. :)

Now that I'm done thread hogging... I would love to see Danielle's project get off of the ground, as long as she's going to help us newbies get going with it!

Denise

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Bump!

~d. ;)

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 09:50 AM
I was wondering if there would be a requirement as to the size or type of tag?

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 10:09 AM
No Ma'am....you can use any size, shape or type of tag you want. You can take a huge tag and break it up into pieces, etc, etc.

~D.

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Oh! Okay... :)

I would love to make a brooch from a tag! Would the deadline be quite a-ways off? (Do others like the idea of a deadline farther away, or rather close? I like the way the deadline works in the Garden exchange, it's far out there, but if you finish early then you can exchange with another who finished early.)

Simply Bea
04-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi Danielle

Sounds like fun......... and if timing is right, I'd like to give it a try......... only if I think I can worki it into my schedule as it seems like time just skips (and keeps skipping) away without me.........

Bea

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Just foolin around with some Shrinky Dinks stuff, the Tyvek beads and fibers...

Thought I'd post a little inspiration...this isn't wearable atm, but it was fun to see what you can do with the PolyShrink stuff.

Whee!

~D.

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Danielle, that is extremely inspirational.

Glass tags are becoming all the rage. The current Somerset Studios has a glass tag necklace that is to die for.

Scroll down to halfway on this page, and see glass tag jewelry:

http://www.stampington.com/html/stazon_ink_pads_cleaner.html

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 12:08 PM
More glass tags:

http://www.stampington.com/html/glass_tags_circles_more.html

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 12:12 PM
/giggle

Paula and I are in cahoots about this already.../wink

Miss GypsySoul Designs is trying to get me into Bankruptcy court this morning. She emailed me a pic of that glass tag necklace and then the links on where to buy them....darn her!

Thanks Donna!

/blows the dust out of her wallet. /wink wink

~D.

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Post the pic of the glass tag necklace! Please! Teases!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Yes ma'am!

Here it is:

gypsysoul
04-23-2004, 12:28 PM
heeheeheeheehee! :evil:

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Gasp!

Glass heart tags:

http://www.stampington.com/html/glass_hearts.html

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 12:32 PM
They are made by a fused glass artist Stacy Dorr, exclusively for Stampington. It's good to support the independant glass artists!

(You can bet cheap knock-offs are to follow though...)

gypsysoul
04-23-2004, 12:35 PM
I like it, Danielle! :clap: I don't know how big it is, but I think it would make a fun necklace if you could somehow attach it to something (braided fibers? a fat cord? leather?).

Here's something that is definitely not wearable, but it's the first thing I ever tried with tags (from a class I took on making a tag art "book"). You can't see it in this picture, but one of the "tags" is made from a piece of copper sheet. You could probably even use sheet metal as a base to attach beads, etc. Really, the possibilities are endless!

Paula

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Ohhh, you little sneaky woman, you...!!!

Evilness I say! /points a finger at Paula!

Lookit' her giggling at us!

/bonks Paula

~D.

gypsysoul
04-23-2004, 12:41 PM
They are made by a fused glass artist Stacy Dorr, exclusively for Stampington. It's good to support the independant glass artists!

(You can bet cheap knock-offs are to follow though...)

Donna, I considered making these tags for myself, but when I thought about what is involved I realized these actually are cheap! I honestly don't know how she can do them at that price considering the labor involved. Unless she knows some secret I'm not aware of, it's a many-step process to make them including cutting the glass, drilling holes (not easy), grinding the glass, slumping the glass in a kiln, grinding some more, and fire polishing the glass in a kiln. They are actually a bargain at that price.

Paula

DonnaBee
04-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the info Paula, I am not knowledgable about fusing.

Oh, I would like to buy bunches and bunches!

beclectic
04-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Donna, I considered making these tags for myself, but when I thought about what is involved I realized these actually are cheap! I honestly don't know how she can do them at that price considering the labor involved. Unless she knows some secret I'm not aware of, it's a many-step process to make them including cutting the glass, drilling holes (not easy), grinding the glass, slumping the glass in a kiln, grinding some more, and fire polishing the glass in a kiln. They are actually a bargain at that price.

Paula

Why would the glass need to be ground? When you fuse glass the edges come out rounded from the heat applied. I would think you could cut the glass, drill the hole and then do the heat to round the edges.

