PDA

View Full Version : clasp idea for my under the deep blue sea thingy

TheBlueBetween
04-20-2004, 07:13 PM
I have to add a clasp of some sort to my under the deep blue sea necklace, which if you haven't been following is not your typical necklace - it's a freeform peyote embelished humoungus thing of a necklace... and I was thinking for the closure of it, since it's more like a piece of flowing glass fabric, to sew on some sort of hook and eye thingies that I might find in a sewing store - maybe two of them because it's heavy...

do you think that would be acceptable for a piece like this? Originally I planned on it being longer and was going to add a chain and hook, but now that it's almost done, I want it more like a choker, except I can't take beads off without ruining the whole thing.

So I want the two ends to kind of overlap a little and snap/hook together...

what do you think? am I even making sense?

Any other options anyone can think of?

Thanks!
:) Pam

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Pam~

I think the hook and eye sounds fine. That would make it a truly "wearable" piece rather than a conventional style necklace.

But I bet someone will come up with some other clever ideas...I'm at a loss atm, since I'm out of jewelry mode and into handbag mode. LOL.

Good luck though!

~D.

Shirley C.
04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
what about a loop on one end (beaded like the rest of the piece) and a button sewn onto the other end? does this make any sense?

TheBlueBetween
04-20-2004, 08:23 PM
what about a loop on one end (beaded like the rest of the piece) and a button sewn onto the other end? does this make any sense?

Yeah, that makes total sense, but I want to shorten it not make it longer....

TheBlueBetween
04-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Pam~

I think the hook and eye sounds fine. That would make it a truly "wearable" piece rather than a conventional style necklace.

But I bet someone will come up with some other clever ideas...I'm at a loss atm, since I'm out of jewelry mode and into handbag mode. LOL.

Good luck though!

~D.

Thanks Danielle - I'm thinking it might be ok because the hook/eye would not be up against skin - it's more like it was a collar - so no worries about the metal turning or anything... right? Plus maybe they are stainless steel so no worries about that at all? I don't know, it's been a long long time since I went to the sewing store. I should call my grandmother - she would know. Plus it would make her happy.... will go call her now :)

TheBlueBetween
04-20-2004, 08:44 PM
ah no... if only we didn't live 3000 miles away. She needs to "see it" and would need to look at her things and see. She's so funny.

sassybird
04-20-2004, 09:02 PM
You can get hooks and eyes in nearly every color now. I have several that I use with different things that blend in very well. If the piece is really heavy I would use two of them though.

TheBlueBetween
04-20-2004, 09:45 PM
You can get hooks and eyes in nearly every color now. I have several that I use with different things that blend in very well. If the piece is really heavy I would use two of them though.

Oh? I guess I just have to get my butt down to a sewing store and talk to someone there about durability and strength then... I think this is probably the best solution given the fact I want it shorter rather than longer.

Shirley C.
04-21-2004, 01:21 AM
Yeah, that makes total sense, but I want to shorten it not make it longer....
well, duh! shirley... guess i was guilty of something that puts me off when others do it - or don't do it, in this case... (RTFM!) :rolleyes: :D

Gingerbiscuit
04-21-2004, 05:38 AM

Just a thought, if your necklace is heavy. How about a couple of small magnetic clasps, but attach them as the fasteners you describe. You can get small ones that are quite flat and VERY strong. This may be a stronger solution if you work is heavy.

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

Lynne :)

Archer
04-21-2004, 08:06 AM
You could try the clear plastic snaps. They are flat and are easily sewn onto peyote. Come in various sizes and virtually disappear in the work.

Maryanne in PA

TheBlueBetween
04-21-2004, 09:30 AM

Just a thought, if your necklace is heavy. How about a couple of small magnetic clasps, but attach them as the fasteners you describe. You can get small ones that are quite flat and VERY strong. This may be a stronger solution if you work is heavy.

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

OH! I have a couple of samples of those around here somewhere! Thanks!

TheBlueBetween
04-21-2004, 09:31 AM
You could try the clear plastic snaps. They are flat and are easily sewn onto peyote. Come in various sizes and virtually disappear in the work.

Maryanne in PA

Excellent thank you Maryanne! I need to get to the sewing store this morning to see about those and the colored ones that might match... and try the magnetic things and see if they cut it too...

I'm so glad for all the new ideas this morning! Thanks!

Gingerbiscuit
04-21-2004, 09:41 AM
I think one big plus point about the magnetic clasps is they are so easy to fasten. Get the 2 halves within an inch of each other, and then they fasten all by themselves. Makes putting on jewellery very easy.