PDA

View Full Version : New Member

jpope
09-05-2001, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone! Just reading all the new threads. Like Keith, I like to paint photorealistic scenes, but acrylics can be tough. These are two of my efforts.:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2001/stargazer.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2001/siesta.jpg

dcheek
09-05-2001, 10:31 PM
Welcome aboard, these are great, the first looks as if it could've been a water color. Keep painting and posting. I enjoyed these.

--Dan

jpope
09-05-2001, 10:48 PM
Thanks, Dan!:)

cchapla1
09-06-2001, 06:52 AM
Wow, your work is beautiful! I like realistic works ,especially those of animals. Please post more of your acrylics.Carole:)

Stephanie
09-06-2001, 07:06 AM
I like both of these, but especially the ducks. I enjoyed your work, keep posting. :)

jpope
09-06-2001, 08:08 AM
Thanks, Carole and Stephanie! I have posted several animal paintings at the animal/wildlife site, and more flowers at the still life site. Haven't quite gotten the hang of this website yet, though I love it.:)

bug
09-06-2001, 08:27 AM
Hello and welcome, I really enjoy these they are amazing. Mallards just happen to be one of my favorite ducks to view along with woodducks (have any of those)? Excellent work thanks for sharing these. :clap:

Just tried to take a look at your site, No Luck:mad: Did anyone else have any trouble or is it just me? If not- Jpope please look into that I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing more of your work.:)

YLCIA
09-06-2001, 12:20 PM
Wow! Beautiful works!

Julia

idahogirl
09-06-2001, 07:17 PM
Hello jpope

Your paintings are terrific. Would you be willing to share some of your techniques? Do you use heavy body or liquid acrylic? Are these on canvas or some other kind of support? How are you able to get such lovely smooth passages? Do you thin your paint with water or medium? As you can see I am full of questions :) :)

Thanks,

Dee

jpope
09-07-2001, 09:05 PM
Thanks Bug and Julia! Unfortunately, my website is in sore need of repairs right now, but my web provider changed the upload procedure on me, and I can't even get to it to fix it at present. Will remedy soon.

Thanks, Deefox! In answer to your questions:

1) I'll be more than happy to share any techniques I've come up with. Most of them originated through just messing around, as I am self taught. (That probably means that I do everything backwards, and sometimes get lucky;) .

2) I generally use liquid acrylics, but will try just about anything. (Ever mix gesso and watercolor inks?) I must admit I never could master that "Use a limited palette" mantra. I hoard bottles of every color imaginable, and am often accused of buying paint like Imelda Marcos bought shoes.

3) I occasionally still use canvas, but for the last few years I have used gessoed masonite board, especially when I'm trying for more realism. I think I'm either too lazy to work on canvas or have realized that my attention span is rather short, and if a painting requires excessive smoothing or fill-ins before I get to the part I'm really wanting to paint, it goes in the closet until I'm interested in it again.

4) I try to smooth passages with multiple layers of thin paint until I'm happy with the composition and hues. Then, I generally go into a frenzy trying to get the final tone by using thicker paint in the focal points. I am also guilty of using gesso a lot to build the underpainting.

5) I sometimes use a medium when I want a tinted glaze to alter a color, but I mostly use water to thin my paints. (This is because I also like to paint in watercolor, and will often use both in the same painting).

Thanks again for your kind comments!

vallarta
09-08-2001, 03:39 PM
The flower picture is a treasure. The duck picture is fine but if your trying to get realism....then I suggest the following:

Take the painting as it now stands and then paint over it with glazes....giving both the rocks and the ducks more character and further defining the feathers.

I would like to know how you got such vibrant colors in the flower picture.....what medium do you use? Living in Arizona I have tremendous trouble with drying time being too short. Drop me a line if you can.

vallarta

crazi4art
09-08-2001, 05:41 PM
omg..........that is awesome.........i love the first one. great great job!!! superb

jpope
09-08-2001, 07:50 PM
Thanks Vallarta and Craz4art!! Vallarta, thanks for the tips. I've tried the multiple glazing for atmospheric effect on some of my paintings, and I love it, too. But I had a real struggle with the duck feathers on this one because I was afraid that individual feathers would not be identifiable from the distance I was painting from. (You can't see any feathers at all in the photograph I was working from). Oh well, I'll keep at it.:D

jpope
09-08-2001, 07:53 PM
Oh, Vallarta, I forgot. As for the medium, I used only water to thin the acrylics, but did cheat when I needed to get the deep color of the center of the flower. I used Windsor and Newton Brilliant Watercolor ink over white gesso to get the vibrant magenta.

dollardays
09-10-2001, 11:12 PM
I love both of these paintings. The colors on the flowers are so brilliant! Interesting note about the watercolor ink. The ducks are very sweet, love the realism. :clap: Nora

jpope
09-10-2001, 11:44 PM
Thanks so much, Nora! Appreciate the comments!:)

vallarta
09-12-2001, 06:25 PM
First of all get the idea you were cheating out of your mind.

In fact you used your head and got the effect you wanted. That's smart not cheating.

You might try using a 50-50 mix of acrylic glaze and water. That combination will slow down drying time.

DUCK FEATHERS:

Your not painting duck feathers ....your painting the essense of duck feathers. Like trees you dont paint every leaf...you paint a few leaves and then do what you can do to fool the viewer into seeing the other leaves.

Since your painting has the ducks in the foreground I think you owe it to the viewer to see the feathers...but its your painting and your call.....keep up the good work

vallarta

jpope
09-12-2001, 11:53 PM
Thanks, Vallarta! I appreciate your input. These ducks were a joy to,paint. Very relaxing, the day after the supposed "millenium countdown". I remember clearly the relief I felt in being able to take pictures of simple, wild animals basking in the brisk, frigid, winter air. I didn't have to worry about my computers crashing, terrorists, or aprocalyptic premonitions. All I had to do was think aout the next century...