PDA

View Full Version : First Ebay Sale

Seeley
04-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Well I finally did it and jumped into the Ebay ring. This is my first set I've every tried to sell, so... please be honest and tell me what you really think of the piece and the add so that I can make changes and improve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4107104555

Thanks for all the advice

Tom

blazinghussy
04-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Tom, I love it! I want to know what your reserve is out of curiousity, but I know it's an eBay 'secret' ;)

One thing, you transposed the last two letters of the word 'strength' in your description. Just a niggling thing, but I'm sort of anal about typos :) (Not that you'd know it from my posts or anything :rolleyes: )

Kel

Seeley
04-21-2004, 08:07 PM
LOL I cant type or spell! I think english has got to be my second language.... grew up in eastern Wisconsin ;) Thank you for picking up the typo. I started at $40 didnt really know where to begin, but it has quite a lot of beads on it. My reserve is set for $75... hoping thats not to high.

Tom

blazinghussy
04-21-2004, 09:09 PM
I don't think that's too high at all :) As a matter of fact I sometimes set the reserve on pieces I'm selling waaaaaay high to see how high the bidding will go. If it reaches the reserve, great! If not I relist without a reserve if it appears I'll get what I feel the piece is worth :)

Kel

beadamaniac!
04-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Tom,

The necklace looks really cool, but I would like to see better close ups of the beads. My best advice to you is that ebay pics suck. See if you can host your pics somewhere and then enter them into your text in html. I've been selling jewelry on ebay for about 3 years and have two ids. Most of my jewelry goes out of my store. There's a link in my sig if you want to check my pics out.

Good luck!

BurningScentsations
04-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Tom,

The piece is absolutely beautiful. Great Job!

Personally, since you're trying to make a name for yourself on E-bay I probably wouldn't have listed it with a reserve price since that does tend to scare off bidders. Others may disagree with me on this point--it's all personal preference.

Another thing you might want to mention is that each bead hand-made by yourself in your studio instead of "homemade"--just a style issue. To me homemade has a connotation that might not bring you the highest price. Hand-made in a studio seems more "upscale" for listing--not that it makes any difference in the beads and your jewelry, but perception is very important when selling on the web.

Try to beef up your descriptions a bit and let your clientele know a bit more about your such as how long you've been lampworking, what inspires your creativity, etc. More information--not a book, of course--but some background may make buyers more comfortable with you and willing to give your items a try. Check out other listers and see what kind of information they're including.

Also remember, not everyone on E-bay will know what Frit and Moretti are. Everyone will know what "High-Quality Imported Italian Glass Rods" are, however. That also makes it sound more expensive!

Your pictures look great and excellent work putting in a closeup of the beads. They're really pretty.

Best of luck to you on the The Bay! It looks like you'll have a bright future there and here!

Lloyd

DebbieSue
04-21-2004, 10:20 PM
I think "hand-crafted" sounds even better. Congratulations on your first and good luck! :)

Debbie

Seeley
04-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Lisa, Lloyd, Kel. and Debbie,

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I have already implemented many of your ideas.

I will have to work harder on the pic's though.. that seems the be the most difficult thing... getting good photos of the beads.

I hope to post more sales, but will have to wait and see how this first one goes.

Tom

Carriebug
04-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Great necklace! Ebay is a tough one sometimes...one thing I noticed, and maybe I just missed it :) is whether or not your findings are sterling silver or plated. Most folks like to know what exactly they are buying. I tend not to bid if it's not mentioned, figuring if it was sterling or whatever they'd have said so.

Just a thought,
Carrie

Kamaranoir
04-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Nice Necklace Tom :)
I am also one of those people who always like to know exactly what all the findings are made of and I notice that hardly anyone tells what they string their jewerly on. I always like that information as well. I like the fact that you include all the measurements. But overall your presentation looks really good I hope you do well <G>

Penelle