09-06-2001, 11:02 PM
http://www.neoncrunch.on.ca/pix/sewing.jpg
18X26 acrylic on canvas
see what happens when I edit?
new version
http://www.neoncrunch.on.ca/pix/sewing3.jpg

allanom
09-06-2001, 11:10 PM
I hope I'm first in here, Jerry.. This is really sweet (may I say?) Really lovely composition and colouration.

Fagan
09-06-2001, 11:11 PM
Love it!! fantastic blues and the face/head is wonderful. You captured the moment.

ejfarrae
09-06-2001, 11:50 PM
hmmmnn...nice balance between light and dark. nice complex composition. like the intrusion of the shape in the upper right hand corner (thumb perhaps?). love the figure. she's got a real nefertiti/egyptian thing going on that is too cool. that neck is great. my only complaint would be the windows and wall in the background. they seem a little haphazard and unfinished compared to the rest of the piece. still, a very nice one jerry.

Cherie
09-06-2001, 11:51 PM
You must have a multitude of women around! Stunning as always.

YLCIA
09-06-2001, 11:53 PM
Absolutely darling !gorgeous colors!

Love it.

Julia

Impulse
09-06-2001, 11:58 PM
with the richness of coloring
that seems to be settling in for now
there is an ever increasing delicacy
in the brush strokes and
the portrayal of the light
the whole piece is superb
and enchanting but i am
particularly taken with the light at the window
and reflected around the room on the various objects

rarified air

Impulse
09-07-2001, 12:01 AM
should'a added:
if you are taking a second brush to the canvas
that red triangle in the upper right corner
may be a little hungarian in context

rsmak
09-07-2001, 02:02 AM
Home,sweet home!

rosanna:)

jerryW
09-07-2001, 07:13 AM
*rsmak, our kitchen is situated facing the street, I shot the photo from the dining room with kia at the left and one of alice's friends at the right.

* Impulse, I struggle with the elbow there, but I like the color there, and it kinda goes with the indistiction of other things. maybe it has to go.

* Impulse, rarified air - i savour that. thanks. alergies are terrible this week.

* YLCIA, they just bought the sewing machine, wife and daughter and for a first project they are designing a wool jacket!

* Cherie, I am the only male in the bldg, and I never have any friends over.

*ejfarrae, nefertiti/egyptian to mee too. my apologies for the windows and wall in the background. my effort at interp with the framing elbows, all out of focus is a bit weak.

* Fagan, thanks but the lomo captured the moment and some blurr, I interpreted that with brush and colors.

* allanom, first in last out, sweet-ish, ja but I like it too.

Impulse
09-07-2001, 08:43 AM
i don't think it has to go
i like the colour and the shape
of the triangle / elbow
i was just musing about whether
it is a little hungarian in execution

jerryW
09-07-2001, 10:01 AM
without casting aspursions on any cultural sector, are not all elbows a bit hungarian, and I do mean that in a roomy way aas well as an in your ribs kind of gesture.
In a previous painting I featured legs, I suppose this one could be renamed - elbows.

Luvy
09-07-2001, 11:02 AM
Jerry I always like your ideas for a painting. Where do you come up with them. I think of stuff but then I can't put it together like you do. I'm tried of painting birds LOL Love this *S*

jerryW
09-07-2001, 11:19 AM
*luvy, I don't think of them.
I want to paint everything but I feel wrong about painting other people's stuff, so I take lots of my own photos (now lomos), or people give me photos explicitly (so I feel Ok about it).
from the photos I take, about 3 out of 4 don't have to be thrown away, and 1 out of 20 is interesting and a portion of it might get painted.
I try to imagine a part of the photo stretching across any particular canvas in front of me and then I jump right in - usually with some yellow to start and I paint the major shapes from the inside outward then the paint meets the other colors etc. see - fundamental - but I don't start with ideas.

jheinrich
09-07-2001, 11:32 AM
"I don't start with ideas."

lucky you. :D

I have two areas that it took reading comments to decipher. The first is the friend's red elbow on our right. the other is the peachish oval of color coming up from the bottom that intersects with the sewer's elbow. Both read as nothing but shapes to me, and are confusing compared with the (thanks impulse) 'rarified air' of the rest of this. the sewer and her chair are incredible!

Now, if you're going to retitle this 'elbows', then my crits would be irrelevant, as so much attention is being brought to them right now ... :D

j*

jerryW
09-07-2001, 11:51 AM
*jnet11, not that there are no ideas circulating, I think the mind is normally busy, but I am not giving a body to my ideas. one oment one idea influences something then another moment a different idea influences.
your comments, critiques would always be relevant.

ZOTMA
09-07-2001, 06:18 PM
Elbows, yes
Air, yes
Neck, yes
Light, yes
jerry, Yes

jerryW
09-07-2001, 08:09 PM
new version
http://www.neoncrunch.on.ca/pix/sewing3.jpg

Jan-Michael
09-07-2001, 08:38 PM
jerryW... I really like ths and your use of colour and her form ...I think makes the image... I just have a problem with the growth on her back... it just doesn't seem to fit... or am I missing something....?

dornberg
09-07-2001, 09:03 PM
there is a nice movement of oranges down to the lower right,
and up again
this motion is folowed by the parallels in blue
the movement is countered by the creams
in addition to this flow,
is the horizontal division of dark light
foward back space is achieved
nice

jerryW
09-08-2001, 07:50 AM
dornberg, good to hear you like this type of thing.

Jan-Michael, that is the chair back of a chair just a little further away, took me a while to figure out what you were talking aobut, also previous reply was on tiny laptop so i could not see whole thing very well. thanks for looking and wondering.