PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Shore

Kitty Wallis
04-20-2004, 08:04 PM
I stood by the edge of the ocean and photographed the moving water. This is one of 3 that I did from the same series of photos. The rocks are less than 2' in length.

It's 30"x40" on ..........Wallis, with an air brush arcylic underpainting. I did a lot of airbrush underpainting a few years ago.

Deborah Secor
04-20-2004, 08:18 PM
It looks far grander in scale, Kitty. Wonderful colors! I miss the ocean sometimes--especially when I see something like this. Beautiful.

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
04-20-2004, 08:22 PM
I thought you said you couldn't do rocks?

GREAT catch- terrific, rich work.

Kitty Wallis
04-20-2004, 08:28 PM
I thought you said you couldn't do rocks?

GREAT catch- terrific, rich work.

I can if they are dripping wet, small and the water provides enuf contrast essence-wise. It's those big, dry cliffs like in Sedona and Santa Fe I can't do.

Dyin
04-20-2004, 08:56 PM
really nice wet rocks....hey, Kitty if you want some 2 hour practice then check out the May 1 WDE I'm hosting...just might be some inspiration for those red rocks there! Sure wish I could see this full size...I have no room to do anything over 18x24...but someday!

Kathryn Wilson
04-20-2004, 10:03 PM
This is absolutely gorgeous Kitty - the movement, the color -

Would love to see the others in the series!

MKathleen
04-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Hi Kitty, this is one beautiful seascape I love the transluent quality of the water and it's movement. Lovely!

Mikki Petersen
04-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Kitty, this is quite impressive. My first thought is "who cares about the rocks?" ;) The water is so fascinating the way it swirls and holds so many colors...I can almost smell the ocean! This should be quite an intriguing series if this one is an example.

K Taylor-Green
04-20-2004, 10:33 PM
WOW! I love the colors on this. I just don't do this kind of thing well, seascapes and landscapes. So I just keep doing what I do. But when I see something like this, it makes me want to take the time to stretch myself more. Kate

Khadres
04-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Awesome! Gorgeous! Amazing! Insert another dozen superlatives here! LOVE the colors....mannnnnnnnnnnn....beautiful!

So you airbrushed the underpaintings in those days? Why'd you change methods? Just quicker and easier?

(I'm eyeing my first monster roll of Wallis as it lurks by the front door waiting for an invite downstairs to the "studio"...it's very....ummm...big! :D)

As a matter of fact...that brings up something else I wanted to ask...what do you use to support your paper when you work that large? And what supports it into the frame? Have never dealt with anything that size; biggest canvas I ever painted in oils was 3X4' and I thought that was HUGE.

Pinecone Conniff
04-20-2004, 11:38 PM
This painting is fabulous!...
Your art & your paper are two of the best things to ever happen to this medium of pastels we all enjoy so much!
Very inspiring...I would love to see it in real life!
Annette

Kathryn Day
04-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Kitty, I love the colors!!!! Beautiful painting. :clap:

Kitty Wallis
04-21-2004, 01:03 AM
What's a WDE?

really nice wet rocks....hey, Kitty if you want some 2 hour practice then check out the May 1 WDE I'm hosting...just might be some inspiration for those red rocks there! Sure wish I could see this full size...I have no room to do anything over 18x24...but someday!

SweetBabyJ
04-21-2004, 01:13 AM
Weekend Drawing Event- held every Saturday (usually) about 1-ish PST. 15 to 20 pics, on some theme, go up, and you have two hours to paint and upload your work. It's a great creativity grabfest- here's the invite from last weekend's http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182021

You can view the various entries in the Events Forum.

Give 'er a go!

Kitty Wallis
04-21-2004, 01:18 AM
So you airbrushed the underpaintings in those days? Why'd you change methods? Just quicker and easier?

(I'm eyeing my first monster roll of Wallis as it lurks by the front door waiting for an invite downstairs to the "studio"...it's very....ummm...big! :D)

As a matter of fact...that brings up something else I wanted to ask...what do you use to support your paper when you work that large? And what supports it into the frame? Have never dealt with anything that size; biggest canvas I ever painted in oils was 3X4' and I thought that was HUGE.

Sooz, See the Swan thread for the description of my easel. 3'x4' is pretty big.

I did airbush the underpainting. I stopped for three reasons. Some people told me aribrush wasn't considered really fine art. I found Createx and found I love the stucture brushtrokes give to the developing composition and movement of the painting. Airbrushing filled the studio with airborn droplets of paint, fouling everything up, including my lungs, I thought.

Two fun results of airbrushing:
I used a paper frisket. I lightly sprayed adhesive on newsprint paper and stuck it to my sandpaper. (At the time I was making the sandpaper myself and it had extra grit on the surface that protected it from the glue.) Then I drew the subject on the paper with charcoal and cut away the frisket in all the darker places, without cutting the sandpaper. I airbrushed in those places the colors I saw, then cut away the frisket from the next darker places and so on.

The second fun thing: I could achieve very subtle gradations, passages of color that were almost impossible to follow with pastel. I'd be working on an amethyst passage that had an almost infinite number of values from dark to light and looking at a set of purples that had only 10 values. I had to bring in other colors to have a better shot at not destroying the value subtelty. Very Challenging. I was reminded of the values I didn't have all the time.

Kitty Wallis
04-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Sounds like fun, I'll have to have another lesson about uploading from the camera.

