PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Jump Rings

DebbieSue
04-16-2004, 10:52 PM
I have a problem with the jump rings. I put together jewelry with them, but they come apart easily. I use extra strong Beadalon because I was afraid of the bracelets and watches coming apart. But it's not the wire I wind up with a problem with. It's the jumprings. They simply stretch apart while being worn. Does anyone have a solution?

Debbie

JAM Creations
04-16-2004, 11:31 PM
I use split rings. They look like mini key rings. Have those? Most of the clasps I purchase have soldiered (sp?) jump rings so they don't come apart. Otherwise it's the split rings--

DonnaBee
04-16-2004, 11:42 PM
When you open and close them, are you opening/closing by twisting ends away from eachother, and then twisting them back toward eachother, rather than pulling them open as into a flat "C" shape?

Make sure you are doing it the first way, twisting ends away from eachother (if it is not already open) and then to close twist back the way you came and stop. No more movement than absolutely neccesary.

So you twist the jumpring open and then twist it closed, not pull open into a "C" and then bend back to a closed "O".

If that doesn't work try a heavier gauge ring.

What I do, as much as I can, is use soldered jumprings, and design around that feature wherever possible.

Hopefully someone knows how to say it clearer than me! Or has further advise. :)

I don't like the split rings (as the ones used for charms), I tried these as a solution for awhile, and found they came undone sometimes. The Beadalon loop would work it's way into the split ring groove and come apart.

DonnaBee
04-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Here is the illustration of what I was trying to describe:

http://www.rings-things.com/Projects/JR.htm

Charlee
04-17-2004, 12:31 AM
My solution to wibbly jumprings is to always get mine from Urban Maille (http://www.urbanmaille.com/). They make THE best quality rings I have ever had the good fortune to use and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Smooth as silk and they close almost invisibly. I am not affiliated with UM, and don't get a kickback. Just a fan. :D They offer a 1/2 ozt. sampler if you aren't sure about what size you need.

HTH,
Charlee

SuzyQ
04-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Another option is to bend them in an oval. Keep the split on a long side. It evens out the pressure to make it less likely to pull apart and the split will stay away from the string/wire.

LLane
04-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Debbie,
I used sterling silver jumprings and split rings to attach my "dangle" bead charms on my bracelets..... and had both of them fail with more than a few customers. I changed to stainless steel split rings... which are much stronger.... believe me.... it takes me alot more work just to attach the charms now..... but they stay put!!!.........:D :D

Good luck!
Lois

ringslingin
04-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I never seem to have enough... soon as I get some they make themselves into jewelry...HELP!

Aislyn
04-17-2004, 02:35 PM
The right ring for the job, closed properly, will not come open without a great deal of force. My jewelry is made almost entirely of rings, none are soldered, the jewelry is all quite heavy, but it's *very* strong and I never have to worry about it.

Part of the reason for this is design. I never leave a ring on its own in my designs unless it's at least 18g. Smaller than that and I put on two rings instead of one. I do that most of the time anyway, because it looks so nice, but it's also strong.

Most of the reason, though, is that the usual bead shop rings are just inherently weak. They're usually skinny and big, the worst possible combination, and soft. The fatter the ring, the stronger it is; the smaller the ring, the stronger it is. The best thing to use is the fattest, smallest ring that will fit and look nice in the design. This is why we sell the 1/2 troy ounce sample pack. It provides an assortment of ring sizes to play with and a card with all the rings printed actual size, so when you find the perfect size in the sample pack, you can put it on the card to see what it is, then you can order exactly what you need. You can see a picture of a typical sample pack on this page, 2nd picture down:

http://www.urbanmaille.com/view_category.asp?cat=33

To make sure you're closing rings properly, have a look at this tutorial:

http://www.urbanmaille.com/infopage.asp?page=10

The issue of problem jumprings comes up in every forum I visit, so what I usually do is post this information once and then I leave the issue alone, so you won't read this every time some asks about jumprings... just so you know. *s*

-- Aislyn

sassybird
04-18-2004, 02:55 PM
DebbieSue, I have had the same problem. The links everyone provided gives me ideas of how to get around that problem. Thanks folks for the wealth of information, and good luck DebbieSue:)

debkauz
04-20-2004, 12:18 PM
My solution to wibbly jumprings is to always get mine from Urban Maille (http://www.urbanmaille.com/). They make THE best quality rings I have ever had the good fortune to use and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Smooth as silk and they close almost invisibly. I am not affiliated with UM, and don't get a kickback. Just a fan. :D They offer a 1/2 ozt. sampler if you aren't sure about what size you need.

HTH,
Charlee

Ok Charlee,
Thanks a LOT! I am trying to not spend all my money and then you go and put a link like this in. :D A ton of jumprings are finding their little way to my house as we speak! Great site! :D :D :evil:
Deb

DonnaBee
04-20-2004, 12:24 PM
I think Aislyn's site is great, too. Next time I order jump rings, I am getting some from here! I am wanting that assortment pack...

beclectic
04-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Boy, talk about perfect timing. I was just getting ready to order rings and thinking about what darn sizes I needed and there is the solution. Thanks Aislyn.

