PDA

View Full Version : Beading a Christening gown

farkel
04-16-2004, 11:40 PM
I am going to make my 1 month old grand daughter a Christening gown and I want to add some decorative beading. Maybe around the lower edge and collar. Has anyone done any beaded clothing and is just overflowing with helpful hints on the do's and don't of this type of work. I thought of using small pearls but not committed yet. We are in the process of looking for a pattern and material. I want to make the gown out of either batten-burg or eyelet lace with a satin lining, with the matching hat. (hope she doesn't graduate from college before I'm done the gown :rolleyes: )
Thanks,
Fran

lisilk
04-17-2004, 12:49 AM
Hi Fran,

What a wonderful gift for your grand daughter. I'm sure someone else here can help you out. In the mean time the site below has all sorts of patterns and tutorials for beaded garments.

www.Bead-Patterns.com

Be sure to show us your progress and finished piece when it is completed.

Cheers,

Li

farkel
04-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks Li for the website. I will run off now to check it out.
I made one little error, it is my great-grand daughter!
Fran

TheBlueBetween
04-17-2004, 10:53 AM
What a wonderful gift!!! I wish I had some advice, but I don't.

We want pictures when it's done though - with the great-granddaughter in it too :clap: :clap:

Charlee
04-17-2004, 05:06 PM
That will be a treasure for generations to come. What a wonderful gift. :)

Charlee

farkel
04-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. My DH says to be careful (I dont' know when to stop some things) not to "tart" it up :rolleyes: She could look like Gypsy Roselee in the flick of the wrist!!! But seriously I was thrilled when my grand daughter asked me to do this. I think I'll look at the bridal section in the fabric stores for beading materials and ideas. I'll try to figure a way to borrow a digi camera to send pics later.......

sassybird
04-18-2004, 02:47 PM
This is a wonderful way to start a baby off in life:) I have done beading on material with seed beads. One thing that I learned was to tie each bead off before going on to sew the other on. Then if a bead comes loose it can be replaced without a whole row being dislodged.

TheBlueBetween
04-20-2004, 07:25 PM
I've been thinking about this... and about how you would clean it if it had lots of pearls or beads... something to consider, since babies can be messy.

Wonder if it's possible to make the beaded parts removable so the rest of it could be cleaned?

Moth
04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
I don't think you should be concerned too much about the little one being messy. She will only have it on a short while, and a glorious bib could be made to match and then removed at the last moment and for pictures.

My mother made and beaded my wedding dress. The easiest thing to handle this is to go to the bridal department of a fabric store and find the lace collars and other sew-on lace components. They come in lots of beautiful sizes, shapes and patterns that have all finished edges. Do your beading on these pieces of lace, following the pattern of the lace, then hand-sew these beaded laces onto the dress.

This is a good idea for several reasons.

1) The lace pieces are small enough to be taken with you so you can bead in the car, on the couch, in a waiting room, etc. This is going to be an heirloom piece and is going to take you a while...you don't want to have to drag the dress around.
2) Beading can alter the 'lay' of a delicate fabric and make it look puckered and misshapen. If you bead on the lace, the loose weave is more forgiving to the beads, and when attached to the fabric, will not pucker it.
3) Doing lace components makes the job feel more manageable because you are doing several smaller pieces, instead of seeing the dress as a whole and being intimidated.
4) Nothing bad can happen to the dress while beading it because attaching the beaded lace is the last step.

Tip: Make sure you don't attach the lace only around the edges. Beads are relatively heavy, and will stretch the lace over time if not properly supported. Depending on the size of the beaded part, and the bead material, I wouldn't let more than an inch or two of lace be unsupported or not sewn onto the fabric.

Tip: Use the best quality, most appropriate stringing material for the beads you choose.

Hope that helps!
~~Mary

Moth
04-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Here is a link to examples of the types of lace components I am talking about.

LINK (http://www.littletrimmings.com/laces_yoke.html)

Have fun!!

~~Mary