PDA

View Full Version : Where I'd rather be

noreenemc
04-16-2004, 02:22 PM
x-posted in Watercolor last month. Thought I'd toss it in here and see what you thought of it.

18"x24" on Arches 260# Watercolor

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2004/20414-wherefinal.jpg

Leaflin
04-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi Noreen :)
Lots of great detail in this piece.
Your light and shadows play wonderfully together.
Glad you brought it in here for us to see.

shrinkinviolet
04-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Yea, someone finally knows how to use the uploader :clap: It makes a world of difference when you are trying to critique something.
I really like this one. There is only one thing that I can see that isn't quite right. The male has awfully slender legs for such a big man.
Judy

noreenemc
04-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks Leaflin and Judy. I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

Judy, that's been bothering me too. It was a struggle trying to get the foreshortening right on that leg. I may have to put another layer or two of shadows there. 'Course he could be a little guy with really big shoulders ;)

Marty C
04-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Hi Noreen,
I think I'd rather be there too! Nicely rendered, although the leg also bothers me too. Apart from that, really good work with beautiful foreground detail and a particularly good ocean and sky.

noreenemc
04-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Hi Marty. Thanks for commenting. I'm glad someone finally noticed the sky. I was particularily proud of that wash!

I decided to post a close-up of the leg. I may be all wrong, but I think all of you are unable to see what I see when I look at the painting. The top half of his leg is in sunlight, with the shadow of the line bisecting it. Here it is. Does it clarify things?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2004/20414-where4.jpg

Marty C
04-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi Noreen,
You should be proud of the wash, it is a very good sky.
The leg issue is not so much the shading as the size. Even given the perspective the leg appears too small relative to the rest of his body. Look at the size of his foot compared to his hand. The leg in isolation appears fine, but when compared to his body it appears too small. In a sitting position, his foot should be around three feet from his torso. Given that the foot is longer than the hand, at this distance it should be the same or even slightly bigger than the hand, but in this case the foot is much smaller. Similarly, his thigh is normally much bigger than his upper arm, and even with the sitting perspective it should be at least as big as his upper arm, but again it appears much smaller. I hope this helps.

noreenemc
04-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks Marty. It does help. Don't know if I can do anything to correct it at this point, though. Maybe a redo at some point.