PDA

View Full Version : Spring Forward Show & Tell - Saturday!

Booger
04-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Late Night. There's a THING in the kiln and no way am I going to sleep until it clears 2 hours, so let's begin. Bring them out, please? Beads, marbles, sculptures, stained glass, mosiacs, fused, slumped, glass paintings!

And here's mine. A basket bead. Technique learned from Deanna Griffin Dove at my first Gathering and my 8 year old weaving pot holders on a loom. I really like this and please don't be alarmed......IT'S PRETTY. And then a nasty Kabuki Boy. He's not a bead to mess around with....he scares me......
Your Turn!
1 Hour To Go,
Booger

nicker
04-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Ok here's mine...terrible picture the sun didn't co-operate today I will try again towmorrow. No name yet for these ! :eek: !

ctseibels
04-17-2004, 12:37 AM
It's a late night for me....usually I am either asleep or out on the town. But I have a show/demo all day tomorrow, so thought some beadwork would be better for me than beer!
So here are some of my newest pieces. Cross your fingers for me, and hope I sell them tomorrow. I have really been getting into my off-mandrel pendants. And some new off-mandrel earrings...fun!
Sleep tight everyone!
Carter

Tink
04-17-2004, 12:39 AM
I love your sculptural work! And nice colors/interesting technique on the basket bead!

Nicole, that's a lovely color!!! What is it?

Carter, I love the sunny pendant in particular. I hugely appreciate beadwork, as I really don't do it.

Here's what's left of what popped out of the kiln today:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/10179-geoformsm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/10179-fri1.jpg

Teri.p
04-17-2004, 01:05 AM
Sheryll- Not only is the basket pretty, it's (gulp) strung with other pretty beads. what's up with that?? :p and the Kabuki - guess the hot guy thread has me, umm, well, okay. I bid on the Kabuki.

Nicole - love the purple!

Carter - I have no doubt that you'll do well..... your pendants are fun! I particularly like the checkers....!!!

Tink - **sigh** so very yummy, your beads are. and what do you mean, what's left? Are the rest sold? Stolen by gremlins?

I finally made another ring. I am heading to the auto supply store in the morning to score some brake line - I've made myself like a dozen pinkie rings, but with only two pinkies, I gotta have larger mandrels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/23019-Image001.jpg

Teri

Tink
04-17-2004, 01:18 AM
LOL! "Score some brake line" she says... We are all such addicts! Heheheh! That is a BEAUTIFUL ring! I've had no luck making them whatsoever :rolleyes:

What happened was pretty cool, Teri: As I was working last night, I took a break near the end of my session and posted on my website that I was having a blast and gave a quick description of some of what I'd put in the kiln. Everything I described sold. I was floored, to say the least! The three beads I had on my site tonight were the three I made after my website post. Two of those are now gone! I'm afraid the one lonely bead that's left is going to get a complex or something. LOL!

:music: Tink is a happy grrrl! :music:
:clap: :D :clap:

Lori Peterson
04-17-2004, 01:18 AM
Way cool stuff, everyone!!!!

I've had a pretty good night! After being in the dumps all week, not a bead made since Monday :( , I put up a few buyables on my website and they all sold within hours!! Yay! I guess Friday night's allright for bead buyin'!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/12192-buy041604d.jpg

Tink
04-17-2004, 01:46 AM
Way cool stuff, everyone!!!!

I've had a pretty good night! After being in the dumps all week, not a bead made since Monday :( , I put up a few buyables on my website and they all sold within hours!! Yay! I guess Friday night's allright for bead buyin'!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/12192-buy041604d.jpg

Geez! Those are PURTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I played with doing some little flowers like the ones in Beads of Glass this week. Fun! Yours are downright ELEGANT though! And yes, it must be a good night for bead buyin'! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Briatha
04-17-2004, 01:50 AM
Sheryll the basket bead is marvelous! Kabuki Boy is magnificent in a scary sorta way:eek:
Nicole luscious purples!
Carter gorgeous jewelry! Good luck at the show :)
Tink fabulous focals!
Teri dreamy pinkie ring!
Lori I absolutely love those dainty little flowers!

