PDA

View Full Version : "Dave"

MKathleen
04-18-2004, 06:06 PM
"Dave"
Gouache Opaque Watercolor on 140lb coldpress
9" x 12"

Hi All:
First thread in the New 'Marine Art' Forum. I've been looking at all the wonderful work showing in this forum. I don't do to much in the way of Marine art. This painting which I just finished today was part of a Weekend Drawing Event in the also New 'All Media Art Events' forum a few weekends back.
As always I appreciate your thoughts and comments. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2004/5343-DaveFinal.jpg

Leaflin
04-19-2004, 09:29 PM
:D Hi Kathy!
Welcome to the Marine Forum.
Well, Dave looks mighty cold to me.
I can almost feel him shivering, and the fall leaves are a wonderful touch.
Your composition is great!
The slant in the sky leads my eye to the trees, which leads me to Dave. The boat lines start to lead me out, but the leaves bring me back in.

I took a quick look in the WDE and couldn't see the reference photo.
You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? :)

BTW a great plug for WDE :D

MKathleen
04-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Here is the image and my painting for comparison...I do think I should have realized all my Pin Oak leaves were the same size.. :rolleyes: should have varied the sizes...oh and the small dots on the flooring was an after thought not sure they were really needed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2004/5343-davesmogryn.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2004/5343-DaveFinal.jpg
Hi Linda, thank you for the warm welcome I thought this painting would be a good fit for this forum. You can plug the Marine forum in the AMAE forum anytime you like :D course you'll need to join a WDE :D

diane555
04-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Hiya Kathy and welcome to the marine art forum!
This is a great piece! I like your blue pallette...yup, he does indeed look a bit chilly. Painting wrinkled fabric or plastic is challenging huh? I wish I had more time to take part in the WDE's...soon maybe :)

Di

MKathleen
04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
:D Hiya right back at ya Di, we'd love to see 'ya' at a WDE and anyone else too. Somehow I got a little carried away with the plastic fabric good thing I wasn't going for ultra-realizm. :D Thank you for your nice compliment....Heard from Max...he and wife are coming up to Prescott for the big Phippen Western Art show at the courthouse plaza. We'll have dinner together at some point! :D

Eugene Veszely
04-22-2004, 10:59 AM
The raincoat looks like it is made out of fish :)...I like it :)

brrice
04-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Thats a really good watercolor. He looks a little cold. You did a good job on the back ground. I like the limited palette of the blues and blue grey. The yellow coat is well done and if I had that reference photo I would have put the yellow coat in too just for the challenge. In this painting I wonder though,what it would have been like if the yellow was toned down a bit or another shade of bluegreen was used instead of yellow. You know what I mean. If you block out the yellow you get a really nice limited pallete effect. The painting is well done don't get me wrong. I love yellow but I'm not sure if it suits this watercolor. Its hard to say if the painting would be better with or without the yellow. My eye is drawn to that area first. Is that what you want? I am trying not to make this sound negative because you did a great job here.I am learning with you. Its just an opinion. Lets see what other say.

Marty C
04-25-2004, 12:09 AM
Hi Kathy,
Really nice work here, the atmosphere comes across very well. He looks cold, wet and a little apprehensive with the slitted eyes, the open mouth and the forward leaning posture. A nice composition, makes me wonder what he is looking at. The blue and yellow complements add to the drama, the bright yellow emphasising the drabness of the day. Very well done.

MKathleen
04-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi 1chameleon, thank you hadn't really intented fish shapes but glad you like it. :D

MKathleen
04-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi Marty, thank you and what a nice compliment...humm now you have me wondering what he was looking at...probably shore and a warm cup of something. :D

MKathleen
04-27-2004, 05:10 PM
In this painting I wonder though,what it would have been like if the yellow was toned down a bit or another shade of bluegreen was used instead of yellow. You know what I mean. If you block out the yellow you get a really nice limited pallete effect. The painting is well done don't get me wrong. I love yellow but I'm not sure if it suits this watercolor. Its hard to say if the painting would be better with or without the yellow. My eye is drawn to that area first
Hi brrice:
I don't think the scan showed the true overall color which is actually a blue-purple and the orange-yellow would be a compliment. I tend to push my color and the yellow raincoat was just to tempting and I was really drawn to the raincoat color and wanted the challenge of making it all work together. I like the idea of your eye being drawn their first because you see what I saw. I think I was able to pretty much hold the viewers attention with line and color.
I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my painting and give me your input--which is very much appreciated.