PDA

View Full Version : Monday April 19th Show and Tell

Beads-Me!
04-19-2004, 01:21 PM
All right - I think I can come play again now that the show is over... Here's the Spiny Knotted bracelets I did over Spring Vacation. I really love these bracelets!

SuzyQ
04-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Nancy - Those bracelets are so fun. Definetely something I would wear :)

Now, my show and tell today is Nancy inspired! Those paper beads she posted a while back got me thinking about trying some with tyvek. I learned that one should paint both sides of the paper, lol. But this is what they looked like quickly strung for the picture. They are now in my daughter's bead box, but I will try again!

flynfire
04-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Nancy, sorry we "bumped" into each other! I couldn't imagine nobody had started a show&tell thread today! SuzyQ the tyvek is a cool idea!

SuzyQ
04-19-2004, 01:49 PM
I actually heard about using it with a heat gun a few weeks ago. I was at an art gallery in Sante Fe and saw some amazing textile art using it. I was so intrigued I asked my husband to look for a heat gun for me. The other day he brought home a demo from Home Depot and I had no reason not to try. I used an ordinary tyvek mailing envelope. But, I think I saw a magazine at Michaels with a how to on tyvek beads. (Or I dreamed about an article?.... who knows?)

Beads-Me!
04-19-2004, 01:51 PM
OMGosh! Those are awesome! I love the color and texture!! Too cool....

McDuck
04-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Oh Nancy, I really like thosde bracelets! They say "Wear Me Please!"

SuzyQ, that necklace is adorable I love themixed media!

-Mary

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Ok, someone tell me what this Tyvek stuff is! I posted those fiber, wiber, beaded beads by that Sherry lady or whomever, and I'm still trying to figure out a good way to make them. Those are very kewl Suze! I'm drooling over here.

Nancy, you kill me with those gorgeous spiny bracelets...we're doing an exchange with a similar idea, so I'm still wracking my brain wondering if I have the patience and fortitude to make it through all that beading!

LOL.

Great work all....I'm internet marketing researching today, so no goodies from me atm.

/sigh

~D.

Archer
04-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Nancy - Love the spiny bracelets. I took Stephanie's class in Oct at the Bead Expo - it was very inspiring and lots of fun!

Suz -The paper beads look very interesting, and I love the way you put the piece together.

Here's something I was working this weekend. Made the beads (daisies and bee) and was afraid they would be a bit too simple, but they seemed to work well with this bracelet. I'm really pleased since it's probably the first seed bead item I ever completely designed myself.

Maryanne

SuzyQ
04-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Tyvek is the white plastic you see on new construction houses. It is also in paper envelopes designed to be abnormally strong and water resistant. You know those white envelopes you get in the mail that you have to cut open? I have some big ones I mail my catalogues in. I painted them with lumiere and cut it into very tall triangles, rolled it like a croissant on a bamboo kabob skewer and wrapped some thin wire on it to hold it in place. Using a heat gun I melted the plastic in it, which "glues" the fibers and it together. I then take of the wire, slide it off the skewer and crazy glue any bits of fiber that didn't get caught up in the melted plastic.
Feel free to ask questions! I'm happy to give a more detailed set of directions if you want.

SuzyQ
04-19-2004, 02:16 PM
MaryAnn, Very nice! First seed bead design?! I can't wait to see what you do when you are experienced.

DonnaBee
04-19-2004, 02:27 PM
What a gorgeous, sumptious, lush and bountiful show n tell!

You are all so talented putting the components together!

(Psst. Danielle, I found flower and leaves glass beads and I am going to post a progress image of the beads I have gathered to the "Lush Garden" project page. HOWEVER, I am seriously thinking, I will do a simple double strand with wired-loop components, that is also Kate McKinnon inspired, and I think I won't be doing the sewed-embellishments for my first try. I am just too intimidated. But I will make a very lush garden bracelet! Just thought I would mention all that, after I read your post, and I sort of know where you are coming from! I think I would need a class or to watch someone do this! It seems it would be very enjoyable once you knew what you were doing.)

TheBlueBetween
04-19-2004, 02:40 PM
LOVE all the spiney flower bracelets!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And that fiber necklace is really wow too!

