PDA

View Full Version : What else besides a T-Shirt?

Cyndi L
04-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Since I'm not quite ready to start my next big neckpiece, I thought I'd fool around with my other obsession yesterday ~ paper. Now, I know that you can turn any 2D work into a t-shirt, but what else can you do with stuff like this that would be a wearable? I've got enough scarves and t-shirts to last forever :)

http://www.why-not-art.com/birches-lg.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions!

diane555
04-21-2004, 07:30 AM
How about a cool handbag?
Make something really wild that makes people say "where'd you find that?" or to themselves "where'd she get that?" :D

Di

SuzyQ
04-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Transfer onto tiles for bracelets, earrings, belts or necklaces. Lazertran and t-shirt transfer paper are two ways.

NewCreation
04-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Here is a thread showing my paper beads

paper bead necklace (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179352&highlight=paper+beads)

Cyndi L
04-21-2004, 09:24 AM
A handbag or tile transfers are wonderful ideas! In fact, what about a transfer to one of those cigar box purses? Hummmm...

Amy, the paper beads are beautiful! I'm sure not going to use my collaged and digital pieces to make them, but maybe some of my scraps :)

artbabe21
04-21-2004, 10:17 AM
How about a cool handbag?

On this same idea I have wanted to make a simple tote...4 sides, bottom & open top using paper collaged or a single piece like you have shown Cyndi, & sandwich it between that thinish clear vinyl (fabric store on rolls) then stitch the edges with a zig zag stitch & it's very cool looking....saw one at an art supply store & they wanted $45 for it, so it was one of those I can do this....but sadly haven't YET! :)

NewCreation
04-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Cindy,
I have a gorgeous paper bead necklace made from an older oil pastel of mine. Never say Never!

Cyndi L
04-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Cindy,
I have a gorgeous paper bead necklace made from an older oil pastel of mine. Never say Never!

Oh, I didn't say "never", Amy...I said NOT!!! LOL!

I'll bet it's gorgeous :)

Cyndi L
04-21-2004, 04:04 PM
& sandwich it between that thinish clear vinyl (fabric store on rolls) then stitch the edges with a zig zag stitch & it's very cool looking

What a fantastic idea! It would fit great on a tote bag, or something shaped like that. Next time I go over to Joanne's Fabric, I'm going to look for the clear vinyl and see what all I can come up with. I'll be they sell reay-made totes just about everywhere...Michael's, etc.

Thanks!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-21-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm currently making an art purse with collaged images, images printed onto fabric, embellishments, etc...

If you check out the show and tell thread from yesterday, you can see the front panel that was in progress.

I'll be posting the finished back panel in a little bit.

~Danielle

lisilk
04-21-2004, 04:17 PM
First, I love your painting, great colors. I too think this would look great on a handbag or cigar box purse. Be sure to show us what you come up with.

Li

artbabe21
04-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm currently making an art purse with collaged images, images printed onto fabric, embellishments, etc...

Danielle....I'd love to see what you're doing...I was just at the other thread & your pics were red X's.....so I was very curious as I love doing this sort of thing.

Cyndi, what you have said is a good idea, but what I am going to do is make a whole tote out of the vinyl collaged papers...:) Just a simple one

beclectic
04-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Danielle....I'd love to see what you're doing...I was just at the other thread & your pics were red X's.....so I was very curious as I love doing this sort of thing.

Cyndi, what you have said is a good idea, but what I am going to do is make a whole tote out of the vinyl collaged papers...:) Just a simple one

Try right clicking the red Xs and choose 'Show Picture' sometimes that works. I can see the pictures fine, I wonder why you can't. Sometimes I get those red Xs and can't seem to figure out how to get the picture to show.

I was thinking if you used collaged fabric and stuff glued on, as long as it wasn't too lumpy, what about using that clear vinyl shelf paper with glue on one side to sort of laminate it so it would be waterproof and there wouldn't be air space between like you would have with vinyl from a fabric store. Or did I misunderstand and you are going to do the collage on the vinyl fabric?

artbabe21
04-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I was thinking if you used collaged fabric and stuff glued on, as long as it wasn't too lumpy, what about using that clear vinyl shelf paper with glue on one side to sort of laminate it so it would be waterproof and there wouldn't be air space between like you would have with vinyl from a fabric store. Or did I misunderstand and you are going to do the collage on the vinyl fabric?

Thanks Barbara...I'll give that a try, I've never had this problem ever... :confused:

Clear shelf paper might work, have never looked at it....no not collage on the vinyl, just sandwich the collage between the vinyl....then sew the sides so you have to leave extra paper on the edges of the collage...:)

beclectic
04-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks Barbara...I'll give that a try, I've never had this problem ever... :confused:

Clear shelf paper might work, have never looked at it....no not collage on the vinyl, just sandwich the collage between the vinyl....then sew the sides so you have to leave extra paper on the edges of the collage...:)

I'm confused - what problem? - I was just suggesting an alternative to sewing the paper to the vinyl.

The shelf paper isn't really paper it is actually vinyl just like the fabric but very sticky on one side. School teachers use it to laminate displays for the classroom if the school doesn't have a laminating machine. If you have access to a laminating machine and your project can stand heat that would probably work too. The only problem I can think of is it would flatten out any parts that were very raised.

artbabe21
04-21-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm confused - what problem? - I was just suggesting an alternative to sewing the paper to the vinyl.

Oh.....oops, sorry. You misunderstood me because I'm always in such a hurry & I always know what I mean...LOL...the problem was about the first part, the red X's...:)

beclectic
04-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Oh.....oops, sorry. You misunderstood me because I'm always in such a hurry & I always know what I mean...LOL...the problem was about the first part, the red X's...:)

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that part of the post. I thought I'd fallen through the looking glass and would see a white rabbit any minute. All's well that ends well. :D Now where did that rabbit go?

Kerensamere
04-21-2004, 08:59 PM
How about putting your image on the back of a denim jacket?

I used to marble textiles (scarves, etc.) and I had a square silk scarf that had an "oops" on one corner so I started laying it on the back panel of my old white jean jacket. I just folded the parts under that didn't fit onto the panel, then hand stitched it with a basic whip stitch to the jacket. It lasted for years, people always asked me about it and I eventually made a couple of marbled cotton pieces and stitched them onto the backs of some blue denim jackets. The people who bought them loved them.

Regarding the tote bags, purses. I saw an artist at the Baltimore, MD American Crafts Council show that made small evening bags by layering beautiful materials under a fabric mesh, it was like a black fabric screen. She did a lot of lovely bead work, quilting and emblishments on her bags but maybe the idea of layering an open mesh, fabric screen or even a see through gauzey material could provide an interesting affect? Sometimes combining things that don't normally go together results in some really cool pieces!

Best of luck, please share your final results!