PDA

View Full Version : Wed. 4/21 better late than never show 'yer stuff

Shirley C.
04-21-2004, 05:15 PM
gosh, we shoulda started a wednesday thread... so i'll go for it. and i don't even have a finished piece to show - what a hog am i?!

i pulled this bead set out of the kiln this morning and now i'm trying to decide if i should make jewelry from it or put it in my "for sale" bin. i'm doing the bead bazaar at the annual isgb gathering in portland in august, and my inventory is embarrassing. but oh, i could see this with some iolite and pearls and tanzanite swarovski and... and... :rolleyes:

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-21-2004, 05:24 PM
LOL Shirley...I guess we have artist's ESP...;)

I LOVE, love, love those beads! They're soooo pretty! Man, I don't think I could make beads. I wouldn't want to share them. I'd have to hog them all to myself. /wink

~Danielle

artbabe21
04-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Very cool beads Shirley! Love the colors! Not familiar with beads done in the kiln... :confused:

Barrie
04-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Shirley, those are stunning!!! Sure wish I could go to the Gathering! It's so close for me this year, but I have a huge art show that weekend, and making money is almost more important than spending it! And as it is the most important one for me, I guess I'll have to go <sigh>. So have fun in Portland for me, okay?!?

Cathleen, glass beads that are made on a torch (in a flame) are placed in a kiln to 'anneal' or 'destress' the beads, as they can be held at a specific temperature, then cooled very, very slowly, giving you a stable sturdy glass bead when done.

Speaking of kilns and glass (and hogs! LOL!) I posted this earlier in the good morning thread, but here it is again! They just look so pretty together. These are a batch of dichroic cabs I made for my jewelry, and they look good enough to eat - well, maybe just to gawk at! Hmmmmmm, purties!!!!!!! (sure wish I had more stuff to show!)

Beads-Me!
04-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Actually "sister" I think those should stay in the family and you should send them to me - thus solving your dilemna! ;)

edit: Oh Barrie - those are wonderful! So much pretty color...

Kerensamere
04-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Barrie- If those cabs dissapear DO NOT LOOK IN PA!!! I repeat! DO NOT LOOK IN PA!!! I might just have to commune with the fairies and have them bring those to me :D They're gorgeous, I'd love to add them to some of my work too!

One of these days I've really got to take a class in dichroic cab making. Must find time though, speaking of which I'd better get back in my studio, got a big show on Saturday. Anyone with connections with Mother Nature that can put in a good word for me please request sunshin on Saturday in Kutztown, PA.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

-Jen

beclectic
04-21-2004, 09:07 PM
gosh, we shoulda started a wednesday thread... so i'll go for it. and i don't even have a finished piece to show - what a hog am i?!

i pulled this bead set out of the kiln this morning and now i'm trying to decide if i should make jewelry from it or put it in my "for sale" bin. i'm doing the bead bazaar at the annual isgb gathering in portland in august, and my inventory is embarrassing. but oh, i could see this with some iolite and pearls and tanzanite swarovski and... and... :rolleyes:

Those are beautiful. I can see why you want to keep them, I'd want to too. However, they will probably sell well, they are outstanding. Ask a premium for them and then if they don't sell you can keep them, if they do sell you've made a profit. It is a win, win situation.

Barrie, again those are georgeous, how do you make them?

Kerensamere
04-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Barrie- If those cabs dissapear
DO NOT LOOK IN PA!!!
I repeat!
DO NOT LOOK IN PA!!!
I might just have to commune with the fairies and have them bring those to me :D
They're gorgeous, I'd love to add them to some of my work too!

One of these days I've really got to take a class in dichroic cab making. Must find time though, speaking of which I'd better get back in my studio, got a big show on Saturday.

Anyone with connections with Mother Nature that can put in a good word for me please request sunshine on Saturday in Kutztown, PA.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

-Jen

beclectic
04-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Barrie- <snip>
I might just have to commune with the fairies and have them bring those to me :D
They're gorgeous, I'd love to add them to some of my work too!
<snip>
-Jen

If you ask the fairies you might get one, the rest of the stuff you get will be along the lines of newt toenails and half eaten berries. :D

lisilk
04-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Shirley, that bead is amazing. How big is that ? It almost looks like a finished pin.

Barrie- It's like looking at a magical creek bed !

This is two ends of a humming bird scarf. It's a commission and wasn't my idea of a good time. LOL.

Cheers,

Li

nicker
04-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Shirley I can totally see those with some iolite etc....YUMM!

Barrie your cabs are awsome once again. I too wish you could come to the gathering we will have to make up for the fun at that Xmas show!

Lisilk.......I so love your work.....ever do horses?

Shirley C.
04-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Shirley, that bead is amazing. How big is that ? It almost looks like a finished pin...

This is two ends of a humming bird scarf. It's a commission and wasn't my idea of a good time. LOL.

Cheers,

Li
li, it's actually a set of beads. i don't make single beads quite that big, although if someone decides to challenge me... NOT!

and maybe you didn't have a good time with that scarf, but it's really beautiful!!

barrie, your cabs are terrific - more clasps in your future? say yes - i love 'em!

nicker
04-21-2004, 09:38 PM
I Forgot my new beads series...."Sedona"

lisilk
04-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Nicker, Those are lovely. They remind me of the colors and movement in slot canyons, like itty- bitty landscapes.

Thank you Shirley and Nicker.

Nicker- I'll p.m. you some pictures of horse pieces. I have done a gaziliion but only have a few photo's. They are another popular commission. :rolleyes:

:D

Kerensamere
04-22-2004, 12:40 AM
sorry about that double post guys, thought I hit preview :rolleyes:

Barrie
04-22-2004, 01:50 AM
Nicole! the beads are gorgeous! Yes, Sedona, perfect name!! As gor the Gathering, I'm bummed about missing it, but we will certainly make up for it, I promise! LOL!

And if those cabs go missing, I promise not to look in PA! :D I'm making more this week - not sure why, just love to play with them!! There's a color I didn't take a picture of yet, want to see if I can capture the colors (dark orange and pink!), and I'm hoping I can get a few made into rings before the next show I have. (sticks & stones style, with a hot pink tourmaline! YUM!!!) - sorry, I get carried away! LOL!

As for the clasps! Yes, I'll be doing more, lots more, I have TONS of ideas - now just need more time! :) Mary & I were lamenting the lack thereof earlier today! But on a plus note, I posted that one on Ebay, so we'll see what happens with that!!

Have a great evening, can't wait to see tomorrow's show & tell!!

(just got back from teaching my Wed night class, heading to BED!!)

McDuck
04-22-2004, 03:11 AM
Shirley, that is a godawful set of beads, send them my way :p

They would sell in a heart beat at the gathering i bet you!

Barrie, way too many cabbies, you better hurry and make more clasps. I might wanna get one too! :D

Li, very beautiful as always. Certainly looks like a LOT of work!

Nicole, lovely beadies, very feminine.

As for me, kiln is running....hope to have perties tomorrow to send off. Then i look on my work bench and what do i see? One of barries beadies just sittin there being all obnoxious and not glazed and staring at me as though it had been sitting there the whole time! *growls* :mad: Kiln was so ful I almost had to add the bead collar to it. show and tell for me tomorrow. yeah!

-mary