More lentils :D
Dusty Rose Alkara and Robins Egg Blue Tsa

Lori Peterson
04-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Geez! Those are PURTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I played with doing some little flowers like the ones in Beads of Glass this week. Fun! Yours are downright ELEGANT though! And yes, it must be a good night for bead buyin'! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why thank you, Tink! Elegant? Wow. I don't think any of my beads have ever been called that!

Jamn!
04-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Sheryll I like the pretty bead!!
Nikki I like the set. er, what I can see of it anyway! :)
Tink Lovely! Tell me again how you sell something before its done??? Whats up with that? hehehe
Teri I really like the ring!! Very pretty and delicate!
Briatha Very pretty lentils.. I like the colors and the twists too! I think you should join lentils annonymous! :)
Carter Very nice nice beads! I like them!
Lori Those flowers are just so perfect! The detail is so incredible!

Not much torch time for me! My MIL is here and I am doing the duck and cover routine! :) She's a B. I have even swept the floor every time I made something this week so my DH doesn't have to hear how I shouldn't torch with my kids etc,, :rolleyes:
I have made a few kidlets but I don't want to post them here. I think they should go in the kidlet thread!

Here is one of my sets I will be listing on ebay today or Sunday. Whenever I can get my DH to take pics. He is so much better on photo skills than me! Disregard the bead release. This one is a work in progress I keep going back and adding more beads to it. Olive green, aqua, coral (two tone) and yellow.

StefaniBeads
04-17-2004, 09:15 AM
Booger - Cool bad*** boy, lol! Oh, I love the basket bead, would love to see you do some more of these! I've never seen this technique before, it's pretty!

Nicole - That's a very pretty transparent purple, not easy to get it that color! A lot of purples are more like grape jelly, which is nice, but I love the color you got! Is it one of Val's frits?

Tink - I love your fine stringer decorations, I melt those and get globs! Love the fab color combo on the bottom bead - it's screaming my name, lol!

Teri - Lovely ring, are they hard to make?? One of these days I would like to make rings and bracelets in boro.

Lori - Sweet little petals! How do you work so small?!

Faith - Amber Rose on first set, right? Pretty!

Heidi - Those are beautiful, I love this fiery red!

Here's what I got for today. More etched turquoise and a "greenstone", one made with some of that pink coral(wish I had more!), and some cobalt lapis swirly experiments. This blue is so dense, you only need little bits when mixing colors, otherwise it sure overpowers everything else.

Joensey
04-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Sheryl, a THING in the kiln? I'm scared. Love the basket bead.
Carter, I'm so glad you mentioned off mandrel, I totally forgot mine were in the kiln! Great stuff, by the way.
teri, I love the ring, I really must try that.
Tink, my first thought was that if they were popping out of the kiln, and only two were left, you might try a catchers mitt. :D
Lori, beautiful flowers, Tink's right, they're elegant.
Briatha, gorgeous as usual.

Here are a few vessels I did, they're pretty much hollow. I'm not sure about the topper bead on the white one, whatcha think? Too blue?
The implosion pendants are from my third try, I see improvement. The one in the middle is my favorite, I think I'll even wear it.
Joensey

Natalia
04-17-2004, 10:15 AM
As usual some amazing creations up here...one day I will gather enough courage to post some of my beads here...when I'm "good enough" (is that ever??!)

Was interested in the implosion pendants, I have not heard of these before. How are these made??

Thanks for the inspiration again guys!

Natalia :)

nicker
04-17-2004, 12:00 PM
I know my picture was terrible I don't know if it was the new fabric backing or the lack of sun? Anyways the transparent purple is Moretti 044. The center beads are Opalino 504 with Val's Purple Gold frit overtop.

WiredWomanDesign
04-17-2004, 12:01 PM
This is the only thing I made this week - busy in my "other" life interviewing lawyers and writing business plans for a research institute. But I am happy with these. I just had to work with hot colors (2 oranges, 2 yellows, coral, red, some foliage and small eyes of turquoise) to make up for the fact it snowed here this week.

