PDA

View Full Version : Jumping right in.....

ShellyF
04-21-2004, 01:54 PM
...and showing my very first acrylic painting :eek: . I usually use graphite and coloured pencils, but had the urge to try painting (even though it makes a bit more of a mess :rolleyes: ) I was terrified at first, but really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to try another one. Any comments and critiques are greatly welomed. All I have learned about acrylics if just from reading in this forum.

One thing I would like to know is how you frame acrylic paintings? Do you mat them? Do I need to put some kind of top coat of varnish, what does that do? I'm sure I will have tons of questions as I proceed so please bear with me :)

Oh, and this was done from one of Rod's beautiful pictures in the ref library.

ExpressiveAngie
04-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Shelly I am new to acrylics myself - I just want to say hi :) and that I love your painting ... keep it up!

minov
04-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Gor-geous! I like your painting, too.....I think the mess is part of the fun! :cool: Sorry I don't know the answers to your questions, I don't really paint acrylics....

Mindy

Margie L
04-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Lovely--poppy. What a great first try. I love the messy part of painting.

As for framing, it depends on what you have painted on. If you did it on paper, you could mat and then frame it. If you did it on stretched canvas then no mat obviously. As for varnish, if your paint surface is uneven (shiny spots and spots that are dull), you could spray it with an acrylic sealer to even out the sheen of the finished painting. I hope someone else jumps in here with a more informed answer to your questions. ;)

David46807
04-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Beautiful painting.

For information on varnishing I highly recommend taking a look at Golden's website. This link will take you straight to info on varnish:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/polvar.php

One thing that bears emphasizing: if you apply a varnish (which is a good idea), you first need to apply an isolation coat. Here's a link to information on what to use:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/varnapp1.php

ShellyF
04-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your comments! I forgot to mention that it was done on primed masonite, which was why I was asking about the framing, as it seems that it would be more difficult to mat. Thanks for the links about the varnish.

Ursus17
04-21-2004, 11:42 PM
This is SO pretty! The purples are so rich. What a great job - glad you jumped right in because this was alot of fun to see. Hope you do more!

ShellyF
04-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Thank you Ursus17 :)

Oh, and I forgot, thank you Margie for letting me know it was a poppy. :o My knowledge of flowers is minimal to none LOL! I have just always loved this ref photo.

Kerch
04-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Shelly, I really like your painting. There is lots of depth and realism, especially in the centre of the flower.

surreal
04-22-2004, 01:22 AM
...and showing my very first acrylic painting :eek: . I usually use graphite and coloured pencils, but had the urge to try painting (even though it makes a bit more of a mess :rolleyes: ) I was terrified at first, but really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to try another one. Any comments and critiques are greatly welomed. All I have learned about acrylics if just from reading in this forum.

One thing I would like to know is how you frame acrylic paintings? Do you mat them? Do I need to put some kind of top coat of varnish, what does that do? I'm sure I will have tons of questions as I proceed so please bear with me :)

Oh, and this was done from one of Rod's beautiful pictures in the ref library.
It's a beauty, Shelly!

ShellyF
04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Thank you Brian and Nina :)

Lady Carol
04-22-2004, 02:03 PM
How did I miss this one?

Fab first :clap: :clap: :clap:
My only suggestion would be to highlight the pollen in the centre a little more with cad lemon. Just a touch should make this zing.

ShellyF
04-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Thank you so much for your advice Carol! It is so much what I need, because I am in completely unchartered territory here!

artistodon
04-23-2004, 12:48 AM
Shelly,
My two mediums of choice are graphite drawing and acrylics. For some reason, at least to me the two go naturally together, if that makes any sense to anyone but me. If it is true, maybe that is why you were able to do such a wonder job on this poppy. I love it.
Don :)

Gillette
04-23-2004, 04:49 AM
Hi Shelly
Your flower is terrific,it's made me want to try something similar, I must stop being so one-eyed about sea,rock and land scapes!
I grow those in my garden and call them anenomes,but it may be a northern hemisphere poppy.
I paint in acrylics, and if on masonite or MDF (particle) board, I usually varnish with a satin finish, on stretched canvas, or canvas board, I mainly use a matt spray varnish, it's a personal choice, I saw some paintings recently of large flowers and they were thickly varnished with gloss and showed the brush strokes, they looked pretty impressive too. My framer advises no mat with acrylics and the only time I used one I didn't like it. I don't frame box stretched canvas, and canvas boards can be left too. Remember to paint the edges.With the thick box edges it looks good if the painting is continued around the edge, but I often paint mine all the same in a harmonising colour.
Hope these suggestions give you some help. Jane.

ShellyF
04-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Thank you Don :) I don't know if there is a connection or not between graphite and acrylic, but I sure hope so, so that my future paintings won't be flops LOL! Actually I have spent the last 3 or 4 years doing many graphite drawings, and I think that has helped me tremendously with learning values, which I hope will make the transition over to painting a little easier **crossing my fingers** :)

Jane, thank you so much for all that info. I know what you mean about having a certain tunnel vision and only doing a certain kind of art. I focused so much on drawing people, that I really had to force myself to give something else a try... and it turns out that I enjoy doing other things once in a while :)