I've posted your 2 links in the Jewelry Links thread to be added to the recommended links. Recommendation partially based on the information at your site and partaially based on Charlee's glowing praise.

Aislyn
04-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Ok Charlee,
Thanks a LOT! I am trying to not spend all my money and then you go and put a link like this in. :D A ton of jumprings are finding their little way to my house as we speak! Great site! :D :D :evil:
Deb

Oh, now I recognize your name, from orders filled yesterday. Let me know what you think of them, ok? And thanks. *s*

Aislyn
04-20-2004, 01:20 PM

HTH,
Charlee

I'm going to have to start a tip jar for you and throw rings into it. *wink* Thanks, Charlee. *s*

Aislyn
04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Boy, talk about perfect timing. I was just getting ready to order rings and thinking about what darn sizes I needed and there is the solution. Thanks Aislyn.

Thank you, Barbara. *s* They'll go out tomorrow, so you should have them Friday or Saturday.

Aislyn
04-20-2004, 01:33 PM
I think Aislyn's site is great, too. Next time I order jump rings, I am getting some from here! I am wanting that assortment pack...

Thanks, Donna. *s* I'd be a lot more chatty here lately if I weren't up to my eyebrows in rebuilding that site right now... just 3 months after the last time. *groan* A new layer of hell has been added on, have you heard? Shopping cart hell... avoid it at all costs. ~whimper~

MadameKali
04-20-2004, 05:24 PM
I generally make my own jump rings. I use galvanized steel (although you can use whatever metal you want), 18 or 20 g, depending on the size of the piece. I coil the wire around something, then snip the rings apart with cutters. It's not the most professional looking thing, but it's not too bad, plus I always have them when I need them :) The rings end up looking like the rings out of which I make maille.

debkauz
04-21-2004, 08:31 PM
OMG! I just got my jumprings from Aislyn! They are wonderful! They really are a thing of beauty. Can't wait to get more! Thanks so much for a great product, Aislyn! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D I highly recommend them.

Debbie

MadameKali
04-22-2004, 01:28 AM
Aislyn, as soon as I start getting paid, you will be getting orders from me... even though I have a sterling bracelet I haven't even sold yet, lol. Your rings are gorgeous! and what is that "ring tool" for on your site? (forgive my ignorance..)

Susie

Fyrsmith
04-22-2004, 04:45 AM
What Charlee said. I also just finished a byzantine bracelet with rings from Urban Maille and it it beautiful!! The rings are really stiff and they close with almost no visible gap. I have been using the jumprings I got from them for other projects, and have never seen any to compare with their quality.

-Don-

Aislyn
04-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks Debbie and Don. Sometimes I feel like a broken record saying, "No, really, these rings are different," but it's all worthwhile when I read posts like yours. *s*

Aislyn
04-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Your rings are gorgeous! and what is that "ring tool" for on your site? (forgive my ignorance..)

Susie

Thanks, Susie. *s* The ring tool fits on a finger of the non-dominant hand and a ring is fitted into a slot and closed with one pair of pliers in the other hand. It's best for 18g and smaller rings, as the slots are a bit narrow. I've only used them for demo purposes and don't feel that comfortable with them, personally, but some people really love them. They're sold in packages of 10, though, and no one needs 10, so we put one in each beginner kit so people have one to try in case they might prefer it.

beclectic
04-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Susie. *s* The ring tool fits on a finger of the non-dominant hand and a ring is fitted into a slot and closed with one pair of pliers in the other hand. It's best for 18g and smaller rings, as the slots are a bit narrow. I've only used them for demo purposes and don't feel that comfortable with them, personally, but some people really love them. They're sold in packages of 10, though, and no one needs 10, so we put one in each beginner kit so people have one to try in case they might prefer it.

I have some extras so if someone wants one I'll find out how much to mail them and then you can send me a little padded SASE and I'll mail one to you. The ones I have are either 3 or 4 slotted so that different thickness jump rings fit in different slots. I think I have 8. One rolled off somewhere. :)

PM me if you are interested.

MadameKali
04-22-2004, 01:27 PM
hmmm, I could see where that might cut down on plier markings.. but it seems like it would be more awkward than helpful! Especially making maille, I could see where it would be cumbersome.

Charlee
04-26-2004, 11:31 AM
hmmm, I could see where that might cut down on plier markings.. but it seems like it would be more awkward than helpful! Especially making maille, I could see where it would be cumbersome.

I found it to be far more useful in theory than in reality. ;) I can jam with 2 pairs of flat or chain nose pliers, but the thing on my finger just felt fiddly and awkward.

Charlee

debkauz
04-26-2004, 03:54 PM
OK, this is a testamonial for Aislyn and her jump rings. I used one for a necklace earlier this week. I did a 16G 5mm and it looked great. I got it caught on something yesterday and the jumpring never even came apart--I broke the last link on the chain instead! It wasn't soldered, or anything. Just really strong, strong, strong! If that doesn't tell you how great they are, I don't know what will.

Debbie