PDA

View Full Version : Three new ones

sendin
04-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone and a special "hi" to Marty

Here's what I've been up to -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/26882-ShadowBowstoBirdsr100K.jpg

This one is called Shadow Bows to Birds and is 15.75" W x 22.75" H with a tombstone top, oil on masonite. Going to be difficult to frame.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/26882-BodegaHeadr100K.jpg

This one is Bodega Head (really popluar subject around here - obilgatory tourist stop) 18"H x 24"W oil on masonite - much easier to frame!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/26882-PalmShadowr100K.jpg

And this last one is called Palm Shadow. Its 16"H x 20"W oil on canvas board.

The 100K pic size limit seems to be making these images too small to see. Maybe I can reduce the resolution and get the size bigger too? Any suggestions? Didn't the size limit used to be 200K?

Critiques welcome and thanks for looking. Denny

Michael-Ann
04-17-2004, 05:01 PM
The 100K pic size limit seems to be making these images too small to see. Maybe I can reduce the resolution and get the size bigger too? Any suggestions? Didn't the size limit used to be 200K?

Hi Denny! I'm just gonna jump right into this thread because I was thinking how good your tiny seascapes were :D...

You should be able to adjust the level of compression you are saving your JPG at...I find that I can get away with 80% without effecting the colours to much and get a smaller size file. 100% is a big file with good colour and 50%, as in 50% compressed, generally looses colours. Anything more than 50% compressed usually gets that weird compression pattern you see sometimes in graphics. Also, always save a copy of the image at high resolution (or loooowww compression) to work on because working with a low res file and saving it again creates yucky effects... How to change the compression depends on the graphics program you are using.

You may have already known all this and I just misunderstood your question, if that is the case IGNORE me :) I'll be looking for your bigger images :D

shrinkinviolet
04-17-2004, 07:17 PM
I hope that you can get them a little bigger because I would love to see more of them. They are very well done.
Thank you for using the uploader so we don't have to toggle between post and picture. I am on a crusade about that this week. It seems like everyone is attaching their images which makes it difficult to critique.
Judy

sendin
04-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Here's another attempt at larger images -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/26882-ShadowtoBirdso2r.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/26882-BodegaHeador.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/26882-PalmShadowor.jpg

Gave that poor little cheap Kodak a workout ! My brain too !

Denny

shrinkinviolet
04-17-2004, 08:21 PM
These are just as beautiful as I thought they would be. Congrats on difficult work well done.
Judy

Michael-Ann
04-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Those are absolutely amazing! incredible, they look so real...Wow! The sea foam in the first is beautiful...and the palm shadows is creative and unique...you are a very talented individual.

artistodon
04-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Wow,
You are really talented. I love your paintings. Do you do these from photographs? You captured the movement of the waves beautifully. I just hope I can be this good one day. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Don ;)

sendin
04-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks Michael-Ann for your help with the sizing issue. It really helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. I'm really glad you like these. The first one is still my favorite too.

Ruth - Thank you for your compliment.

Hi Don - Thanks too - yes I work from photos. Mostly my own photos. The Palm Shadow painting is the first one I've done where I completed it in one day. A challenge from one of my mentors. Most of my others take about four consecutive weekends to complete. My "real" job gets in the way of everything!

Denny

Eugene Veszely
04-18-2004, 11:07 AM
I can see you have been busy...very good work, glad you posted it :)

The pictures dont do them justice I am sure !!

xavier
04-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Youve been a busy bee Denny~all of them look great,The palm
shadows looks as if it could have been right here in florida!

Alan Cross
04-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Nice work but I am glad I don't have to pay for the framing on that first one LOL
Alan :)

sendin
04-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks 1chameleon, Frank and Alan.

I think I am going to try to make the frame for the 1rst one myself since I have a jig-saw and a router. Wish me luch as I'll probably need it.

Denny

Marty C
04-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi Denny,
I'm glad to see you finally posting your great work and also glad you got the sizing sorted out as it would be a shame to see such works too small, makes it difficult to fully appreciate the high standard of work you are posting.
These are all extremely good (good luck with that framing!) but for me the stand out is the Palm Shadow, the darks of the beach seeming to imitate the darks of the sky, the sky containing the beach colours and the two separated by a contrasting and beautifully rendered sea make this a truly compelling work.

sendin
04-25-2004, 02:29 AM
Hey Marty

Not only are you too kind you're also eloquent! I finally got some unprimed canvas and I am going to follow your tutorial on building and preparing my own canvas on a frame. We live on an old chicken ranch so we have some good cured wood to use. Been painting on masonite and most buyers in NoCal seem to prefer canvas, so I best get with it! Thanks for this site. I'm having a great time sticking to the subject and checking out all the great work.
Denny

ripvanblair
04-25-2004, 05:21 AM
Three excellent paintings, I particularly Like the misty feeling in the top painting you can almost see the swell---------well done------Alan

PETERH
04-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Great paintings Denny!

I like your water, waves, surf, foam, clouds, shadows .. just about the lot! :D

meowmeow
04-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Yum! I love them all! The surf and the rocks are wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to get them larger so we could see them!

Sandy

sendin
04-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks Alan, PeterH and Sandy -

Haven't tackled the above mentioned frame or started any new paintings yet. Been getting my woodworking tools in order to build that frame with the curve and some bigger stretcher frames.

Must admit that all of my WC browsing lately has been right here in the Marine Art Forum. Thanks again - Denny

bobsart
04-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Great job Denny!! Oil or acrylic?

If you would have fluffed-up the foam in the foreground of the first piece a bit, I would have thought this was a photograph instead of a painting.

These look great. You have evolved quite nicely.... :clap: :clap: bob

katz
05-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Wow, all three are beautiful.
Very well done.

Gay

Jijo
05-04-2004, 11:03 AM
All are excellent Denny, I like most the second one cause of the deepness and athmosferic feelin. Congrats
ALex

sendin
05-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Hey - bob,
Thanks for keeping track. They are all oil and the last one is Winsor & Newton water mixable oil which is just okay. I had a hard time getting used to the consistency. Brush clean up is really nice though.

Thanks katz & Jijo - Hope to post more within a month or so. Thanks for your comments. Denny

itsmecherren
05-06-2004, 10:59 AM
wow !!!!!!!