PDA

View Full Version : My newest 'Wearable Art' acquisition!

Barrie
04-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Well, what do you think? My mating dragons are 14" long and start at the nape of my neck, going down the center of my back! My dh has the same one (his is shaded in black, instead of purple), on his right calf!! I love it!!! This is only my second tattoo, and I can't believe how big it is! LOL! But it is hidden nicely when it needs to be, and wouldn't change a thing! I'm actually thinking about more now - what a hoot!!! Whoever said these things are addictive sure wasn't exagerating!!!

Here's a picture of mine and Randy's dragons!!

mistymade
04-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Wow Barrie! That is truly "wearable art"!!!:D They're both gorgeous!

One of these days I'm gonna cross the boarder out of Oklahoma and get a tatoo. It's illegal to get one here, isn't that crazy!

Barrie
04-18-2004, 06:35 PM
I was talking to the guy that does our tattoos about that! We just can't imagine not being 'allowed' to get a tattoo. What a silly law! You should do it - I highly recommend it!! (Well the tattoo part, not the illegal part! LOL!)

ringslingin
04-18-2004, 06:41 PM
It's probably illegal to GIVE one, not get one...different states have different health codes.

Love the ink, Barrie... you're braver than me! Mine are teeny tiny! I think they're beautiful. Didn't that hurt like h-e-double hockey sticks???

Denise

Barrie
04-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Heh, heh, heh! Denise, it stung like you would not believe!!! Especially the tips of the tails (getting really low down on the back (goes under the bra!) and the top, near the nape of the neck. But I figured if my dh can tolerate the stuff he's gotten over the past 8 months or so, there was no way I was jamming out with a little thing like this! LOL! Here's a couple of pics of his newr stuff - the gecko is about 12 inches long, and the frog is about the size of a baseball. And solid color!! Mine's just outlining and shading, the solid color is the ouchy part! The snake head is just the head of a 6 1/2 foot Burmese python. They're not done that one, just needed to give the skin a few months to heal as it was getting badly abuse every week, with the outlining, the color blocks, the scales! They still have to do the background color then shading then finish the head. The bamboo will go all over the place to fill in the sleeves. And wherever there's a little space left, if they can't fit a bug or a frog or a lizard or some other thing, then it will get black/gray vines, shading, etc. Very jungly!! We spend almost every Friday night at the tattoo shop, surprisingly a lot more fun than it sounds!! So you see, no way was I going to chicken out! LOL!

beclectic
04-19-2004, 12:27 PM
So is he going for one sleeve or two? Is his whole body going to be themed?

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Your tatoo artist is very talented!

Lynne

Charlee
04-19-2004, 12:43 PM
Whoa Barrie, that is beyond cool! Mating dragons - I love that. Excellent work! I have Marvin Martian on my thigh. Got him for my 36th birthday. I've had the hots for another for ages, but can't decided exactly what. I've about narrowed it down to 2 or 3, so will probably just get them all. :evil:

Charlee

DonnaBee
04-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Barrie and DH, those are all beautiful! I agree, you have a talented tatoo artist.

debkauz
04-19-2004, 04:43 PM
I love those dragons! That's a talanted artist! :clap: :clap: :clap:

How long did it take to do that? Looks like days to me!

Debbie

Barrie
04-19-2004, 04:56 PM
So is he going for one sleeve or two? Is his whole body going to be themed?

Well, it was originally going to be full sleeves, then he got the dragons on his calf, and now he's talking about skulls on the left calf (I have a cool idea for a skull dragon!!). I think the jungle theme will probably stop at the waist, but who knows! LOL!

It was quite funny how this all started. Randy (dh) has had tattoos for as long as I've known him (21 years in May - we moved in together after knowing each other for 4 days!), but no new ones. Then Graeme and his wife took my silversmithing class last spring, and asked about a wax carving and casting class. I hate teaching that, so I offered Randy's services to them, as I knew they'd get along okay. Then I found out Graeme owns a tattoo shop, and suggested that Randy would love to trade classes for tattoos. Well, once I ran that idea past Randy, he insisted that we go to the shop and meet with Graeme (I don't think he was too sure about it at first). So we get to the shop, introduced them, and it turns out that they grew up in the same area, knew a lot of the same people, and the artist that gave Randy many of his older tattoos was the same guy that trained Graeme. They've been friends ever since! So we spend many, many hours at the tattoo shop, and I spend hours coming up with new ideas for Randy's tattoos! LOL! Having spent most of my time watching, I find it really interesting, and would love to try my hand at it. (Randy actually volunteered to let me tattoo him - is that love or what?!) Like I need one more hobby! :D

I say go for it! It's definitely not for everyone, but it is addictive! Just make sure you find a good artist that practices excellent health standards, and you'll love it!!

flynfire
04-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Very nice! I have a 23 year old solitary dragon on my arm named "Chi'en Li Feng". He originally had 12 colors, but after living in the Sunbelt, we are both a little faded now. Did you name your dragons (or is that just me)?

lisilk
04-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Barrie, those are cooool. Wish I'd have had such a good tattoo artist. :rolleyes: Love the purple dragon.

Li

Barrie
04-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Very nice! I have a 23 year old solitary dragon on my arm named "Chi'en Li Feng". He originally had 12 colors, but after living in the Sunbelt, we are both a little faded now. Did you name your dragons (or is that just me)?

Kit! What a great idea!! They'll be with me for the rest of my life, so I guess they deserve names! And I tend to name everything else, now I just have to think up some interesting, appropriate names!!

Li, I think a good tattoo artist is a must have, since it is so permanent. My first tattoo (when I was 19, sooooo many years ago), was supposed to be a snake (my b/f's nickname), but looked like a pile of bird poop!!! So eventually I had it covered with a purple and pink dragon. But the mistake I made with the first one was having it done by a buddy at a party while I was extremely intoxicated - a definite no no!!! Hard lesson to learn! I'm soooo much happier with all my dragons, new and old!! (guess I should name the old one too! :) )

MadameKali
04-19-2004, 09:02 PM
I want a phoenix on my lower back very badly :\ I also want a chinese dragon crawling up my thigh.

Isn't it expensive to get this kind of work done? I always want to but am never sure if I have enough money.