PDA

View Full Version : Two Days Work

McDuck
04-17-2004, 01:18 AM
Okay, I been busy here, this is two days work, well there are about 175 more beads you do not see here as they are going to be sea urchins, or are in the kiln as I type! yeah! I been a busy busy girl and thankful my daughter likes to help clean the beads. See the new florals on top?
Good Night!
Mary

Barrie
04-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Argh!! I can't see the picture! I can see a hint here and there of some pretty cool beads!! Fix it! Quick!! LOL! (Like you have nothing better to do!) Congrats on the plethera of work you got done!!! Dont' forget to take a wee break this weekend and have some fun!!

!Karen
04-17-2004, 02:34 AM
What a grand haul!! Great work too! Congratulations!!!

:)Karen

McDuck
04-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Morning Barrie! Oh I peeked in the kiln and wowzers! some neat looking things coming out in a while. yes I am taking a break, going to ride the motorcycle a little bit, have to go get flowers from Mom's garden as she is moving and she has some wonderful peonies that used to belong to my Grandma. So Gardening and riding and glazing and rolling out some hand made beadies is my day!
Thank you Karen! I cant wait to get them finished and see what I really have!
-Mary

Retta Gates
04-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Wow, what a treasure trove... :) I love the florals on top!( especilally the big leaf) It looks like you have a heap of painting ahead of you.

McDuck
04-17-2004, 09:47 AM
It's funny Rette, I woke up this morning, peeked in the kiln and started to paint the two masks! They officially have oriental flesh faces! But that's it for now! Jeepers, better get to that shower!
-Mary

Retta Gates
04-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Hehe. :) I would love to come help. It looks fun! I have beads to make myself though :D

farkel
04-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Mary, what are these beads made out of? Are they ceramic, clay, and how the heck do you make the impressions on them? :confused: This is such a basic question...duhhhhh. I feel like the first time someone asked me if I drilled holes in my glass beads......duhhhh. Oh, and they are beautiful! Can't wait to see them painted...ahh what kind of paint do you use? (the duhhh again)
Fran

TheBlueBetween
04-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Mary, what are these beads made out of? Are they ceramic, clay, and how the heck do you make the impressions on them? :confused: This is such a basic question...duhhhhh. I feel like the first time someone asked me if I drilled holes in my glass beads......duhhhh. Oh, and they are beautiful! Can't wait to see them painted...ahh what kind of paint do you use? (the duhhh again)
Fran

LOL!!!! I was thinking the same - and thinking - wow - what a haul for 2 days work - I could never make that many lampwork beads in 2 days... and yes, people are so funny - did you drill the hole? How did you paint all those colors on there? (Lampwork). Hahaha :)

Great work Mary - you are going to be all ready for your show.

And yes, go relax and do something fun you've earned a break!!!

:) Pam

McDuck
04-17-2004, 10:44 AM
OH you guys are a hoot! These are both ceramic slip cast and clay formed beads. Impressions can be made by rolling them on sheet that has impressions on it, stamping withstamps, stencils, buttons, I use molds and handform them too. As for glazes i buy all the ready made brands, mix match or use them straight out of the container. Holes are set prior to kiln firing and sometimes are dremeled out afterwards. I wish I could rest, but all of this has to get painted and I still have to finish the hand formed beads for my collaborations with you all!

But I will go motorcycle and plant a bit.

ciao! Mary

McDuck
04-17-2004, 10:45 AM
OH you guys are a hoot! These are both ceramic slip cast and clay formed beads. Impressions can be made by rolling them on sheet that has impressions on it, stamping withstamps, stencils, buttons, I use molds and handform them too. As for glazes i buy all the ready made brands, mix match or use them straight out of the container. Holes are set prior to kiln firing and sometimes are dremeled out afterwards. I wish I could rest, but all of this has to get painted and I still have to finish the hand formed beads for my collaborations with you all! and if anyone is close and wants to glaze with me, come on down! LOL

But I will go motorcycle and plant a bit.

ciao! Mary

TheBlueBetween
04-17-2004, 11:12 AM
so... you buy the basic shapes and then with slip you can paint on decorations and texture? And then you paint them with colors and put them in the kiln to bake? Sorry, this is just the first time I've thought about this kind of bead... where did you learn to make them?

Shirley C.
04-17-2004, 12:06 PM
mary! wowzers! i sure wish i was this productive...

these look wonderful - can't wait to see them full of color. great work!

DonnaBee
04-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Mary, you are so creative and productive!

I feel so lucky that I live close to Bead and Button, so I can see your booth! I have to try and get there Thursday night when it opens.

Have fun with the motorcycle and gardening!

River's Song Art Jewelry
04-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Mary,

Can't wait to see what these look like finished. What size are they?--the dime is missing--I can't tell size without the dime!! :D

debkauz
04-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Those are really cool. I can't wait to see them painted and glazed. I skimmed through as I am at work and BUSY. That is what you do, right? I didn't need to see this--I don't need another thing to start on!