Booger
04-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Lisa - That's pink coral??? WHAT A COLOR! I have got to get some of that. Pairing with the black adn the surprise fish on the side is getting my vote for the favorite bead.
Nicker - that is a wonderful purple! I thought it was Bullseye and very brilliant. Neon glo to it. Very pretty set of beads!
Holly - Holy WOW! What a necklace! Love the checks and cubed beads, love the patterns, love the colors, love the stringing, love the pendent! That is absolutely wonderful. (Like the sun, too)
Tink - Is you feeling better, neighbor lady? I really hope so. Selling beads before they are even cooked is WAY COOL! I am liking the bottom hollow way too much......It reminds me of modern painting. And what is a protest auction, please? I must have missed something again...
TeriP- Lovely, I say! BRAKE LINES??? Did you have fun lining up the edges?
Lori - OOOOOOOOOOOOO! AHHHHHHHHHHHH! I am seeing your fleurs on a knotted wonder cord with about 35 of your flowers on it. Did I mention I can only picture it on my neck?
Faith - I love the blue and black lentils. Very Gothic color combo. Dark and lovely.
Jamn - What a color pack! Makes my eyes dance. And the beads with very dark blue on them really adds some visual contrast.
Joensey - The red vessel is a stunner. I admire the wire-working on all the vessels, too. Tis a skill. And I wish I could see the implosions - the one in center intriques me greatly. They are lovely, too.
WiredWoman - What COLORS! They just pop out. I can't even imagine the effect they would have in person. They are totally fun to look at.
And to Natala, please post. The people here are wonderful, (only bite when invited...) the feedback will do amazing things for your confidence, and we are a sick lot. It's true....we are bead junkies and love to look at others work.

Now. off to the Hot Rods bead meeting and everyone have a great day. And the thing in the oven? IT'S WEIRD!!!

Sheryll

Tink
04-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Tink - Is you feeling better, neighbor lady? I really hope so. Selling beads before they are even cooked is WAY COOL! I am liking the bottom hollow way too much......It reminds me of modern painting. And what is a protest auction, please? I must have missed something again...

Hey Sheryll!

I am feeling SO much better! After the headache finally went away, I found myself compelled to use all these colors that I never touch. LOL! I'm having a blast and am more than relieved to have conquered the nasty headaches. For the most part. I still sense them lurking around the perimeter of my brain, but when I do I go lay down and breathe.

As for the protest auctions, let's just say there's a link on my page about it. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. LOL!

I have a whole day and night of torching ahead! Weeeeeeeeee! No errands, no company coming, no meals to cool, no nuthin'... Just me and the glass and the fire. Yay! But I can't start until my lucky flaming eightball pants are out of the dryer.

One last thing: A lot of people ask me about the origin of my name. It's just a diminutive form of my real name, much as Sue is for Susan and the like. My REAL name? Princess Buttercup von Tinkenstein. There should have been a "Dr." on the front end of that by now, but I left my doctoral studies for flameworking. :cool:

rhapsodyfirebeads
04-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Wonderful art guys!!!! I love S&T!!
That 2 tone coral is killer!!! What color and brand is that??
Everyones work is just great!!
Here's mine, the second one from the left is made with Val's yummy Tuscany Olive frit, over pastel sage green, with some vines of pea green & black woven in. It looks like marble in person.

~Suzy~
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/30368-ivoryflowers1.jpg

!Karen
04-17-2004, 03:07 PM
I know my picture was terrible I don't know if it was the new fabric backing or the lack of sun? Anyways the transparent purple is Moretti 044. The center beads are Opalino 504 with Val's Purple Gold frit overtop.

He Nicole,

Don't use any fabric that has a shine on it. Messes with the camera too much.

Looks like a great set.
Loverly beads everyone! Really spectacular today :clap:

:)Karen

Tazzielou
04-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi I think I finally found how to attach my beads. I am a newbie. Only been making beads for two months.