I just love this forum :) It makes me so happy to be a part of it. Hope to have some stuff to show soon... still working on my under the deep blue sea project... can't seem to do anything but... :)

beclectic
04-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Nancy - Great spiny bracelets, they are different from what I've seen before, called spiny bracelets. I love the bold colors and the way you've used interesting shaped beads.

SuzyQ - Your tyvek beads look fun, once you get them to your liking maybe you can do a tutorial on them for all of us. They look like they have great potential.

Maryanne - your daisy garden with bee is so summery and pretty. Wonderful design.

(Pssst: Danielle and Donna - Kate McKinnon's garden bracelet is not the only 'garden' bracelet there is. If you strung lampwork beads with lots of flowers in them with other garden elements that would be a lush garden bracelet too.)

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Lovely spiney knotted bracelets, Nancy.

Suzy, great Tyvek. Have you ever used a soldering iron on them after the heat gun?? It works well for an interesting effect. I was in Santa Fe a few weeks ago too, for Bead Expo. Were we there at the same time??

MaryAnne, I love your beads and your bracelet.

Lynne (England) :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Regarding the Tyvek beads, I've been doing some websearches, and came across this interesting gallery of items, some including Tyvek and Tyvek beads...

Take a look...and Pam, the last pic in that gallery is for you with all your beadwork! The lady who has mazeltov jewelry does similar pieces, I think.

http://www.meinketoy.com/gallery.htm

~Danielle

Edit: More on the wonders of Tyvek!

http://www.embroideryadventures.com/news.htm This is really KEWL stuff! One more darn thing for me to add to my list of things to play with. /groan

TheBlueBetween
04-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Regarding the Tyvek beads, I've been doing some websearches, and came across this interesting gallery of items, some including Tyvek and Tyvek beads...

Take a look...and Pam, the last pic in that gallery is for you with all your beadwork! The lady who has mazeltov jewelry does similar pieces, I think.

http://www.meinketoy.com/gallery.htm

~Danielle

Wow, wish I coudl see a close up of that - it looks funky!

SuzyQ
04-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Lynne, No, I was there just after it for a creative retreat for big important non-artist women, CEO's, DA's, MD's (I was there with my Mother) Part of what we did was called Gallery owner for a day and we got to see Galleries from the owner's point of view.

And, yes, I will do a WIP. I almost took pics of my work in progress but knew I would screw something up :)

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Lynne, No, I was there just after it for a creative retreat for big important non-artist women, CEO's, DA's, MD's (I was there with my Mother) Part of what we did was called Gallery owner for a day and we got to see Galleries from the owner's point of view.

And, yes, I will do a WIP. I almost took pics of my work in progress but knew I would screw something up :)

That sounds very interesting. And a fabulous location too!

Lynne :)

DonnaBee
04-19-2004, 06:14 PM
I was asked to make something from this long strand of coral-color beads. They were very difficult to work with and figure something out. I don't even know what these are. Are they coral?

All I know is they came from the Ukraine, and they were on thread.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Donna....they almost look like Bauxite, otherwise known as Pipe Stone.

Very pretty color.../wink

~D.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Here's a link to Bauxite beads....

http://www.happymangobeads.com/catalog/item/606726/256986.htm

~Danielle

DonnaBee
04-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Here is a close up of the "beauties". Well, they are going to make their owner happy, and I will get a bit of money... :rolleyes: :D I don't mean to poke fun, it's just that I really don't like doing custom things, and this is why! At least I am done with special requests, for the time being!

DonnaBee
04-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Also, the bead-owner specified long dangly earrings, otherwise I would have just done something small! :eek:

TheBlueBetween
04-19-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't think it's so bad - and I'm sure the owner is going to be thrilled!

:) Pam (who just made chocolate chip cookies instead of the custom necklace she said she was going to do - stalling.... stalling...)

McDuck
04-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Hey Pam, go ahead and send some of those choco-chip cookies warm and fresh to my studio! donna, I love that set! you did a wonderful job of not overpowering such a delicate color. Kudos!
_mary...errrr...mcduck who better go make some more beads

beclectic
04-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Here is a close up of the "beauties". Well, they are going to make their owner happy, and I will get a bit of money... :rolleyes: :D I don't mean to poke fun, it's just that I really don't like doing custom things, and this is why! At least I am done with special requests, for the time being!

