PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday, 04/20 Show & Share!

Barrie
04-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Hey you guys!! Where's the eye candy?!? You don't think I keep coming back here for the chit chat? :evil: Okay, busted, I do so come for the chit chat - but eye candy is awesome too!!

Here's a new clasp idea I had, called a puzzle clasp, the two pieces fit together, and believe me they don't come undone - now to just find this thing a home! LOL! I wonder if I could get away with putting it on Ebay? Anyway, I made it for a findings class I taught, and it's still sitting here collecting dust, so I slapped a dichroic cabochon in it, and voila!! What do you think?!?

Gingerbiscuit
04-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Very very classy. I love your idea.

Lynne :)

MadameKali
04-20-2004, 05:30 PM
ooh, if the stone were a different colour, I think I'd offer to buy it ;) I am envious that you know how to make findings!! gahh, I have SO much to learn. (My next big project to tackle is going to be learning to sew. I will be a self-sufficient woman before long!!)

I will have a show and tell soon, I am finishing a bracelet today, whee!

Shirley C.
04-20-2004, 06:19 PM
barrie, i really like the clasp. hmmm... looks like it would fit into the deep blue sea project. :D

the only things i've finished lately are eyeglass leashes. and believe me, they are VERY basic - using up some of my bead stash.

i have put together some materials for a necklace, but i'm not exactly sure how i'm going to incorporate the ribbon and fiber. here's a picture of what i'm working on...

flynfire
04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
What a great way to dress up any chain or cord! I'd wear it by itself! How big is that? I like the offset circles the design creates when connected. Tension keeps the little flat strip thingy on the back of the catch to the notched (granulated?) disk thingy? Sorry about using all that technical jargon.

flynfire
04-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Shirley, I missed your necklace. I like the colors and I like the way you've laid out the fiber. Are those stone beads or glass?

Barrie
04-20-2004, 07:03 PM
What a great way to dress up any chain or cord! I'd wear it by itself! How big is that? I like the offset circles the design creates when connected. Tension keeps the little flat strip thingy on the back of the catch to the notched (granulated?) disk thingy? Sorry about using all that technical jargon.

The notched 'roller textured' disk thingy is about the size of a quarter (I can be technical too! :D ) And the stone 'just' fits the circle, and then tension takes care of the rest.

Thank you, Lynne!

MadameKali, I can always change the color of the stone! :evil: I have the technology! And the stones! LOL! Originally it was supposed to be malachite, then lace amethyst, then couldn't find them when I set the stone, so I stuck in a dichroic cab (I have tons).

Shirley, I love that combination, so pretty!! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Ok, so here's what I've been up to the last two days...I mentioned in a few other posts that I'm working on some art purses atm....so here's a pic of the one I'm doing right now.

The name is still formulating in my brain as I put it together ( I have to really get the feel of it as I make it to get the right title...) but here's a pic of the front panel of the purse.

It's a sheet of watercolored Tvvek (Thanks SuzyQ for the lead!) which is then lined with a cotton print. It's embellished with stamps and embossing powder, images transferred onto fabric, some sketching by moi, an antique key, some grosgrain ribbon, and handmade papers.

The second pic is of the pocket...keep in mind I haven't done any of my stitching yet. It's still piecemeal as I glue bits and parts on and get all the major stuff there to do the sewing.

Third pic is just a view of the right side of the panel.

Let me know what you think! :D

~D.

Shirley C.
04-20-2004, 08:13 PM
...Are those stone beads or glass?
here's a little "explanation"...

the stones are pietersite. i really like the colors in these elements, but they don't show up well in the picture. the larger pearls are a sort of dusky coppery light burgundy, and the smaller ones are darker burgundy.

McDuck
04-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Barrie I love that! Just send it on over here...I will gladly give it a good new home :p

Shirley, I really like that almost necklace! Just what I was looking for for my beadies ;)

Oh Danielle, you multi talented lady - you! Like the almost purse too!

-Mary...errrr...McDuck...nothing to show but a kiln full, and I mean full of beads.

