PDA

View Full Version : Sumptuous Satake!!!! Thanks Leah!

theonlyduda
04-19-2004, 05:24 PM
WOOHOO! Look at all the Satake I just got in the mail! I just took a FANTASTIC class with Leah Fairbanks and she showed us how to use Satake glass. What a great bonus! She showed us lots of amazing stuff! I highly recommend her as a teacher! I'm sure many here have taken a class with her but I just wanted to chime in that I thought she was just fabulous!! She was so helpful and had tons of knowledge to share. She even mentioned checking out Val's site in case I needed some cool frit.... but of course I already own lots of Val's cool frit! :) Anyway, this photo shows all the pink and purple Satake colors that I got, which is apparently about half of the order! :) I'd also like to say how nice the folks over at http://www.satakeglassusa.com are!! They were so helpful in answering my many questions before I took the plunge! Hopefully I'll have some beads to share soon too..... :D

ValorieCox
04-19-2004, 05:43 PM
wow Dawn, it sounds like a great class! Now whip up some of those beads, those colors are absolutely gorgeous! Valorie

emmadogdesigns
04-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Dawn:

Thanks so much for posting the website. I have been interested in ordering some Satake to try out, but everytime I ran Satake in a search engine I kept getting the Japanese site...which didn't help me too much since I don't know Japanese ;)

Definitely let us see when you get some beads done!

chocolatier
04-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Lucky you.....so, when you say that Leah taught you how to use Satake, is there something we should know other than it's a higher COE (113?) than Effetre.
Enjoy those spectacular colors.

Linda G.

www.vermontchocolate.com

theonlyduda
04-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Leah just made a bead for us and showed us the type of flame that she used with the Satake glass. It was a very small flame and a little low on the oxygen. She said that in Japan they use torches that are not nearly as hot as ours. It was just so helpful for me to watch someone in action with the glass. I think I had been using a flame that was too hot before and when I turned it down the glass worked much better for me. :)

Orca
04-19-2004, 07:10 PM
There's one thing that I don't understand about the Satake glass, and that is the difference between the "lead" and the "soda".

Are these still compatible with each other? And what would the differences be between them?

Such luscious, luscious glass......I'd love to buy a ton of it and just play!

dread
04-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Great colors and I looked at the site - a reall selection of colors too

something to think about

Lets see some beadies :clap:

AMR GlassWorks
04-19-2004, 07:21 PM
I would also like to know the difference between the lead and soda compatabilites? :confused: Gawd if they are all compatible just looking at all those colors that you could make!!!! Not to mention the gorgeous beads!! :D

UMTerps
04-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Well, the site says that the C.O.E. is:
Soda lime color 113
Lead color: 120

It also says:
"Satake Glass offers two types of glasses: lead and soda. Both can be used similarly with an air burner, but mixture of the two is not recommended. The glass compound may be subject to cracking. There is no problem adding dots or placing small amounts of glass to the surface of another glass, but it is not recommended to craft parts or laces with the two types of glasses."

theonlyduda
04-19-2004, 08:32 PM
I believe that is true, you cannot mix the Satake soda and lead together as the COEs are different. The advice I got said you should choose one or the other and stick with that just to keep things simple. (Always very important for me!! :) ) The rods are kind of easy to distinguish from other rods because they are a bit irregular in shape (not perfectly round, often they have a groove that runs the length of the rod) due to how they are pulled. I think they are all hand pulled. Anyhoo..... I got all lead because the pinks and purples were so amazing!! I also asked the folks at the website which colors were unique to Satake and this was the list I got back: G-05, G-21, G-27, G-35, S-32, A-26, A-28, A-40 & E-40 and I believe most of those colors are lead as well. :)

Moth
04-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Wow! You lucky dawg!!!! :clap:

I have been in contact with this supplier and asked if they offered any assortments and what their minimum order per color is. Here is a copy/paste of their response because it has all their contact info in it as well in case anyone wants it!