Juli

ctseibels
04-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Wow Juli...only two months?!! Very impressive!
You are having lots of fun- I can tell.
Keetp up the good work!
Carter

!Karen
04-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Since I rarely post beads in the S&T, I feel a bit intimidated here. But I wanted to show these and say how much I love Val's Gaffer cane. It works up like a dream, rounds out so nice, and it's a pleasure to work with it.

Here's my humble offering to the S&T

Gaffer canes with frit & silver.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/33050-beads.jpg

And a better pic of the big lentil, The color shifts in this are nice.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2004/33050-lentil.jpg

Patricia'sglass
04-17-2004, 10:09 PM
OMG Those gaffer cane beads are to die for. The colors are so subtle and soft. I love what you did with the silver and frit.

How'd you know I was sitting here rocking back and forth wishing I had more Money? :D

!Karen
04-17-2004, 10:18 PM
LOL, I love that quote because it's so true. Just sittin around wishin you had more money, yep, that's me!!

I love the cane too! It is soft and sweet!

shoozles
04-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Beautiful yummy things in here. I love looking in here for inspiration, color ideas and shear amazement.

Thank you all for sharing
Michelle

xoticbead
04-17-2004, 10:24 PM
It's proably just may monitor but some of the photos are so dark I can hardly see them, Can I adjust my monitor so it makes the beads show up better?
Liz :confused:

Patricia'sglass
04-17-2004, 10:42 PM
I have a brightness adjustment on my monitor. Check to see if it can be adjusted, maybe?

Tink
04-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Just taking a torch break and OMGOODNESS! Karen, those are luscious!!! I love the subtle colors! Crap. Now I need some Gaffer cane when Val gets it in again. LOL!

Patricia'sglass
04-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Tink,
I was thinking the same thing! Val better get ready!

rosebead
04-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Karen those are so beautiful. Could someone please explain what exactly is "gaffer cane"?

DebbieSue
04-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Beautiful work by everyone! Joensey, is there a tutorial available for the implosion pendants? They're cool-looking! :)

Debbie

!Karen
04-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Here is a link for making something similar in a marble. You would do it the same, I'm guessing here, but finish it off as a pendant instead of a marble.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170943

Jamn!
04-18-2004, 12:33 AM
I bought some of the gaffer cane from Val and I am just thinking of what to do with it.... I don't want to waste it and I think I will try similar colors in the effetre colors before I use it. :)

I have to say it was almost comically funny how carefully it was wrapped! Just like opening a Christmas present! Paper and quilted cloth rolled into a bundle. Triple tied with ribbon and a plastic cinchy tie(Hmm new word) then double boxed both with peanuts!! hehehe I was swearing Go3$#@$^! can't get it open and I wanna see it NOW!! I had to use a knife to get the plastic cinchy off!

Here is a link for those who asked!

http://www.andale.com/stores/sf_home.jsp?mode=1&sfUrl=valcox

Nikki I am wondering if you got your P.M. from me! and do you have your flash on when you took that picture above? Most of your pictures look just fine but todays was a little light! Please take another pic so we can see your pretties!
Karen Nice Nice
Suzy I really like what you did! Those flowers are so cool!
Lisa I love the organic soft look that you have in your beads! They are so flowing and free!

Joensy Nice work!
Susan I love the Fiesta set and the other set you have up for auction right now is pretty cool too!
Julie That Mermaid is so cool! Two months NAAAAHHHH you's kiddin right?? lol

Thanks for all the positive comments!! The coral on coral beads look even better in person! The color combination of the yellow/pink coral and tangerine/pink coral is pretty cool. IMHO
Sheryll I am really curious about the THING in the kiln! Is it for S&T tomorrow??

DebbieSue
04-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Here is a link for making something similar in a marble. You would do it the same, I'm guessing here, but finish it off as a pendant instead of a marble.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170943

Thanks much! :)

Debbie

Booger
04-18-2004, 01:00 PM
HeeHee.....The "THING" has already headed out the door and is going to photographed professionally for our group's post cards!

But I liked that "THING" so much, I am going to make another tonight. Stayed tuned for the unveiling and thanks, THANKS, THANKS to our NLC for the fabulous idea. Things........gotta love those glass things.

Sheryll