We are going to the Portrait Society convention in Boston April 29 thru May 2. I'll be doing the portrait demos in the booth, so we have a lot of preparation to do this next week. And I'll be visiting in Cape Cod until Mid-May, then coming home to teach a color intensive. Hmmmm I'll be pretty busy starting..Now. I told you all this so you would know I won't be doing the WDE for a while. I want to do it after May 20th.

I just went to look at the results of the May 17 WDE, thanks for intrducing me to it.

Weekend Drawing Event- held every Saturday (usually) about 1-ish PST. 15 to 20 pics, on some theme, go up, and you have two hours to paint and upload your work. It's a great creativity grabfest- here's the invite from last weekend's http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182021

You can view the various entries in the Events Forum.

Give 'er a go!

E-J
04-21-2004, 04:17 AM
This just sparkles! Would love to see you do a water demo for us sometime, Kitty, if you can ever find the time in what sounds like a mad schedule.

I have just ordered some of your lovely paper from Dakota Art. It's coming to the UK with a friend, though, so I'll have to be patient as I won't get to touch it till July ...

Khadres
04-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Sooz, See the Swan thread for the description of my easel. 3'x4' is pretty big.
Well, I only did one that big ONCE! :D Made me a tidy sum at the time, but I remember it being a bit of a pain since, at the time, I had to do my painting in the kitchen!

I did airbush the underpainting. I stopped for three reasons. Some people told me aribrush wasn't considered really fine art.
People make me tired with their judgements of what's art and what's not. Why would airbrush be any different from a regular brush?
I'd be working on an amethyst passage that had an almost infinite number of values from dark to light and looking at a set of purples that had only 10 values. I had to bring in other colors to have a better shot at not destroying the value subtelty. Very Challenging. I was reminded of the values I didn't have all the time.
Sounds like a fun process, but I know what you mean about missing values! I think Roche pastels are about the only ones available that have even TEN values of a color! Most of the other have only six, at best! No wonder you decided to make your own!

rafi
04-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Some people told me aribrush wasn't considered really fine art.

A bit off-topic but there's a guy called gaz on the still life forum (I think) who does these paintings using an airbrush that are not the photo-realistic airbrush stereotype by any stretch of the imagination. He has been totally disillusioned by all these people who look down on airbrush art after trying unsuccessfully to market it. His stuff is really good, but just mention the word "airbrush" and everybody turns up their noses and turns their backs. Sad.

Maryeve
04-21-2004, 12:07 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I LOVE this one!

binkie
04-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Oh Kitty, your painting of the water is just incredible!!!! It is so intricate. I love it! I love it! I love it!

Do you ever do a workshop on painting water?

binkie

bnoonan
04-21-2004, 03:30 PM
I want to paint like this when I grow up.

Oh wait - I'm never going to grow up - I decided on that 5 years ago.

Ok... I want to paint like this some day!

Kitty it's gorgeous and I can feel myself leaning over looking at the rocks and hear the surf. Your color selection is fabulous - that odd greenish color just works beautifully here.

I'm in awe and wish I could be in your bags as you travel to Cape Cod. Wave at my brothers, Mom and the rest of the family as you go by. Oh and if you visit Jane Lincoln's studio, I'm going to be very very jealous.

Barb

Kitty Wallis
04-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Oh Kitty, your painting of the water is just incredible!!!! It is so intricate. I love it! I love it! I love it!
Do you ever do a workshop on painting water? binkie

My first workshop on painting water is scheduled for Sept 17,18,19,20 here in Portland, it costs $260. for the 4 days, including a plein air day. I use the first day for studying color, especially how to see the color in water. The second and third days for painting, One painting a day. The 4th day for making your own pastels. I provide my paper and the Moist pastels, included in the fee. You bring your own pastels, and go home with at least 40 more, colors mixed in class, some that you never saw before.

I will do the same workshop in 2005 in North Carolina but it will cost a couple hundred more for my expenses, etc.

SweetBabyJ
04-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Substantial discount for possible relatives (I can whip up a family tree in no time!) who are poor but can drive there in about two hours???? I'll bring those little crab quiche thingies.

How about I make a coupon in PSP?

No?

Didn't think so- ah well- I'll just struggle through watching and soaking it up like an elderly sponge.

Kitty Wallis
04-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Substantial discount for possible relatives (I can whip up a family tree in no time!) who are poor but can drive there in about two hours???? I'll bring those little crab quiche thingies.
How about I make a coupon in PSP?
No?
Didn't think so- ah well- I'll just struggle through watching and soaking it up like an elderly sponge.

40 custom mixed pastels, shall we say worth 4$ each=$160, a coupla sheets of my paper you can take home and wash off if you don't like your work, maybe $32.00, getting to browse thru my warehouse and pick out seconds, $??? I'm practically paying you to take this thing.

Don't forget the crab thingies.

SweetBabyJ
04-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Hahahaha!! Want spinach in yours, too?

Truly, I'd love to, but I'll have to wait to see how things here shape up- hmmmm... what is there for non-artistic, pretty much grumpy men to do in Portland by themselves for three days?

Kitty Wallis
04-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Hahahaha!! Want spinach in yours, too?

Truly, I'd love to, but I'll have to wait to see how things here shape up- hmmmm... what is there for non-artistic, pretty much grumpy men to do in Portland by themselves for three days?

I have no idea. I'll ask around if you mean it. Does he have any interests?