PDA

View Full Version : "Lady Of The Woods"

Leaflin
04-21-2004, 09:41 PM
The Silver Birch is known as the "Lady Of The Woods".
Her white bark gleams in both moonlight and sunlight.

I used the Airbrush in my sky and in the creek.
My reference photo was taken during a camping trip last Fall at Douthat State Park Virginia.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2004/1471-LOTW2.jpg

AlpineAirbrush
04-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Beautiful painting, Leaflin.

What's going on with the masking tape in the 2nd photo?

HF AIRBRUSH
04-22-2004, 03:03 AM
nice job....i like how you did the trees....i never seems to know how to point those trees...so i'll keep up with the dogs...hahahaha

henk

Penny220
04-22-2004, 09:30 AM
This was definately worth the wait Linda. I love white birch, it's the state tree for VT or NH I can't remember which but I didn't know it was called the "lady of the woods" Your painting is beautiful, you did a wonderful job on it, thank you for sharing.

Maryl Lehman
04-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi Linda, your painting is beautiful! Is the masked painting the only step you have posted? Just thought I may have missed something.

~Maryl

Leaflin
04-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Thank You everyone :)
I was so excited about finally having a painting to contribute to the forum I didn't say a darn thing about the painting :D

It's acrylic on canvas board, measuring 18 x 24.
I used my airbrush for the "hazy" feel in the sky.
For the creek I first painted the creek bottom, and rocks then masked out the areas I wanted to protect with Art Masking Fluid, and masking tape.
Next, I sprayed the creek with a weak mixture of the sky colour.
My guide for this painting was "Painting The Secret World Of Nature" by John Agnew.

My goal at the beginning of the year was to go through the Ogham Alphabet, and do a painting of each of the thirteen birth trees, starting with the Silver Birch. December 24th to January 20th is the first month of the Celtic Tree Calendar. As well as being the "Lady Of The Woods" the silver birch is known as the tree of enchantment.

Caterwallin'
04-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Linda Lou!!!!!!
This is gorgeous! I knew you were an airhead at heart! I think I can see some Trout in that little stream/creek! I'm like henk, I can never get trees right! Great Job!

Thanks for letting us view it!

ProfessorGreibowitz
04-24-2004, 03:26 AM
oooh, that looks really good!

The colors are deep and rich and the birch trees really look nice and round.

Great job!

Tim

Leaflin
04-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks Sam and Tim :)
I did this for an upcoming show, but have decided to keep it for myself :D