Shirley C.
04-20-2004, 08:21 PM
danielle... i LOVE LOVE LOVE what you've done with this piece so far!

!Karen
04-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Just beautiful pieces everyone. That watercolored tyvek is really interesting!
The necklace is beautiful and I love the choice of material you used.

Man, one of my wishes is to be able to take a class from Barrie. That clasp is just beautiful! If you put it on eBay, let me know!! I wuv it :p

Nice work everyone,

:)Karen

SuzyQ
04-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Barrie - Wonderful! Did you know that the manhole cover was designed round because it can't fall in on itself? You are the clever one.

Shirley - Love the combination of materials. That reminds me, I am getting glasses and have to create some leashes myself....

Danielle - Gorgeous collages! I'm partial to the freespirit. Did you melt the tyvek at all? If you did I would really like to know what happened to the watercolor paint. I want to try!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Mary, Shirley, Karen, Suzy, thank you all for the positive feedback! Glad to know I'm not totally out in left field on this one.

Suze, I experimented with the Tyvek last night in the garage (at 2 am in the morning..I just couldn't wait until today...LOL)...I watercolored it first, dried in with the heating tool, and then shriveled and shrinked it all up. It made the paint a bit darker, but other than that, it didn't affect the painting at all...just the usual damage to the Tyvek. Quite an interesting medium. It's been great to work with so far with the purse. It didn't even mind the iron on a low setting when I was fusing the inside cotton panel to it...

I now have the front pocket there stitched on with embroidery floss and 'e' beads...whew...but it's midnight and I better get to bed before my little one wakes up! I'll get more photos for tomorrow of what I've accomplished.

~Danielle, the always thinking of new projects to work on crazy lady... ;)

MadameKali
04-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Barrie... if you want to PM me and tell me how much... :D

Although, you'd probably get a better price on ebay... and I can't really afford to outbid anybody! :\ I love it, though. It would be wonderful on maybe a flat maille bracelet.. it is definitely lovely enough to be a centerpiece itself.

Gingerbiscuit
04-21-2004, 05:48 AM
Danielle, I love your Tyvek. Fabulous colours. Great composition.

lisilk
04-21-2004, 05:58 AM
As usual, the work in this forum is suberb !
I am a tad under the weather right now but am enjoying all of your talents . :clap:

Li

Gingerbiscuit
04-21-2004, 06:04 AM
I hope you feel better very soon Li! Take good care of yourself.

MadameKali
04-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Growls, I hate internet explorer. I lost the first post because I clicked out of the box and then hit delete :\

SO, I know it is a day later, but I am posting my show and share in this thread because I made this yesterday, but was too lazy to upload the pics ;) it's a galvy micromaille bracelet I made for my roommate with blue fossil beads and that funky middle bead that he gave me. I like it, it's punkish but not over the top. (I likes me some punk looking stuff.) I was nervous, it was the first time I ever combined beads and maille--I'm still working on my eye pin techniques, lol

beclectic
04-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Growls, I hate internet explorer. I lost the first post because I clicked out of the box and then hit delete :\

SO, I know it is a day later, but I am posting my show and share in this thread because I made this yesterday, but was too lazy to upload the pics ;) it's a galvy micromaille bracelet I made for my roommate with blue fossil beads and that funky middle bead that he gave me. I like it, it's punkish but not over the top. (I likes me some punk looking stuff.) I was nervous, it was the first time I ever combined beads and maille--I'm still working on my eye pin techniques, lol

That looks great.

Gingerbiscuit
04-21-2004, 03:03 PM

Is this technique hard to learn? It looks complicated. And very nice!

Blair
04-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Everyone's work looks great today (but isn't that always the case ;) )! Barrie, I do have to say I LOVE that clasp!! If you do put it up on e-Bay please post a link to the auction cause I might have to bid on that baby!

Here's my contribution. I'm absolutely in love with all the bangle bracelets I've seen on the forum lately so I thought I'd try my hand at a bangle style watch band. I liked it so much I made the bracelet to go along with. The lampwork is my own.

