PDA

View Full Version : OK, yet another wire question!

debkauz
04-21-2004, 02:58 PM
I am now using dead soft wire. I am having almost as much trouble with it as with 1/2 hard! It's only for different reasons! If I make scrolls and spirals (and bears, oh my) out of dead soft, can I tumble it after and have it be not quite so flexible? I am afraid that things will bend out of shape when they are worn as they are now. I used a nylon hammer before I bent it and hammered it after but it still seems pretty soft. Maybe this just isn't what my muse is telling me to do... :rolleyes:

Deb

beclectic
04-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Deb - Love your new sig. I think I'm going to use it on my yahoo account if you don't mind.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Deb~

How much did you hammer it with the mallet before you worked it? As you hammer, you can feel the wire start to harden. However, if you want to tumble your scrolls and spirals (and bears too, but you'll need a bigger tumbler. ;) ) that won't be a problem. It won't hurt them at all.

I still have a tutorial for scrolls, etc, coming, so bear with me. I'm juggling a few projects atm.

Dead soft wire takes a little getting used to...you kind of develop a feel for it. But don't give up already! Just keep working with it, and practicing with your copper. You'll get the hang of it, I promise. I wasn't so hot with it when I first started either and thought about throwing the towel in, but my mom encouraged me to keep going. I wasn't a master painter right away either. It's just something that comes with practice. I'm a perfectionist all the way, so I always believe I should be doing the very best right away. A little unrealistic, but it motivates me to keep going.

Anyhoo, enough of that ramble. The point is, I'm cheering for you! Hang in there! :clap: :clap: :clap:

~Danielle

Wire Mania
04-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Deb - What GA. wire are you using?

debkauz
04-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Deb - Love your new sig. I think I'm going to use it on my yahoo account if you don't mind.

Feel free!!! I saw it on a bumper sticker and LOVED it

thanks for all the encouraging words. I am using anything from 14-22 guage depending on what I am making. I have been playing around today somemore and I think it's going better. I have tried pounding it a bit more and that does help. I think the tumbler is the next thing to buy. I like using the dead soft for scrolls and that kind of thing. It's the first time I had a scroll turn out like I thought it should. I guess that when I tumble them that will harden them enough. Poor bears, though... :evil:

I always want to be perfect right away and I get frustrated easily when I am not. Back to the studio...And boy, am I glad that copper is so cheap! I am going to go through a lot of it. :rolleyes:

Deb

Gingerbiscuit
04-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Feel free!!! I saw it on a bumper sticker and LOVED it

I guess that when I tumble them that will harden them enough. Poor bears, though... :evil:

Deb

Then the bears will be able to work as acrobats, as they will be so good at turning somersaults!! heehee :D

DonnaBee
04-21-2004, 05:09 PM
And very sturdy bears at that!

hee

Thanks for the info Danielle. I just know I am getting closer to the day I get myself a tumbler and some steel shot...

Wire Mania
04-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Tumbling makes all the difference in the world...Not to mention that the finished piece shines like a new pair of shoes...

McDuck
04-22-2004, 10:14 AM
:mad: Does not have a tumbler yet, how unfair is THAT? :confused: Bears, hmm, poor lil bears only wanted some oatmeal and now they are tumblin!
-Mary