Looking at the pictures at the link posted I don't understand how the ink from the stamps is kept on the glass. It seems like it would rub off. Did y'all see anything about how that is prevented?

I have some glass paint that is fired on in the oven. You could use that to paint anything you wanted on the glass tag blank. Also enamals come to mind to fire onto the glass in the kiln. Since a tag that is worn would rub against the wearer's shirt you still need some way to protect the back so the paint didn't chip? Any ideas? Hey I just got one, after painting you could cover the back in several layers of the clear stamping embossing stuff to protect the back, hmmm would that stick to glass? Maybe not. I like the idea of seeing the paint through the galss and you could get a 3D effect by painting part of the design on the back and part on the front. Maybe even some of that gold leaf work they were talking about on the back and then something else painted on the front.

Bummer now my head is hurting again. I'm home today with a migrain and it was almost gone, now it is coming back. Must be caused by thinking. Back to bed for me. Where's that ice pack....

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Barbara~

On some of those links that Donna posted, there are permanent inks used especially for glass, and you can buy sealant. You also can use those heat setting paints you mentioned, Liquitex makes glass paints that you just heat in the oven to set as well. I've used them before, and they're great. They have a really nice glossy enamel look/feel.

~D.

gypsysoul
04-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Why would the glass need to be ground? When you fuse glass the edges come out rounded from the heat applied. I would think you could cut the glass, drill the hole and then do the heat to round the edges.

Looking at the pictures at the link posted I don't understand how the ink from the stamps is kept on the glass. It seems like it would rub off. Did y'all see anything about how that is prevented?

I have some glass paint that is fired on in the oven. You could use that to paint anything you wanted on the glass tag blank. Also enamals come to mind to fire onto the glass in the kiln. Since a tag that is worn would rub against the wearer's shirt you still need some way to protect the back so the paint didn't chip? Any ideas? Hey I just got one, after painting you could cover the back in several layers of the clear stamping embossing stuff to protect the back, hmmm would that stick to glass? Maybe not. I like the idea of seeing the paint through the galss and you could get a 3D effect by painting part of the design on the back and part on the front. Maybe even some of that gold leaf work they were talking about on the back and then something else painted on the front.

Bummer now my head is hurting again. I'm home today with a migrain and it was almost gone, now it is coming back. Must be caused by thinking. Back to bed for me. Where's that ice pack....

Barbara, you have to grind the edges if you want them to end up perfectly smooth, especially on pieces with severe angles like a triangle. They will smooth out somewhat when slumped, but you can still have a sharpness to them that would not be comfortable to wear. Also, cutting small pieces like that, unless you are very good at cutting, usually results in a bit of shaping needed, and the grinder would help with that, too. The nicest fused pieces you see have all been subjected to some kind of cold working of the glass because you just can't get that look any other way.

The ink they propose using is made to adhere to smooth surfaces. You could probably also etch the glass just a little and then most anything would adhere nicely. The glass paints that you bake would work very well, but I'm not sure what constant skin contact would do to them, or even to a sealer. I'm sure someone out there must know, maybe the manufacturer?

Sorry about your headache. :crying: Hope it gets better soon!

Paula

GardensOnGlass
04-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Barbara, I think they're using the new ink, I think it's called Stays On or something like that, however I imagine it would wear off eventually. Being as I paint on glass (hence the GardensOnGlass), I'll toss in a couple of ideas.

I have used several different paints for painting on glass. I've used acrylics (sealed), Delta PermEnamel, Liquitex Glossies and Pebeo Porcelain 150 (there's also Vitrea, but it's transparent and I need opaque coverage). Of all the paints I've used, the Pebeo (unsealed) is definitely the most durable (I have glass garden markers that have weathered a Maine winter). The other paints do not hold up as well.

However, I've done some experimenting with sealers, and Envirotex is the best so far. I've used the spray on gloss on painted glass beads, and painted resin beads and they hold up well with normal use (I do remove bracelets when washing dishes, etc.). I have used the Delta PermEnamel Gloss Coat on the pins I paint, and for that type of jewelry piece, they hold up well. I have pins that I painted back in 1997 (when I started) that I still wear, and are holding up quite well. However, I've made charms for a bracelet and the PermEnamel Gloss did not hold up to the clinking wear and tear that a charm bracelet endures. Haven't tried the Envirotex spray on for that either, because they're edged in a sterling silver solder & I don't want to get it on the metal.