~~Mary

Hello Mary!
Thank you for your inquiry. We're glad you found us!!
Our minimum is 1 rod per color, total of order must be at least 1 pound (apx 6-7 rods). We hope this is something you can work with. Sorry, we don't have any pre-organized assortments.
We hope to hear from you soon!

With best regards,

Cindy
SATAKE GLASS USA
dba Trading Eagle Company
227 S. Raymond Avenue
Alhambra, CA 91801
Tel: (626) 458-9773 Fax: (626) 458-9759
Email: [email protected]

PyroAaron
04-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Oooooooooooooo!!! Those Are Some Real Nice Colors!!!

Zonnestraaltje
04-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Dawn, I love the bracelets you have displayed on your site. The colors are so happy, and the designs are so fun. I can only imagine what wonderful things you will create with the Satake glass! Hope you will remember to come out and share again once you have some finished pieces! :D

theonlyduda
04-19-2004, 09:40 PM
What nice feedback about my bracelets! :) Thanks! :)

I just wanted to say that I think they do have sample packs on that site now.... I got an email at the end of March which said-

We have 4 different sample packs: A,E,G,S. Each contains one 7" rod of each color, therefore a total of 40 pieces/pack. Price is $55 + freight. Visit our website to see the colors in each pack.

So if you just wanted to try them out I'd certainly ask..... I didn't go the sample route just because I decided to go all lead..... for the sake of simplicity on my end! :)

Aleta
04-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Dawn ~ Beautiful! That 7th color down which looks like a light cranberry. Do you know what color that is on the chart? They seem to match your hair color so perfectly! ;)

Moth
04-20-2004, 01:42 AM
What nice feedback about my bracelets! :) Thanks! :)

I just wanted to say that I think they do have sample packs on that site now.... I got an email at the end of March which said-

We have 4 different sample packs: A,E,G,S. Each contains one 7" rod of each color, therefore a total of 40 pieces/pack. Price is $55 + freight. Visit our website to see the colors in each pack.

So if you just wanted to try them out I'd certainly ask..... I didn't go the sample route just because I decided to go all lead..... for the sake of simplicity on my end! :)

Yes, I did notice those on the site...the email I linked to was just last week and is referring to full length rods of each color, like the moretti assortment you can get from Frantz or other places. Full length rods, just one of each, perhaps labeled. That was what I was looking for. They did have the samplers though, which seem great. Just not what I wanted. You can order just the one rod of each yourself, but I didn't know that for sure when I sent the email asking. I am rambling..sorry! Gorgeous bracelets. Gorgeous glass!

~~Mary

TheMadBeader
04-20-2004, 04:52 AM
Leah is the BEST and what you learn in her classes will take you to a new level of lampworking. OMG the satake place is 45 minutes from me. That is the first call I'm making in the morning!!!

Mark Wilson
04-20-2004, 07:35 AM
WOOHOO! Look at all the Satake I just got in the mail! I just took a FANTASTIC class with Leah Fairbanks and she showed us how to use Satake glass. What a great bonus! She showed us lots of amazing stuff! I highly recommend her as a teacher! I'm sure many here have taken a class with her but I just wanted to chime in that I thought she was just fabulous!! She was so helpful and had tons of knowledge to share. She even mentioned checking out Val's site in case I needed some cool frit.... but of course I already own lots of Val's cool frit! :) Anyway, this photo shows all the pink and purple Satake colors that I got, which is apparently about half of the order! :) I'd also like to say how nice the folks over at http://www.satakeglassusa.com are!! They were so helpful in answering my many questions before I took the plunge! Hopefully I'll have some beads to share soon too..... :D

what clear glass do you use for encaseing, that is compatible with the higher COE?

quill
04-20-2004, 09:59 AM
There is a clear listed for both types of glass on the site.

theonlyduda
04-20-2004, 10:55 AM
I think the 7th color down is S-18 which would have been a good match for my hair when it was pink :). G-02 is also a fantastic transparent pink...