I think they look like dyed coral. I wonder if the teeth rubbing thing would work for coral the way it works for shell and pearl? I tried it on some pearls last night and sure enough... they were a tad gritty (thanks for posting the tip sassybird). It is amazing because with all that luster on them you would think they would be very smooth.

Even though the color is not my fav I think you made a very pretty set with the beads.

McDuck
04-19-2004, 07:51 PM
My purple Sea Urchin Bead. took a while to get the formula correct!
Perty Blue Marbleous Beads. These ones are absolutely stunning in person!
A little red confetti beads next. these have texture :)
Terra cotta bracelet links.
-Mary

DonnaBee
04-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Mary, very, very pretty!!!

I think you are just a wizard! Really!

Thanks for compliments on the coral-creations! I deliver them on Wednesday.

Mmmmmmmm Chocolate chip cookies!

TheBlueBetween
04-19-2004, 08:14 PM
OH MARY!!! I want some of those purple sea urchin beads !!!! I'm going to PM you.

beclectic
04-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Mary I like the irridescence of the Perty Blue Marbleous Beads. I bet those were hard to photograph.

ringslingin
04-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Mary,

Love those purple sea urchins!!!

McDuck
04-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Mary I like the irridescence of the Perty Blue Marbleous Beads. I bet those were hard to photograph.

Thank you everyone!! These are so much fun to do!
Barbara, i can not even tell you how hard they were! but Iwill throw someinto you bin!
-Mary

MadameKali
04-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Mary, I'm still amazed that people make their own beads--it's impossible for me to imagine, so I am in awe :)

Donna, I love the set. I hope my jewelry evolves to be so simple but classy.

DonnaBee
04-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Thank you Kali! :)

So, did anyone else go looking in their house for chocolate chip cookies, or some close substitute?

Pam, I was seriously wanting a warm chocolate chip cookie because of you! Do you know, the only sweet we have in my house right now is rainbow sherbert.... Somehow, that just didn't cut it!

flynfire
04-19-2004, 09:56 PM
GASP! Mary, those are beautiful. MadameKali, I too am in awe of these ladies' beads.
Looks to me like some would make great backgrounds for my gliders. Are there large flat "beads" like cabachons? Uh oh. Need...help...call Beads Anonymous....I'm falling for beads...

DonnaBee
04-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Haha Beads Anonymous, hope you like crowded rooms! :D

Beads like cabs.... the thing that comes to mind with me is that some have split glass beads in half to use in cab-like ways.

I haven't tried that, so I don't know a lot about it, but it is definitely being explored by a few.

McDuck
04-19-2004, 10:12 PM
GASP! Mary, those are beautiful. MadameKali, I too am in awe of these ladies' beads.
Looks to me like some would make great backgrounds for my gliders. Are there large flat "beads" like cabachons? Uh oh. Need...help...call Beads Anonymous....I'm falling for beads...

Actually I do have some flat backed pendants. take a looky here at a few...i have others not posted yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181655

Repeat after me; "Hi, my name is ________. I am a bead-a-holic." :p

-mary...errrr...mcduck

flynfire
04-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Ah. I see that is also the "beads anonymous" meeting thread. I'll PM you. Thanks.

WillowMajestic
04-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Tyvek is the white plastic you see on new construction houses. It is also in paper envelopes designed to be abnormally strong and water resistant. You know those white envelopes you get in the mail that you have to cut open? I have some big ones I mail my catalogues in. I painted them with lumiere and cut it into very tall triangles, rolled it like a croissant on a bamboo kabob skewer and wrapped some thin wire on it to hold it in place. Using a heat gun I melted the plastic in it, which "glues" the fibers and it together. I then take of the wire, slide it off the skewer and crazy glue any bits of fiber that didn't get caught up in the melted plastic.
Feel free to ask questions! I'm happy to give a more detailed set of directions if you want.

Very Cool!! Thanks for the great explanation! Like a mini tutorial without the pics :clap:

Kari