PDA

View Full Version : The Wave

idahogirl
04-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Here is my first submission to this new exciting forum. It is 12x16 acrylic on canvas....comments and suggestions welcome.

Dee

artistodon
04-18-2004, 01:41 AM
Dee,

Nice job. I like the colors and movement. The forground is excellent in contrast and detail. I think you could add more depth to the wave by lightening part of the left side and adding some shadow.
Don :)

Leaflin
04-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi Dee :)
Glad you joined us in the Marine Forum.
Good job on your wave!

ripvanblair
04-22-2004, 04:18 AM
This is very nice Dee you can almost hear that wave-------well done--------Alan

Marty C
04-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi Dee,
A nice wave but I would like to make a couple of suggestions. Because of the fleeting nature of waves it is a common error to forget that waves have shadows, the same as objects on land. They will also have different value or density of shadow depending where they are on the wave, and different shadow length depending on time of day and direction of light source. All this can be extremely difficult to pick up without taking a photo of a wave and studying the various aspects of the wave. Without the shadows and various colour values a wave will look flat and lack life and movement.
There are shadows on an unbroken wave face from variations in the wave face and from shadows cast by the foam and the wave lip. There are shadows cast by and within the foam, so that there will be value and shadow variations in the foam, often in a random pattern, whilst there will be definite shadow lines cast by the foam edges.
Add to this the reflections made by the foam in the surrounding water, the size and direction of the reflections again being determined by the direction and strength of the light source.
To further complicate things, if the wave is breaking close to shore there will be colour variations in the water due to the nature of the bottom - reflected reef or rock colour, sand stirred by the wave action etc. There is lots more on the way a wave will break but I won't bore you too much as it gets complicated.
You have lots of movement going on here, all it needs is a little tweaking as regards shadows and values and it will be a very good wave indeed.

artistodon
04-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Great advice Marty. Now I know why you can paint such magnifcant waves. It is obvious you have studied your subject thoroughly. Dee if you haven't had a chance to see any of Marty's pieces, you would greatly benefits from looking at them.
Don :)

idahogirl
04-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to look and make suggestions. They have been very valuable!!

Dee

meowmeow
04-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Great start here...actually almost there. YOu have gotten some good advice...add some shadows and maybe a bit more contrast on the left side of the water and this will be done. You have some excellent movement going on....you'll make it really splash with a few more strokes of paint!

Sandy