Debbie

McDuck
04-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Mary,

Can't wait to see what these look like finished. What size are they?--the dime is missing--I can't tell size without the dime!! :D

ROFL Bonnie Jane, it was a quikcie image before i started my full day again! Need to go load the kiln to fire more glazed beads. The sizes are from about 15mm up to 3 inches I think.

-mary

McDuck
04-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Those are really cool. I can't wait to see them painted and glazed. I skimmed through as I am at work and BUSY. That is what you do, right? I didn't need to see this--I don't need another thing to start on!

Debbie

hey Debbie, You are close by and will have to come play some day! It's alot of fun;) And everyone needs "one more thing" to start! lol -Mary

McDuck
04-17-2004, 01:21 PM
so... you buy the basic shapes and then with slip you can paint on decorations and texture? And then you paint them with colors and put them in the kiln to bake? Sorry, this is just the first time I've thought about this kind of bead... where did you learn to make them?
Hey Pam,
I have a few molds that i can pour ceramic or porcelain slip into to harden, then I take it out of the mold, add holes,preclean, dry then clean them up, fire to cone 04 or cone6, some I will glaze then fire, then the rest I will glaze and fire again. I also use ceramic and porcelain clay which I can flat mold or hand form or both. I also flat mold and handform to decorate them. it can take up to 3 days for a bead to go grom start to finish and little longer for porcelain as I like them to be dry-dry.
-Mary

Flowers are in the ground, gonna jump in the studio until my sweety gets here then off on the bikes! Vrrroooom Vrooom!

McDuck
04-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Hey Pam,
I have a few molds that i can pour ceramic or porcelain slip into to harden, then I take it out of the mold, add holes,preclean, dry then clean them up, fire to cone 04 or cone6, some I will glaze then fire, then the rest I will glaze and fire again. I also use ceramic and porcelain clay which I can flat mold or hand form or both. I also flat mold and handform to decorate them. it can take up to 3 days for a bead to go grom start to finish and little longer for porcelain as I like them to be dry-dry. I will take a small pictorial of the process for you to see.
Here are some bead from the kiln this morning. The dark one on the right is dark purple, it is reallystunning in person! Oh Ack, I am in too big a hurry lOL pic kinda sucks, the center bead is just awsome i person too! I think boro would look fantastic with it! The bottom two are part of a bracelet set, they are terracotta.

-Mary

Flowers are in the ground, gonna jump in the studio until my sweety gets here then off on the bikes! Vrrroooom Vrooom!

TheBlueBetween
04-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Hey Pam,
I have a few molds that i can pour ceramic or porcelain slip into to harden, then I take it out of the mold, add holes,preclean, dry then clean them up, fire to cone 04 or cone6, some I will glaze then fire, then the rest I will glaze and fire again. I also use ceramic and porcelain clay which I can flat mold or hand form or both. I also flat mold and handform to decorate them. it can take up to 3 days for a bead to go grom start to finish and little longer for porcelain as I like them to be dry-dry.
-Mary

Well I have no idea about most of what you are talking about! I guess I'll just stick to lampwork beads ;) And buy some of yours when they call to me :D

Charlee
04-17-2004, 04:51 PM
WOW Mary, those are yummy! :clap: I really like the flowery & leaf ones. Can't wait to see when they're all gussied up. *s*

Charlee

!Karen
04-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Mary,

I can't get your web page to take my "place in cart" order. It takes me directly to paypal and there is nothing there, it's like I'm just signing in to paypal to check things out.

I wanted to purchase some copper findings, but it won't let me??? :crying:

Just thought you should know incase someone else is having a problem. Of course it could be on my end too, but I'm not very computer savy, so that will be a bummer if it's me.

:)Karen

McDuck
04-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Hi Karen, thank you for alerting us to the problem. Webmistress is off this weekend so i will have her look into it on monday. I pm'd you too
-Mary

debkauz
04-17-2004, 09:30 PM
hey Debbie, You are close by and will have to come play some day! It's alot of fun;) And everyone needs "one more thing" to start! lol -Mary

Name the day!!! I can't wait! I need something to do a 'one-up' on the beadbabe group I belong to! Can't wait to see you at B$B. HAHAHA! That dollar sign was a mistake but I'm leaving it in because it is SO true for me and b&B! They really are gorgeous beads and I can't wait to see the finished product because it's going to be great!

Deb

sassybird
04-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Since I am not a lamp worker I bought some sculpty to play with. I have been thinking of trying to make some beads. You say that the holes are done before firing. Do you put something into the clay to work around and then pull it out when it is ready for firing? Your holes look so consitient. My hubby is building me a indian kiln this summer so that I can begin sculpting again. I may wait until then and use the clay that I will be working with to do some beads. Any information, advice you can give would be greatly appreciated:) I can't wait to receive some so that I can get to work on the choker pieces:D

McDuck
04-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Charissa-
I use a lare mandrel, nails and thin mandrels for my holes. Build your bead first, then place the holes in them. I start on one side pushign the nail half way into it, then from the opposite side i push the nail through and out the other hole. Here are some awsome site:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beads-of-clay/

http://www.beads-of-clay.org/

There is alot of info here and everyone can help answer your questions too!

Will be mailing beadies out this week! Woohoocant wait to see what you make!

-mary the tired errrr mcduck