PDA

View Full Version : My first hollow fish

Trexter
04-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Here's my first hollow fish bead :clap: :clap: :clap: I kind of overworked him out of paranoia but he survived the torch and the kiln. To think I only burned myself three times....not too bad I guess.

I guess it helps to have watched Pam Dugger make one two days before but I'm really excited to have this little guy. Let me know what you think....HONESTLY :)

Virginia L.
04-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I really think it is GREAT, fish are my favorite, and that is a wonderful fish - I don't have the foggiest idea how to do a hollow fish - God Bless - Virginia L.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

StefaniBeads
04-19-2004, 09:51 PM
OMG....this is your first one??!! :eek:

Wow!! I'll say you're already used to that Piranha huh?! ;) A sculpted fish, and a hollow one at that, is no easy project!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Trexter
04-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks ladies.....you're very sweet :)

I'm not quite used to the Piranha yet. Since I'm working with the Piranha and an Oxy Con, I'm not used to just playing with the propane only knob. It's a little strange to me but I LOVE my little torch.

I burned myself three times while making my fish. I was so worried about losing him that I wasn't thinking when I picked up the wrong end of my tweezers....oops!

DebbieSue
04-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Oh, he's so cute! I like the colors too! :clap:

Debbie

Zonnestraaltje
04-19-2004, 10:21 PM
I love those eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job! :clap: Now the fishy needs some fishy buddies!
:D

CLabora
04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
I love it!! I have been wanting to make fish, I just have not gotten the nerve. I guess I am wating to take a class with someone who teaches hot to make fish!
Yours turned out really nice. Great job!

Trexter
04-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Watching Pam maker hers certainly helped :) It wasn't a fish class but we all whined until she said that she'd make one for us....LOL. I was planning on making a little grape sized fish but my hollow bead was more the size of a golf ball after I encased it. By the time I finished him he was a 3" fish....yikes. I'm just happy he didn't crack.

I say, bite the bullet and just follow one of the books that shows them. Try hollow beads first though cause they are a bit testy/tricky. Oh, and make sure your fish stays warm but not overcooked like mine got :)

BurningScentsations
04-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Steven,

Great work on that fish! I'm really impressed, it looks like you've been making them for a while, and I'm also glad you finally got your kiln working!

Can't wait to see more of your stuff!

Lloyd

dlbirtwell
04-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Very well done! I cannot believe that is your first! Keep them coming!

CLabora
04-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Watching Pam maker hers certainly helped :) It wasn't a fish class but we all whined until she said that she'd make one for us....LOL. I was planning on making a little grape sized fish but my hollow bead was more the size of a golf ball after I encased it. By the time I finished him he was a 3" fish....yikes. I'm just happy he didn't crack.

I say, bite the bullet and just follow one of the books that shows them. Try hollow beads first though cause they are a bit testy/tricky. Oh, and make sure your fish stays warm but not overcooked like mine got :)

Thanks. I think there is a tutorial in CindyJenkins new book. Maybe this weekend... By the way, with what did you squish the fins?

Trexter
04-21-2004, 05:36 AM
Cecilia,

Yes, there is a tutorial in Cindy's book :) I used tweezers for the fin pinching but you can use needle nose pliers too. After I did them I melted them back in too much so they lost their shape but I'll try again this week.

IDrawInMargins
04-26-2004, 07:07 PM
HONESTLY... I LOVE IT! I do think the side-fins and tail fins are a tad thick compared to the dorsal fin, however, it doesn't matter. It's soooo beautiful! I can't believe it's hollow! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cool: :music: :music: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lwdstk66
04-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Very nice work!!
I want a tutorial on hollow beads!!! Waaaahhhh!!
I realley like the shape and colors.
Good for you!
Lisa

FrontHallGlass
04-28-2004, 02:37 PM
EEK! He looks like he may be endangered! Send him to me for safekeeping in my tank. I will take very good care of him and feed him every day! LOL

Great job! :clap: :clap:

Rebekah

Trexter
04-29-2004, 12:49 PM
o.k., here's my second attempt at a hollow fish. DON'T look at the colors.....he looks like he fell in the mud but his form is better than my first. I'm still not happy with his fin shapes but anything is better than my first attempt. His eyes are better too, at least I think they are. OH, and by the way, he has a hair-lip......LOL.

Now my other fish has a friend to play with. I think I'm going to blow some little balls and float them in my pool :)

Enjoy!

Virginia L.
04-29-2004, 01:38 PM
I LOVE HIM!!! Congrat's!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: God Bless - Virginia L.

Jamn!
04-30-2004, 03:53 AM
Steven Those really rock!

lwdstk66
04-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Sweet!!!

glassfreek
04-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Steven, they are adorable! Great job! I really like the tails! :clap: :clap: :clap:
There is a hollow puffer fish demo in the first spotlight too if anyone wants to try one ;)
Hugs Deb

BurningScentsations
04-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Steven,

I've heard it said time and time again, "I'm my own worst critic". I actually think I coined the phrase since it is just so applicable to me--always wanting perfection.

From the way you describe your fish, I'd say it applies to you also. I think your fishy beads are absolutely delightful! You may see the flaws, but nobody else does.

You're doing excellent work, keep it up!

Lloyd

Trexter
05-01-2004, 05:01 AM
ah, but Lloyd, I've spent the last 20 years, 8 hours a day, 5/6 days a week looking in a mirror and finding flaws :) Now, my 9-5 job is finding flaws in other peoples work so it kind of spills over. I don't ONLY find the flaws, I also find the good things too. I like my fishy and I'm very happy with him but I will always find ways to improve him for the next go round. I wouldn't be much of an artist if I didn't self-critique my work and that goes for everything I've done in the past or will do in the future :)

Something I find kind of funny even now when I'm teaching is that if I like the class I've taught, most people hate it and when I hate my own class, everyone else loves it......go figure! I think that's also true with all forms of art.

Next fishy is coming soon.....I'm just trying to figure out if I want to do one freestyle or to actually try a particular one. I'd like to do a puffer fish and Deb mentioned a "spotlight puffer fish demo" but I have no idea where to find that. Can anyone point me in that direction?

glassfreek
05-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Steven, well said about the classes! When I tell some people that their fish beads are really great they say "yeah right, look at yours!" and I say to them after almost 13 years on the torch I better be good at SOME kind of bead, lol! And I made more than my share of wonky, nuclear fish before I really made one I liked. So when I say it is great I really mean it and yours are GREAT!
The first issue of Spotlight (Corina's fab magazine) has a full tutorial with step by step pictures of my hollow puffer fish bead. I have had quite a few people try one and send me pics and I was quite impressed how well they did just from that demo in the magazine!
I am fairly sure you can still get one...go to Corinabeads....it is the hollow issue. Good luck and we would love to see how you do! Keep on fryin' em,we love them! hugs Deb