However, Envirotex makes a mixable resin that can be poured on. That's how I found the spray on Envirotex. It was recommended by the jewelry artist Jen Smith www.jensmith.com . I sent her an e-mail about a year ago asking what resin she used to seal her jewelry. I explained my dilemma with my jewelry and she graciously shared her secret. I've purchased the pour on (I'm thinking I'll apply it for my purposes with a medicine dropper onto the charms & hopefully the small soldered edge will be big enough to hold the resin in place. We'll see!).

Anyway, long winded explanation, but hope this helps. Oh, also, bear in mind if you use enamel paints that they are quite thick compared to acrylics, and they have a spreading tendency. I use really small, fine brushes and the paint still spreads.

Hope this helps!

GardensOnGlass
04-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Diamond Wire Saws and Diamond Band Saws allow you to cut with precision and don't need to be ground after as they're ground while cutting! :evil:

I got my diamond wire saw a month ago & have uncrated it, but haven't hooked it up yet. I'm seriously debating doing so, cause this project exchange sounds so intriguing (I wouldn't be ripping-off the Stampington tags, mine would be a bit different-think beautifully swirled art glass tags, edged with silver!) Sigh, I'm the queen of procrastination however.......If I just didn't have a house, husband, 4 kids, 2 dogs, cat, part-time job, school board....... Oh, heck, who am I kidding, I'd still procrastinate!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-23-2004, 02:46 PM
WOW. That is a total wealth of information on glass paints, sealers and saws. LOL.

And while I'm totally glad this is here to refer to, I don't want newcomers to this thread to be disuaded from the project thinking that they have a lot to buy or learn in order to participate.

We're still just tossing around ideas for tag art that's wearable, and glass is definitely a route, but there are others that are a lot less expensive. There are paper glazes out that that dry with a crystal clear hard finish and depending on how many coats you use, it gets nice and thick. Don't rule out those ordinary old paper tags yet! You can do some kewl scrapbooking stuff on them and glaze them, and they're quite pretty. I have one drying atm that I'll post when I can get a pic of both sides.

Anyhoo, please don't think I don't appreciate all the info GoG! I certainly do! And hey, what's this about not posting your stuff?? Get over to the show and tell missy and start showin us yer' goodies! /cracks whip

;)

~D.

gypsysoul
04-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Lori, I forgot about the diamond saws, probably because they're so far beyond what I ever considered with fusing. :D Besides, once I got my torch, lampworking took over my life. lol I have a Taurus ring saw that has been on my shelf a good two years or more and has never been out of the box! :eek:

Danielle is so right--there are tons of things you can use besides glass that are likely less expensive and less complicated. Even tags made from scraps of fabric would be fun. This is the kind of project where you can really let your imagination run wild.

Paula

GardensOnGlass
04-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Oh, I agree totally. I was just trying to respond to some of the questions Barbara posed. Cold glass and painting are my things, at least until I can get my son's bedroom finished in the basement & I can turn his bedroom into a studio so I can torch. I don't want to go boom!

I think it was Barrie who said in the beginning that this would be a good exercise in thinking outside of the box! Keep thinking ladies!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Bump!

;)

~d.

Chris Em
04-29-2004, 12:04 PM
I think I'm already half-way there on the tag project! Brought home a new glass circle cutter and got carried away playing with it. I now have a stack of 2 inch blanks sitting on my workbench!! Was thinking to do something with sandblasting or etching on them. Maybe link them together to create a 'quilted curtain' for my bathroom window. But now. . . after reading your posts and viewing the images. . .I think I'll take a bit of a side trip!

By the way -- I got the circle cutter from Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com). Comes with it's own heavy duty cutter. Might be designed for tile but works great on glass.
It's the absolute best I've ever used for smaller circles (2 - 6"). I already had several cutters but decided to give it a try because it was so cheap at $7.50. Works equally well with or without cutting oil. I even tried scoring the circles cookie cutter style (1/2" space between) on a 6x10 inch piece of scrap and broke them out beautifully. Very little grinding.

Wishing you all a great morning -- Chris