PDA

View Full Version : M'Kinder's Hubris: Failure

teszeract
04-20-2004, 08:24 PM

Hi all

This is a practice piece. Probably the most time I have ever spent on a digital painting Ė what do you know, it makes a difference to spend some time on it! :) I decided to paint along a theme, so I donít get stuck for a subject. This is the second Ė the first was not worth showing.
Following is a series of screenies showing progress of the piece. It is entitled MíKinderís Hubris: Failure. The first sketch was just using an oil brush with black paint.

teszeract
04-20-2004, 08:33 PM
2. I have adjusted the anatomy more to my liking. The anatomy was not supposed be important here, I just wanted to practice the painting part - actually, I wanted to find a drawing more in the style of Egon Schiele, but maybe next time! The ref pic is also attached.

teszeract
04-20-2004, 08:34 PM
3. The reference pic was from the figure drawing forum. But I could not find it again when I wanted to see which project it belonged to Ė Iíll just have to ask over there! I have started with the laying down of colour Ė lots of experimentation here trying to find out how Painter 8 works. I changed the background to a brighter red to better see what I was doing. It is only a working background.

Jet
04-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Eggcelent !!

a small fix on...just a little large the hand behind..

Keeep it up !!

teszeract
04-20-2004, 08:35 PM
4. More painting going on Ė I disagree with the comments of trad painters who say that digital is easier Ė you have so much more control with a brush and paint than a tablet and stylus ó or maybe itís just me needing practice! :)

teszeract
04-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks Jet. You're too fast. That hand has been bothering me too...

5. I have laid down most of the colour on MíKinder Ė Iíll revisit it while working on the background.

teszeract
04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
6. I have chosen an inferno to background the painting. Not too happy with the composition. Iíve already widened the canvas so that the figure is not sitting in a square. The dimensions are 2000w x 1500h.

teszeract
04-20-2004, 08:41 PM
7. Iím stopping at this stage for now Ė more ideas are clamouring for attention. The story is of a man called MíKinder, who begins his journey of tragedy with the theft of a book of secret knowledge from a powerful mage. This painting lies somewhere after the middle of his story. His hubris brought him here after he created enormous wealth for himself, through deceit, his skills, and knowledge that he had no right possessing. He did not realise that the forces that he was manipulating were greater than himself Ė and now he sees all that he has created in cataclysm.

I learned a lot in attempting this painting. I still have a long long long way to go before I can produce what is in my head, but hopefully my journey will have a better ending than poor old MíKinderís.

wilderness
04-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Very interesting end painting in the sequence.

I like it.

One of the challenges of this type of composition is getting the foreground to show the impact of the background light source (but of course I don't know what your vision was here, so I'm assuming that you'd want them consistent light-wise. Could be a bad assumption!). I agree that some digital artistry, like this, is just as challenging in many ways as traditional media.

wild

teszeract
04-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey Wilderness

Exactly the problem that I was considering whether to tackle or not - eventually I decided to learn just a few things at time, and that was a big one. I think that my own impatience to "get there" is my consistent failing. But as I said, this is the longest I have ever spent on something like this (bar my college graphic design projects), and hopefully I will learn how to tie together false lighting and a real reference. Thanks for viewing.

flowerfancy58
04-21-2004, 01:09 AM
Very very nice work!!!

gloria:)

themanda
04-21-2004, 11:59 AM
i like this very, very much. i love to wip's, but i also like the evolution of the piece and the description you gave of the series. i'd be very interested in seeing the other companion pieces. have you done them traditionally or digitally?

pstewart
04-21-2004, 05:40 PM
This is really excellent! Digital art proceeds just like canvas art, I guess, from outlines on to the finished piece. Guess if you are already familiar with painting, digital art comes rather easy. Not a painter myself, but I would think brushes are easier...reach and dip and dab seems quicker than "open color chooser and go through the brush menu" etc.

Whether digital or paint/canvas, you artist folks just amaze me!!!

Phyllis
http://www.innographx.com/forum
http://www.pbase.com/pstewart