Blair

Gingerbiscuit
04-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Here's my contribution. I'm absolutely in love with all the bangle bracelets I've seen on the forum lately so I thought I'd try my hand at a bangle style watch band. I liked it so much I made the bracelet to go along with. The lampwork is my own.

Blair
These look lovely.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Blair!!

I totally dig those bangle watches! That's VERY cool. I haven't seen one like that, and I enjoy being different. I may have to invest in some watch faces after all. ;)

Gorgeous.

~D.

chroma
04-21-2004, 04:52 PM
I've worked with the tyvek using it in different ways. Here's some beads. . .
bj

Barrie
04-21-2004, 04:59 PM
That tyvek is pretty cool stuff!! Blair, the bangle watch and bracelet are gorgeous!!! I'm still waffling on posting the clasp on ebay, but I think I'll go for it (later today, I have beads to post too, so why the heck not! :) ) I'll let you guys know when I do. In the meantime, here's a picture of the dichroic cabs I chose the one for the clasp from. These are just a smattering of them - I made LOTS last week. Feeling like making more - how addicted is that! They range in size from 6mm round to about 15mm, something like that anyway.

Anyone got anything else to show (jonesing for eye candy!!)

Gingerbiscuit
04-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Wow, those cabs are fab!! And the tyvek beads are great.

MadameKali
04-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Lynne, it isn't that hard to learn at all. Tedious, yes, difficult, no. Check out http://www.mailleartisans.org if you want more information, there's a wealth there.

Susie

Shirley C.
04-21-2004, 05:31 PM
susie, some of the orbital weaves on that site look really fascinating! have you done any of them?

beclectic
04-21-2004, 05:35 PM
That tyvek is pretty cool stuff!! Blair, the bangle watch and bracelet are gorgeous!!! I'm still waffling on posting the clasp on ebay, but I think I'll go for it (later today, I have beads to post too, so why the heck not! :) ) I'll let you guys know when I do. In the meantime, here's a picture of the dichroic cabs I chose the one for the clasp from. These are just a smattering of them - I made LOTS last week. Feeling like making more - how addicted is that! They range in size from 6mm round to about 15mm, something like that anyway.

Anyone got anything else to show (jonesing for eye candy!!)

So Barrie, how do you make those? Do you fuse them in a kiln or a torch. I want to make some for a wire wrap I have in mind. Actually, maybe I'll just put them in a tub and wallow in them. They would also make the most georgeous set of Pente game pieces ever seen. They are so beautiful.

This is an outstanding group of work from yesterday and today. I have enjoyed looking at every single piece.

The blue tyvak beads are very outstanding and different from other paper beads I've seen. Here is a site I didn't find with Google but another search engine. Pull down the web page, the beginning is really not as interesting as further down the page, there are some knock-out paper beads.

Paper Beads that almost look like glass. (http://www.stampersmall.com/classes/paper_beads.asp)

The watch and matching bracelet are a good idea for multiple bangle wearers. I like your bangle design.

MadameKali
04-22-2004, 01:19 AM
Exactly which ones are the orbital weaves? to answer your question in another way, I have done Byzantine, Turkish Round, Euro 4-in-1, and Jap 6-in-1. I've also done Furby Flowers and the rosette looking flowers.

(Forgive any blatant stupidity about my own hobby, it IS rather late :D)

Shirley C.
04-22-2004, 01:27 AM
Exactly which ones are the orbital weaves? to answer your question in another way, I have done Byzantine, Turkish Round, Euro 4-in-1, and Jap 6-in-1. I've also done Furby Flowers and the rosette looking flowers.

(Forgive any blatant stupidity about my own hobby, it IS rather late :D)

here's what i found on that site regarding orbital and captive weaves. there are 3 pages.

orbital weaves (http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/subcat.cgi?mode=cat&key=6)

the tri-orbitwist on page 3 looks "fun". :eek:

Gingerbiscuit
04-22-2004, 04:44 AM
Lynne, it isn't that hard to learn at all. Tedious, yes, difficult, no. Check out http://www.mailleartisans.org if you want more information, there's a wealth there.

Susie

Thank you for this site Susie. I'm going to have a lot of fun here!!!

Lynne :D