PDA

View Full Version : Cross

themanda
04-22-2004, 02:44 AM
a friend is getting married in a few months, and i wanted to give her something better than a blender. :)

this will eventually have her name and her husband's and their wedding date on the bottom in some pretty way. haven't gotten that far yet.

and look...COLOR!!! :)

any suggestions on how i can improve this for now? in the final piece this cross does not fill the entire picture...there's a nice field of the blue around it, with more empty space at the bottom. this is just a detail of the entire image.

Jet
04-22-2004, 03:54 AM
Oh Amanda !!

I just love celtic knots, she will love it.:clap:

There are some sites where there's lots of explanation on the meanings of different knots for every occasion.

keep on going !

Chiers
04-22-2004, 04:37 AM
This is nice. I bet they will treasure it. My only suggestion might be to darken the outside edges of your background a bit.

themanda
04-22-2004, 04:44 PM
thanks so much!

that's an excellent idea to darken the edges of the background...will do. i'm worried that all of the blue makes it looked washed out...does anyone else feel that, or am i being overly critical?

ktellefsen
04-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Beautiful. I love playing with knot work.

grahamrj
04-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Nice knotwork... I have done some Celtic knots and key patterns myself though not recently. I even started writing a program to do some of the drawing automatically at one point.

As to washed out... I'd prefer the cross to stand out more. I don't think darkening the background works well because you have the light glow around the cross - you'll end up with the cross midway (tone-wise) between the glow and the rest of the background. I'd suggest de-saturating the background instead, so the cross is the bluest thing in the picture, and (slightly) sharpening and increasing contrast of the cross.

Graham

flowerfancy58
04-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Hi Manda,
That is a gorgeous celtic cross:) I tend to agree with you about all the blue. It would be a shame not to show that cross off as much as possible.

Just a thought........ you could darken the shade of blue in the cross to make it stand out a bit more....... maybe make it a blue/purple, or slate blue. Really wouldn't matter that much shich one I don't think. You could tinker with it, lol!!

gloria:)

Chiers
04-24-2004, 02:29 AM
Themanda I did something I really believe people shouldn't do without asking so if this offends you please accept my apology!! I just wanted to give you an idea what I meant. I did this quickly just to show you . I like the all blue by the way.

themanda
04-27-2004, 01:52 AM
ktellefsen--thanks! it was a lot of fun to do...one night i sat here for what felt like 10, 15 minutes top and looked up to see it was nearly 3 am! on a workday, no less. :)

graham--thanks for your input. i've been playing with the background color and just can't come up with something i like against that cross. i'm considering changing the colors of everything, at this point. that, i think, is the most wonderful thing about digital work...you can just bash the hell out of your copies and try any combination of anything you want, and never mess up your pristine original. :)

gloria--thanks for your input! it means a lot coming from you! :)

sherry--i don't get offended when people do things to my work, so never wonder about that with me. i know that some people are bothered by it, though. i really like what this does to it...brings out some jewel tones, almost, and makes it look very deep and rich. excellent suggestion.

maybe i'll have time to work on this again this week...i'll be sure to post an update here!

pstewart
05-01-2004, 04:59 AM
Amanda, a really beautiful cross! Great choice of style and colors!

Cronious
05-02-2004, 05:03 AM
Great work Thermanda. Love the nott work and depth control.