PDA

View Full Version : Tanker at Tortola

PETERH
04-19-2004, 01:01 PM
A couple of paintings of a tanker anchored off Tortola, BVI.

All critique welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2004/8730-Tanker_Tortola,_BVI_Aug._2_small.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2004/8730-Tanker_Tortola,_BVI_Aug._3_copy.JPG

sun_merman
04-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Hey Peter,

Nice job with the tanker. I was in Tortola last January. It looks just like the harbor area (right off the beach after you go into town).

By the way, did you happen to see the painter who had acrylic "paper plates" hanging up around his "studio/shop" in the arts & crafts cottages?

I can't remember his name, but he was painting some very interesting acrylic paintings of native life in simpler times.

Thanks again for these, they are a reminder of our trip which was quite wonderful! :clap:

PETERH
04-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Your right! This is the bay near the power station.

I painted 32 pictures in Tortola last August and gave all but one to Sylvia, the owner of an art gallery there. A friend informed me that two have been sold, but I've received no money and cannot get any reply from Sylvia!

I didn't see the paper plates in the shop you mention.

Did you paint any pictures while in Tortola?

2003maryann
04-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi PeterH: Can you tell me what paper you used and did you use ink outlining the clouds? Very vivid colors, what kind of watercolors did you use.
2003maryann

sun_merman
04-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Peter!

I didn't paint while there (we were there for only a day while docked with a cruise ship Holland America's Zuiderdam), but I did take some reference photos. Just haven't had a chance to paint them yet.

Thanks again

Eric

Marty C
04-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Hi Peter,
Strong colour makes these quite dramatic works, even if showing a ship at rest. The colour seems to indicate the intensity of the tropics which once experienced is not easily forgotten. Good work.

PETERH
04-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks Mary Ann,

I can't remember the paper - probably Arches 140 lb. Fairly small format - perhaps 10" x 8". Certainly Winsor & Newton paints!
Yes, in this "Tanker" painting, I sketched with ink then added watercolour.

Hi Eric!

Tortola's a nice place to paint, but too hot for "plein aire". I painted these tanker painting from the luxury of an air-conditioned car!

Thanks Marty!

The tropical colours are memorable!