PDA

View Full Version : Do Silver Working & Pregnancy Mix !?!?

UniquElements
04-20-2004, 06:10 PM
This is a question that has been on my mind for years! I have finally come to a place in my life that I am ready to start a family and at the same time seriously considering a silver working apprenticeship.

I have always been a little leery of the chemicals involved in the silver working process, but can not say that the epoxy and masonry sealer I currently use in creating my jewelry displays are necessarily non-toxic either!!!

Would welcome any comments on the subject.

Thanks, Barb

flynfire
04-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Barb, I don't have personal experience but I have a source. After a craftsreport.com article in 1997, Ganoskin readers had an extensive thread on pregnancy precautions. You can do a search of their archives at www.ganoksin.com and read lots of thoughts on the subject.

I think if you are very safety conscious, wear gloves and a respirator and are selective about what chemicals you use (some are safer than others) and maybe even limit yourself to fabrication, you should be able to do it. I'm no doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Your doctor may have his/her own ideas.

Barrie
04-20-2004, 07:17 PM
I guess it would depend on the conditions you're working under. You would have to ensure very good ventillation. Personally, I would use gloves when working with chemicals like liver of supher, etc. Pickle, again, good ventillation. Have you tried searching Orchid - www.ganoksin.com? I just did a quick search for "during pregnancy", but if you have time, check under different search words. Recommended in one of the articles is the book, "Artist Beware" by Michael McCann, Ph.D. C.I.H. Might not hurt to check that. Do remember though, that if you become pregnant, you may not feel well enough to work, and will certainly have to take some time off when baby comes, so if you're working ofr someone, you might want to forwarn them.

Good luck!
Barrie

firstin
04-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi Barb,
I am a retired paramedic. I have had more than a passing interest in safely working with hot glass. I had a heart transplant 4 years ago. It leaves you on a lot of medications, most with nasty side effects. Transplant docs tend to make sure we don't take up a new job, hobbie, etc. that will harm us. Many environmental pollution issues abound.
Vince, who is a true gem on the ISGB has posted regarding respiratory safety. It is sad but true that most aerosol compounds can be almost instantly absorbed through the lungs. I think you have good advice on the silver angle from the two responses on WC. If it is in your heart to pursue art and a baby just take precautions. It sounds like you should be concidering using a respirator already. Most schools now realize that safety is their responsibility. They need to be the advocate in safety. To that end Vince lists a half or full face supplied air respirator. It could make a big difference in your quality of life.
God bless you and yours. :clap: You will find this in The Reference Library. Tools and Equipment.

UniquElements
04-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I appreciate all of your leads to sources of information and protective wear! I'm ordering a ventilation mask immediately for my current work and will do some more serious consideration of future silver work.

You are all god sends! :clap:

ringslingin
04-21-2004, 09:35 PM
While lots of us who work with silver usually know the deal, I would highly reccomend that you speak to your OB/GYN at length about this. Maybe make a list of all of the chemicals, metals, etc. that you will be working with and also explain the kind of enviroment you'll be working in.

That's just what I would do :)

Best of luck to you!!!

Denise