PDA

View Full Version : New & DIFFERENT silver-core beads

HotGlassArtiste
04-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Just back from the Long Island Bead Festival, where I showed some of my new work, including the following Large Barrel Beads and Silver Dot Beads. Hope you like them!

David

Tink
04-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Deliriously Delicious! Your work is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McDuck
04-19-2004, 12:09 PM
David,
Those are gorgeous! I love the last one with the silver dots!
-mary

Blair
04-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Great beads, but I especially love the silver dot bead! May I ask, is the silver melted onto the bead, or do you have it riveted on in some fashion? I have thought in the past about doing something like this (not exactly, though) and thought about melting the silver on, but I was afraid of the silver beads popping off or causing the glass to crack. Neither looks like a problem on yours!

Blair

DebbieSue
04-19-2004, 02:11 PM
I especially love the silver dot bead too! :)

Debbie

farkel
04-19-2004, 02:54 PM
I love the look of your beads. What do you make with beads with holes this large? How would they be strung or hung or whatever? I'd love to see them used in a piece of jewelry. Can you tell I'm new to jewelry making as well as glass??? :rolleyes:
Fran

*Naos*
04-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Gorgeous! The silver beads adhere so nicely to the glass - it doesn't seem like you have the microscopic cracks around them that I've experienced. Would you mind sharing your secret? :)

Am

Tink
04-19-2004, 03:54 PM
I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that is reduction glass...

HotGlassArtiste
04-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Great beads, but I especially love the silver dot bead! May I ask, is the silver melted onto the bead, or do you have it riveted on in some fashion? I have thought in the past about doing something like this (not exactly, though) and thought about melting the silver on, but I was afraid of the silver beads popping off or causing the glass to crack. Neither looks like a problem on yours!

Blair

The technique used here is cold working the bead. I utilize a drill press with a diamond-coated burr, and ream out semi-hemispherical depressions into the glass surface, exactly 4mm wide by 2mm deep. I then set 4mm sterling silver balls into the holes with an adhesive anchor. If you look closely at the photo above, at the silver bead in approximately the 11 o'clock position, you can see what looks like a shadow but you are really seeing is straight through the transparent surface of the glass and underneath the silver bead to the excavated portion below it. It is, of course, difficult to capture in a photograph, but if you held the bead in your hand, you could immediately tell that the beads were metal, and not reduction glass (but kudos for a nice try, Tink!)

Tink
04-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Holy carpola! What a cool thing! LOL! Wooohoooo!!!!!!

Patricia'sglass
04-19-2004, 06:29 PM
That is so amazing!! And beautiful! Do you mold the silver inside the bead? It is so smooth and perfect. Your work is even more beutiful since I understand more of how you do it!
Pattym

dread
04-19-2004, 07:49 PM
HOLY MOLY - what great stuff

McDuck
04-19-2004, 08:04 PM
VEry nice technique David, thank you for sharing with us! I just love that bead and cant wait until I can start to add silver work into my beads
-Mary

!Karen
04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Oh I just love those tubular beads! I wear my pendant from you all the time. People are always grabbing it. I have to slap their hands away, LOL.

Tink, didn't you want to know about what type of glue to use for metal to glass bonds? I think I remember that post LOL. Well, maybe David has the secret!

Exceedingly beautiful!

:)Karen

HotGlassArtiste
04-19-2004, 10:08 PM
That is so amazing!! And beautiful! Do you mold the silver inside the bead? It is so smooth and perfect. Your work is even more beutiful since I understand more of how you do it!
Pattym

Patty,

Basically, I insert a sterling silver tube, cut to the proper length, and hammer and flare it, until it conforms to both sides of the bead. This is not as simple as it sounds, and it involves a lot of "touch" in the hammering. Also, it involves a lot of polishing out of the hammering dents and final finishing. As any good metalsmith will tell you, all the work is in the details of finish, so it looks nice, but it involves a lot of work. Anyway, thanks for your interest!

Fyrsmith
04-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Wow!!
What beautiful multimedia work! :cool:

I have done enough silversmithing to know that "it involves a lot of "touch" in the hammering" has got to be an understatement. :D

I have several questions: Where do you get the silver spheres, or do you make them; what adhesive do you use, and why sterling tube, wouldn't it be easier to clean and finish if it were pure silver?

You are doing fantastic work, not likely to be immitated or matched by anyone without an awful lot of skill and patience. Show us more!

-Don-

latitude40
04-20-2004, 02:09 PM
mmmmmm..... that silver dotted bead.....total glass lust!!!!!!!! :clap:

Karen

HotGlassArtiste
04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Wow!!
What beautiful multimedia work! :cool:

I have done enough silversmithing to know that "it involves a lot of "touch" in the hammering" has got to be an understatement. :D

I have several questions: Where do you get the silver spheres, or do you make them; what adhesive do you use, and why sterling tube, wouldn't it be easier to clean and finish if it were pure silver?

You are doing fantastic work, not likely to be immitated or matched by anyone without an awful lot of skill and patience. Show us more!

-Don-

Don,

The spheres are single-hole sterling round beads, which are set with the hole side down. The adhesive of choice is a modified cyanoacrylate from Rio Grande called Jet Set, which I find has far superior setting and holding power over standard cyanoacrylates. And yes, I would love to use fine silver for this application, but I have yet to find a source of fine silver tubing in the sizes I require, so I use sterling instead. Thanks for your observations!

David

SpeedyGenie
04-21-2004, 05:48 AM
Hi David,

In Total Jaw-dropping AWE here....that's what I want my beads to look like when they grow up! :p

What size are the holes if you don't mind telling?

Thanks -
Barbara

BurningScentsations
04-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Hammers... Drill Press.... YIKES!!!!

I can just see what would happen when I took a hammer to my beads--not very tool handy. I tried drilling candles out for their wicks before and I wasn't exactly precision instrument in that department either!

Your work is absolutely stunning! Keep it up!

Lloyd

beadamaniac!
04-21-2004, 10:10 PM
UH! I think I just fell in love! That silver dot bead is to die for and the color is luscious!

bjcohan
04-22-2004, 05:43 PM
THUD!

OMG, David, those are to die for!

I, too, especially love the one with the silver beads. Yum!!!

Barb:cat:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Simply Bea
04-23-2004, 11:48 AM
David

Nice work..... I have been gathering courage (and materials) to try out some tube riveting....... and just bought myself a small riveting hammer a couple of days ago.. hopefully I can try out a couple of beads tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing.
Bea