PDA

View Full Version : More Automotive Art...

Charger
04-22-2004, 03:45 AM
Well I got a request to post some more auto art, so I'm obliging. Not that I'd mind anyway. :D

This one is a 1967 Dodge Dart GT that I painted for a friend of mine. She's restoring the car (gradually...) and this is what she wants it to look like when she's done.

Charger
04-22-2004, 03:48 AM
This next one is another '71 Plymouth 'Cuda. I call this one "Gills In Violet" which is actually a play on words. First, I like to paint what makes a car unique from year to year and model to model, and for the '71 'Cuda, one of the most noticeable unique factors are the faux "gills" on the fender. Also, Chrysler Corporation had some incredible colors for the years '69-'71 that they called the "High Impact Colors." They all had special names - for example yellow was called "Top Banana" or "Lemon Twist" - and purple on a Plymouth was called "In Violet." Hence - Gills In Violet.

It's a bit obtuse, but the Mopar-savvy get it immediately. ;)

PS - this is a digital pic, and I had to use the flash, so sorry about the bad glare.

Charger
04-22-2004, 03:51 AM
Last one for now. This is a 1969 Dodge Charger. My car is very much like this, except that it's a 1970 model with a few differences (like no center divider in the grille). I'm not done with the wheels on this one. :rolleyes:

Charger
04-22-2004, 04:32 AM
Well, I had one more kickin around, so I'll post that one as well. This one is a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX. This car has sculpted sides that were pretty typical in the mid '60s, but rather extreme on this car. Also they came with beautiful Magnum 500 wheels and redline tires.

This is 20"x30" by the way.

billiam
04-22-2004, 06:00 AM
man you made my day, these are great. good drawings can express the details so much better, it just suck you in visually. i freaked yesterday when i went to tampa, saw a karma giha with an aero package, seen everything now! the red line tires look great. i wasn't fond of the wide ovals, hydroplaned a mustang 2+2 fastback, backwards into a telephone pole. and ford went on strike. no car for a long time. i loved doing the rodsters in grammar school. i'm wound for sound now. bill

Rosebudlr
04-22-2004, 10:57 AM
What memories your paintings bring back. YOu have made my day also. Still would love to see you do the 68 charger, I know it is very like the 69 but the 68 also did not have the split grill and the tail lights were round , different from the 69. YOu have wonderful talent.

Charger
04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
What memories your paintings bring back. YOu have made my day also. Still would love to see you do the 68 charger, I know it is very like the 69 but the 68 also did not have the split grill and the tail lights were round , different from the 69. YOu have wonderful talent.

Oh I know all about those great '68s. I was actually looking for one when my '70 came up for sale, but they're very similar (I'm not a huge split-grille fan either). I'll get around to painting a '68 sooner or later. What do you think of this picture I took at a car show?

http://www.hemi70.com/pics/vegas%20cars/68chr01.jpg

Rosebudlr
04-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Oh I know all about those great '68s. I was actually looking for one when my '70 came up for sale, but they're very similar (I'm not a huge split-grille fan either). I'll get around to painting a '68 sooner or later. What do you think of this picture I took at a car show?

http://www.hemi70.com/pics/vegas%20cars/68chr01.jpg
Awesome photo. Love those taillights! Ours was a copper color with a black vinyl roof. I think I loved the car before I loved my husband! OPPS> OUCH! LOL!! :D

My husband used to race that car everyway and I think he believed he was one the of Dukes of Hazard boys with all the stunts and jumps he pulled with the car. Still, would love to see you paint that one, maybe even for me?? hmm..

Awesome work! :clap:

surreal
04-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I am enjoying your paintings of automobiles!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Carguy
04-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Nice work!! There are a few gear-heads on the WC! We should lobby for our own forum to post in. :D

ExpressiveAngie
04-22-2004, 04:35 PM
I think it shows how much you love cars, these are superb. :clap: :clap:

artistodon
04-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Stop already!!! I'm starting to choke on the fumes! lol. I would love to see you do some paintings of stock drag racing cars.

Don :)

Charger
04-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Still, would love to see you paint that one, maybe even for me?? hmm..

Love to. Copper you say? There are plenty of possible colors right around there though. Copper, Dark Tan Metallic, and Turbine Bronze spring to mind. Send me a message if you're interested.

I would love to see you do some paintings of stock drag racing cars.

You a "Dandy" Dick Landy fan? He raced Chargers and Challengers in A/Stock, and I've painted a couple of them. I'll see if I can dig them up for you and post them here later.

billiam
04-23-2004, 07:34 AM
they took pride in their paint jobs back then, i hate seeing orange peel on a car. expensive car, crappy paint job. my buddy and i painted our bicycles a lot, we did a whole lot better and we were in grammar school. bill