PDA

View Full Version : another idea for those stubby rod ends

double S
04-21-2004, 11:58 AM
I saw Teri P. 's S&T this morning with her "kitchen sink" beads using stringers. So I thought I'd try something similar using those subby rod ends. I started with a single small swipe of ivory and then heated one stubby rod end until molten. Then I attached it the the ivory and left it dangling from the mandrel. Then used the heat of the torch and gravity to slowing wind the glass all the way around the bead. Added a piece of stringer and then just melt, melt melt. They range in size from just over an inch to 2 inches. The blue one on the end has a little dot of stringer that ended up hanging off the end. This was the round part at the end of the stringer that is created by pulling with pliers. Somehow it found it's way to the bottom when I squished and ended up as a small bead of glass. These are the largest beads I have made on my HH and it was fun to use up some of my stubby bits.
thanks
Lisa S
When a hippopotamus is peevish its a lot of peeve. Archie Goodwin

Orca
04-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Those are very cool looking beads!

jessicah
04-21-2004, 02:08 PM
What a great way to use up those stubbies. :clap: :clap:

Teri.p
04-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Lisa, those are wonderful!!! Isn't is neat the way the 'chain of inspiration' runs? I originally got the idea from some end-of-day beads posted on WC! last summer. I had saved up so many tiny bits of stringer ends by then that I thought it was a marvelous idea. And yes..... when I was a quilter, I saved all but the tiniest pieces of fabric - and I mean tiny!

Teri

Spider Woman
04-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Wow! Those are great! :clap: