PDA

View Full Version : Best beading wire?

AmyK
04-18-2004, 03:10 PM
I made jewlery in the past and got really tired of the beading wire stretching or kinking. Now I'm doing my own lampworking and mostly making bangles but I would like to make a nice fringy bracelet but I'm afraid of the whole stretching issue again. I've tried a few brands but the only one I still have is Soft Flex .014 fine....think I tossed the rest in disgust! What wire will hold up under some weight without stretching?

beclectic
04-19-2004, 12:33 PM
I've used Beadalon with lampwork beads and I've never had wire stretch. I've used the .018" but never anything heavier. Beadalon is a plastic coated cable. It comes in heavier weights. There are other brands too, like Tiger Tail.

Is this the type of wire you are talking about stretching?

GardensOnGlass
04-19-2004, 01:54 PM
I only use SoftFlex, and I use all three (well, I think they actually have 4) thicknesses, Fine, Medium and Heavy (I think they have Extra Fine). I prefer Medium for most everything, but if I have really heavy beads, expecially if there are a lot for a necklace or I think it's a bracelet that may have a lot of wear & tear, I use the heavy.

debkauz
04-19-2004, 02:15 PM
I also only use SoftFlex. I rarely use the fine, and go to through tons of the medium. I use 2x2 mm ss crimps with it and have never had a problem with it coming apart. I love the stuff and bought 1000 feet at B&B last year!

Deb

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 02:54 PM
I also only use SoftFlex. I rarely use the fine, and go to through tons of the medium. I use 2x2 mm ss crimps with it and have never had a problem with it coming apart. I love the stuff and bought 1000 feet at B&B last year!

Deb

Which colour do you buy? I bought 1000 feet at Bead Expo, Santa Fe last month in silver, and am now wishing I'd bought bronze. (If DH is looking, of course I mean instead, but in my heart I mean as well! LOL!!!)

I love Softflex, and their crimp tubes too, they are excellent quality.

Lynne :)

TheBlueBetween
04-19-2004, 03:03 PM
I either use SoftFlex (fine or medium) or Fireline fishing line (6 lb test) for fine weaving/sewing... or some projects use both.

debkauz
04-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Which colour do you buy? I bought 1000 feet at Bead Expo, Santa Fe last month in silver, and am now wishing I'd bought bronze. (If DH is looking, of course I mean instead, but in my heart I mean as well! LOL!!!)

I love Softflex, and their crimp tubes too, they are excellent quality.

Hi Lynne!
Mine is called clear, but looks more silver/pewter to me. You can kind of see it through very light colored things, but it isn't obtrusive. Did you have fun in Santa Fe? I love that place!!!

Debbie

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi Lynne!
Mine is called clear, but looks more silver/pewter to me. You can kind of see it through very light colored things, but it isn't obtrusive. Did you have fun in Santa Fe? I love that place!!!

Debbie

Ooooh yes!! I had a ball. I'd never been to NM before. It was wonderful. I took a couple of workshops, and did a lot of shopping. It was far too easy to spend, LOL! I really enjoyed the show, and the Indian restaurant near our hotel!

chuckie
04-19-2004, 05:45 PM
(I think they have Extra Fine).

Yes, they do have an extra fine. It's called Soft Touch. I use it on pieces where I have to weave the wire through the beads more than once.

Char