PDA

View Full Version : Runs in the Family?

baquitania
04-18-2004, 12:20 PM
So Jon (diane555's 17yr old son) & I are watching this attrocious kungfu vampire movie, but we're loving the consistent absurdity. Anyway one of the villains has this hair-piece, not sure of the technical term for it, we call it a Rod-Barette, and it hits Jon that he could make something similiar in his jewlery class at school.

So 4hrs over 4 days later, he gives you this, we're just posting it for him... This is the pic we took last night of him wearing it... I should mention we all have long hair, though his is the thickest, mine is the darkest, and Diane's changes color in the sun... He's making jokes that he'll make a better living at art before we do... I'm afraid he may be right!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2004/3278-barette-003.jpg

Bobby & Diane (proud parents)

Gingerbiscuit
04-18-2004, 12:34 PM
This is fabulous. And I'm coming out of lurkdom with my first post ever to say so, so I must mean it!!! :clap:

I have been lurking for 3 days, reading everything in sight. I feel I know you all well already! LOL!

Lynne (in England)

WillowMajestic
04-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Well done! :clap:

Definitely a cool idea ... and great execution :clap:

Kari

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-18-2004, 01:17 PM
~Great~ job~! I totally love it. I have long hair, and now I want one! /drool

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

~Danielle

Oh, wait! Welcome you two coming out of lurkdom! Start showing us your goodies.../nudge nudge... ;)

~D.

Gingerbiscuit
04-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome!!

I do mostly off loom bead weaving. I am in the process of setting up my "glass studio" - a posh name for my cellar! I took a one to one workshop with Di East, and became totally hooked INSTANTLY!! I will post some of my work in a show and tell soon.

I have so enjoyed looking at everyone's work. Very inspirational!!

Lynne

artbabe21
04-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Bobby...thanks for posting this!! Very talented guy & a fabulous execution!! :)
It's certainly in the genes!! :D

baquitania
04-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks everyone... and artbabe, it's Diane's genes, I am just the soon to be proud step father... though last night Jon said, you haven't influenced my sarcasm, you just encourage it! LOL

Bobby

DonnaBee
04-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Welcome Lynne!

Jon, that is just outstanding, everything about it. :clap:

sassybird
04-18-2004, 02:34 PM
This is so cool! With my hair to my waist I am always on the look out for hair pieces. I love the design of this piece. It looks as though a lot of work was put into it too. Tell Jon I am impressed:D

beclectic
04-18-2004, 02:41 PM
This is fabulous. And I'm coming out of lurkdom with my first post ever to say so, so I must mean it!!! :clap:

I have been lurking for 3 days, reading everything in sight. I feel I know you all well already! LOL!

Lynne (in England)

Welcome to Wearable Art Lynn (in England). :)

Baquitania please tell Jon, Diana555's son, that that is a very nice barette and I have very long hair and I wear that type of barette often so I should know when I see something that looks well designed as well as artistic. And welcome to Wearable Art to you too.

:D

Gingerbiscuit
04-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Thank you for the welcomes!!!

By the way, please can anyone tell me how to put my location by my name, underneath "member"?? TIA!

Lynne

beclectic
04-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the welcomes!!!

By the way, please can anyone tell me how to put my location by my name, underneath "member"?? TIA!

Lynne

Click on 'My WC' on the second blue line from the top of the site page. Look on the left and you will see a list of actions you can perform. Clinck on 'My Profile'. Fill in your profile with your city and it will put that city under your name. Enter your country location and you will get a little flag representing your country on all your posts.

Thank you,

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Click on 'My WC' on the second blue line from the top of the site page. Look on the left and you will see a list of actions you can perform. Clinck on 'My Profile'. Fill in your profile with your city and it will put that city under your name. Enter your country location and you will get a little flag representing your country on all your posts.

Thank you,

Thank you!!! :)

Lynne

beclectic
04-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Thank you!!! :)

Lynne

Uh, isn't that the Swiss Flag? It says hails from England but????

Beads-Me!
04-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Very cool!

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Uh, isn't that the Swiss Flag? It says hails from England but????

No, it is the flag of St George, the English flag which makes up part of the union jack which represents the UK. The union jack is seen more often, and is a combination of each country's flag in the UK. When I had a choice of countries in my profile, I didn't expexct to see England, I thought my choice would be UK. The Swiss flag a white cross on a red background. The international Red Cross is very similar, but the red cross is in the centre and doesn't touch the edges like the English flag.

HTH

Lynne :)

Charlee
04-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Please tell Jon his rod-barette is excellent! When my hair was long, I wore that type almost exclusively as it didn't cause me a headache. Would have loved to have one so well made and lovely. :D

Welcome to all the new folk! :clap: :clap:

Charlee

beclectic
04-19-2004, 01:17 PM
No, it is the flag of St George, the English flag which makes up part of the union jack which represents the UK. The union jack is seen more often, and is a combination of each country's flag in the UK. When I had a choice of countries in my profile, I didn't expexct to see England, I thought my choice would be UK. The Swiss flag a white cross on a red background. The international Red Cross is very similar, but the red cross is in the centre and doesn't touch the edges like the English flag.

HTH

Thanks for the info. I knew that the Union Jack was made up of the other flags but I thought an act of Parliment in the early 1900s made it the official flag of England. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew that the Union Jack was made up of the other flags but I thought an act of Parliment in the early 1900s made it the official flag of England. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

It does get confusing, even when you live here, LOL!! I bet that most people here wouldn't know wether or not the union jack was the right way up!! There is a slight difference.

beclectic
04-19-2004, 01:53 PM
It does get confusing, even when you live here, LOL!! I bet that most people here wouldn't know wether or not the union jack was the right way up!! There is a slight difference.

So what is the trick for telling if it is the right way up?

Gingerbiscuit
04-19-2004, 02:46 PM
So what is the trick for telling if it is the right way up?

This is easier to show than describe, LOL! It is the way the red and white diagonal crosses lie. You might like to look here:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page398.asp

lisilk
04-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Great design. How lucky is he to have jewelry class at his age ? !

Cheers,....tell him to post more.

Li

MadameKali
04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Maybe Jon would like to do an exchange, a barette for me and chain maille jewelry for him.. :D

It really is pretty though, I bet it will get a nice patina, too.

diane555
04-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone :)
He's loving the class! So much so that he's asked about getting some tools & materials to work at home with.
MadameKali: I'm sure he'd love that! My brother learned to do chainmail many years ago...it's amazing but time consuming.

Di

happylsds
04-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Beautiful! How old is your son? I can't wait to see more of his work!

WillowMajestic
04-20-2004, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=TurtleBay Jewelry
Oh, wait! Welcome you two coming out of lurkdom! Start showing us your goodies.../nudge nudge... ;)

~D.[/QUOTE]
Danielle ... I always lurk! I still have to take a few more courage pills before I begin posting. I know, I know, it isn't fair ... but I am a terrible critic of my own work. I will create something .. have many compliments .. and then take a pic and say to myself "Oh, crap that looks TERRIBLE!" Perhaps I will look through a few pics and try to choose one anyway.

Cheers,
Kari

MadameKali
04-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Diane, it's terribly time consuming, I'm just glad I love tedium *grin*

I'm jealous that he has a jewelry class! I never got to take any, I don't even know where I would take them except the bead shop down the street. I'd love to learn more metalworking. I'm having fun with maille, but I want to branch out a bit :)

paintfool
04-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Ooooh! I LOVE that! Great job Jon! Let me know if you decide to sell them! I love unique things for my hair & that copper would look great in my blonde/brown/red hair. :D I want one.

Cheryl